Spanish Civil War

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is a tough call, if you do not mind stuff that well lets say might not be playtested to the riggers of other ASL outfits, but you love history, historical maps and do not mind working through a few warts and bumps in the road, then maybe ch is an ok choice. When I purchase something from them, I am fully aware if their short comings and pitfalls but where else will you find historical battles on Hue or Brody? As usual I will preface this with the caveat: Buyer beware if you are looking for something that is not loosy goosy ect ect.

Do you still rate Critical Hit Scott? I have only ever bought some old stuff second hand (Scotland the Brave) and a set of counters
so I'm not too knowledgeable on them

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That is a tough call, if you do not mind stuff that well lets say might not be playtested to the riggers of other ASL outfits, but you love history, historical maps and do not mind working through a few warts and bumps in the road, then maybe ch is an ok choice. When I purchase something from them, I am fully aware if their short comings and pitfalls but where else will you find historical battles on Hue or Brody? As usual I will preface this with the caveat: Buyer beware if you are looking for something that is not loosy goosy ect ect.
Thanks Scott, yeah, they seem to offer a lot that other publishers don't (I think their Berlin module looks very interesting)
I would be willing to buy from them if I saw something I really wanted I think (Possibly Berlin but got to save money right now so can't really push the button on it). I liked the Black SS counters I bought from them but I sold them off when someone told me there was errors with them (so I bought Allan Findlay's broken Ground Black SS to replace them)

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Seeing the maps, this looks like a rehash of Guerra Civil, under another name (which is, at best, confusing - the title is strange, as Condor Legion was mostly an Air Force, which developed strategic bombing : quite like calling the British Module "RAF").
At the time Guerra Civil came out (I own it, btw), I heard from a well-learned Spanish designer and developer of ASL fan made products, that the original Spanish designers were quite dissatisfied by the way their work had not been respected by CH.
The MMP project, after what I have seen, has no relation with the CH design.
Guerra Civil was a love labour by the Cebrián brothers (Juan Carlos and Francisco Javier). They were clearly dissatisfied with the treatment by CH, and this was said to me directly, but at least the final product was very enjoyable and, in words of Mark Pitcavage: "worth getting for those interested in this conflict. "
Condor Legions was the usual messing up by CH, a reprinting with modified boards and new (and better) counters (although without the flavor that Guerra Civil had; unknown to me at the time, the Cebrián brothers gave the leaders the names of the old grognards at our wargaming club; that's where my avatar comes), adding two scenarios not playtested by the original team. If anyone is enjoying Condor Legions, consider what the fun could have been if Guerra Civil could be as designed and well discussed by a publisher with excellency in its mind. Guerra Civil, in my opinion, is one outstanding product, entertaining, with the adequate chrome and, of course, well studied actions to be transformed into scenarios.
I'm eager to see what MMP has to offer about the SCW. Ready to applaud if it's well done. But I'm sharpening my knives if I see historical inconsistencies or scenarios biased by a partidist narrative. You know, there are only two military histories about the SCW worth of consideration, and, of course, are British and American written. The other sources are from the point of view of the victors, or from the private memories of the combatants of either faction. It is very hard to get the truth on the field, specially on tactical situations, and that's a matter not to be taken lightly. I hope the final product will be a worthly addition to ASL, and not one giving credit only to the personal narratives of "rojos" or "fascistas".

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Early in the covid lockdowns 3 years ago, I started giving the SCW a go for counter art. I only got as far as Nationalist MMC and the Pz IA Breda. I look forward to seeing what the official stuff will look like.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Untill you hear it from the horses mouth, I would not bank too much on hearsay. I still buy stuff from ch but I usually add the caveat for others: buyer beware. I even got an email ages ago from the designers of Guerra Civil saying how much they enjoyed working with ch and making that module. If you can find Guerra Civil give it a try it really is pretty good.
I bought the original unified CH Guerra Civil second hand (not the newer versions split across publications). I'm all in on Spanish Civil War stuff. This really was the first battles of WW2 in Europe IMHO. Really it wasn't bad at all. Some good scenarios. My only beef is the counter formats laid out differently than normal. Completely annoying.

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...adding two scenarios not playtested by the original team.
The said two scenarios were designed and playtested by my group. Several of us were huge fans of the original Guerra Civil, and we wished to add our own stamp to the revised version. As to changes made to the original scenarios, these were made based on feedback to the publisher and based on ROAR data. I thought there was an effort to contact the original designers to see if they had any input to the revised Condor Legions, but don't recall if CH had any success. I was not involved in the revised third edition, Spanish Civil War, although a few of my previously unpublished scenarios might have been thrown in without my knowledge.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Untill you hear it from the horses mouth, I would not bank too much on hearsay. I still buy stuff from ch but I usually add the caveat for others: buyer beware. I even got an email ages ago from the designers of Guerra Civil saying how much they enjoyed working with ch and making that module. If you can find Guerra Civil give it a try it really is pretty good.
.Scott this new version has no links whatsoever with the CH version so look forward to it from MMP I have the playtest stuff at home for it