Speaking of rules! SK2

NetWalker

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Had a game of S13: Prority Target last night and I have a fewthings to clear up.

1. I take it that crews do not CR. Do they just fade away? Well just found my own answer to that one.

2. I have no idea how this happened and I guess it is my lack of rules knowledge but in a melee we ended up with to DM units and one noen DM unit. Each side had a DM unit so we routed them away in the next route phase and thus ended the melee. On reflection I am having trouble trying to work out how we got to that stage.

3. Do units the CR in melee break or just CR? If they just CR then 2, can not have happened or do they break but still remain in melee until more melee in the next CC phase?

I must take better notes when coming up with questions instead of trying to remembr the situation.

Thanks

Paul...

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
1. Yes, when non-Japanese crews CR they fade away and disappear. If you had a Japanese infantry crew on the other hand... well, let's just say they are uber-men!

2. Not quite sure about how you got into this situation. I don't have the SK rules handy, but in ASL rules a broken unit in Melee cannot rout during the RtPh but must instead attempt to withdraw during the next CCPh. If it cannot withdraw, I think it is eliminated at the end of the CCPh.

3. Unbroken units that suffer CR while in melee just suffer CR.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Reepicheep said:
1. Yes, when non-Japanese crews CR they fade away and disappear. If you had a Japanese infantry crew on the other hand... well, let's just say they are uber-men!
I think you remember incorrectly here. A Japanese crew is affected by G1.14: "All Casualty Reduction results, regardless of how they were caused, apply in the normal manner (i.e., as per A7.302) to all types of Japanese Personnel.". So they too become eliminated by a CR result.

The difference that makes them über-men, are of course that they don't break on their first failed MC, but rather step-reduces, and then is broken instead of eliminated on their second failed MC.

2. Not quite sure about how you got into this situation. I don't have the SK rules handy, but in ASL rules a broken unit in Melee cannot rout during the RtPh but must instead attempt to withdraw during the next CCPh. If it cannot withdraw, I think it is eliminated at the end of the CCPh.
This is correct for ASL, so it is hopefully correct for ASLSK as well. Note that the withdrawal is sucessful unless eliminated during the CC, but the enemy will get a -4 DRM vs it in CC (-2 vs broken units, -2 vs withdrawing units), so it is quite unhealthy. It's not a too uncommon situation btw. My opponent won the game last friday by firing into Melee and breaking my squad while only breaking a HS of his own, forcing me to withdraw from the VC hex.

3. Unbroken units that suffer CR while in melee just suffer CR.
Correct, but note that most CR results vs squads also involves taking a MC as well. I.e. a squad that suffers a K/3 result is CR'd to a HS which then has to take a 3MC. Crew/HS is eliminated by the CR, so it doesn't matter for them, but a leader that succeeds on its survival roll on a K/3 result does not have to take the 3MC.

At least this is how it works in full ASL, so I guess/hope/think it's true for ASLSK as well.

Last edited:

da priest

Reaction score
Ole Boe said:

This is correct for ASL, so it is hopefully correct for ASLSK as well. Note that the withdrawal ....
No withdrawal in ASLSK.

The broke dudes stay until they or their enemy are Elim'd.:alien:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
da priest said:
Ok, so they simply remain in a very sorry state, suffering the -2 DRM for being broken, with the hope that it will take some time to eliminate them, or that some of their comrades can reinforce the Melee and save their butts?

residue

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
da priest said:
No withdrawal in ASLSK.

To the death!

They've sure minimized the options available to the SK player. I don't mind though, a lot easier to learn that way.

By the by: anyone currently truding along through SK2 willing to join forces in the (hopefully) near future? From what I've gathered reading various posts it seems like them bazookas and the other things that go *boom* might be a wee bit tricky to handle, not to mention master :)

A pbem game or some such perchance? In order to teach and learn and whatnot.

da priest

Reaction score
Ole Boe said:
Ok, so they simply remain in a very sorry state, suffering the -2 DRM for being broken, with the hope that it will take some time to eliminate them, or that some of their comrades can reinforce the Melee and save their butts?
Yep, unless they can self-rally..:devil:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
da priest said:
Yep, unless they can self-rally..:devil:
:eek: I hope this is something you remember incorrectly. Rally attempts by units in Melee is illegal in full ASL, so I certainly hope it's illegal in ASLSK as well...

ASLRB A11.15: "Units locked in Melee may not Interdict routing units nor conduct any activity other than CC or Withdrawal from Melee".

da priest

Reaction score
Ole Boe said:
:eek: I hope this is something you remember incorrectly. Rally attempts by units in Melee is illegal in full ASL, so I certainly hope it's illegal in ASLSK as well...

ASLRB A11.15: "Units locked in Melee may not Interdict routing units nor conduct any activity other than CC or Withdrawal from Melee".
You can relax:

From 3.8:

"If infantry from both sides (any of which is unbroken) remain in the same location after all initial CC attacks have been resolved at the end of the CCPh, they are considered to be locked in Melee and may not conduct any activity other than CC....":laugh: