Spanish Civil War

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Does anyone have good reading material they can reccomend for the Spanish Civil War? I am not looking for general histories with strategic overviews, as I have that. I have ordered They Shall Not Pass and The Ebro, 1938, through Gamers Armory, from Osprey, which cover specific battles. Does anyone have any others? The less dated the better. Getting a little bit of the designing bug back, and the SCW interests me a lot.
Thanks,
Carl

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I can recommend the one by Anthony Beevor which I have read some years ago. It gives you a good overview without being superficial. And IMHO Anthony Beevor stands up to his reputation in this one.

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can recommend the one by Anthony Beevor which I have read some years ago. It gives you a good overview without being superficial. And IMHO Anthony Beevor stands up to his reputation in this one.

von Marwitz
I recommend it highly as well. I've been trying to acquire every known book by Beevor this last 6 months, in an effort to read them all... It's not a completed project, by any means. :)

KRL, Jon H

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Appreciate the suggestions gentlemen. Please keep em coming.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Appreciate the suggestions gentlemen. Please keep em coming.
LFT No. 6 has an annotated bibliography of the SCW, complete with photos of the book covers.

If you can manage Espanol, Manuel Aznar's trilogy might float your armada. According to the blurb in LFT, it's stuffed with photos, and good analysis at the tactical and operational levels.

Zalogo's Spanish Civil War Tanks (Osprey: 2010) has an extensive bibliography, well worth the price of this small book.

dale168

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi,

I have an old copy of 'Spanish Front Writers on the Civil War' I found at a second hand book store. It's a selection of first hand accounts. Don't know if it's what your looking for, but there's some really good stuff in there from both sides - design wise it might speak to morale, ELR or some SSR flavour. Amazon has some copies.

Cheers,

Dale.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread has been well worth the asking. Any others? Thanks to all who have replied to date.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can't really help as all I have read (some time ago) is the high level strategic stuff, but would be very interested in your final reading list if you are willing to share it!

At the risk of mentioning The TPP That Shall Not Be Named, you might want to check out Guerra Civil. If you can get past its butt-ugly counters and ridiculous vehicle counter layout, it has a rep as a pretty good product from that short period when some stuff they put out was actually quality at times. I have not played it (to my shame, it has been sitting on my bookshelf since it first came out many moons ago) so cannot speak to it personally beyond repeatedly looking at it and thinking about playing it. It later received the special Ray Upgrade treatment and has been split into two ridiculously priced modules, Condor Legions and something else. I would love to get the new counters but ain't gonna shell out that sort of coin for them, and apparently the maps &c are problematic as per Pitman in the new versions. I wonder whether the original designers might still be kicking around somewhere (and possibly willing to collaborate)? Unfortunately no historical summary or bibliography with the first edition I have (at least in my version, maybe some people got them!), but definitely worth a gander if you have access to a copy without having to shellout the now ridiculous price for it, and maybe there is something in the redone versions, not sure. There is an old thread on it here with some reviews, if you can get past the "they suck-no they don't" 80% factor: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?39896-Critical-Hit-s-Guerra-Civil
Pitman probably has all the dirt on it as well.

Gentlemen,
Does anyone have good reading material they can reccomend for the Spanish Civil War? I am not looking for general histories with strategic overviews, as I have that. I have ordered They Shall Not Pass and The Ebro, 1938, through Gamers Armory, from Osprey, which cover specific battles. Does anyone have any others? The less dated the better. Getting a little bit of the designing bug back, and the SCW interests me a lot.
Thanks,
Carl

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Damn, Pitman and I actually agree on something, and it seems I was wrong, there was only one new overpriced and flawed product (Condor Legions):

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldcrithit2.html#historical

Can't really help as all I have read (some time ago) is the high level strategic stuff, but would be very interested in your final reading list if you are willing to share it!

At the risk of mentioning The TPP That Shall Not Be Named, you might want to check out Guerra Civil. If you can get past its butt-ugly counters and ridiculous vehicle counter layout, it has a rep as a pretty good product from that short period when some stuff they put out was actually quality at times. I have not played it (to my shame, it has been sitting on my bookshelf since it first came out many moons ago) so cannot speak to it personally beyond repeatedly looking at it and thinking about playing it. It later received the special Ray Upgrade treatment and has been split into two ridiculously priced modules, Condor Legions and something else. I would love to get the new counters but ain't gonna shell out that sort of coin for them, and apparently the maps &c are problematic as per Pitman in the new versions. I wonder whether the original designers might still be kicking around somewhere (and possibly willing to collaborate)? Unfortunately no historical summary or bibliography with the first edition I have (at least in my version, maybe some people got them!), but definitely worth a gander if you have access to a copy without having to shellout the now ridiculous price for it, and maybe there is something in the redone versions, not sure. There is an old thread on it here with some reviews, if you can get past the "they suck-no they don't" 80% factor: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?39896-Critical-Hit-s-Guerra-Civil

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, I own the product. It wasn't half bad. It had some of the flaws that you will see when you rush something too much. Still, the flaws weren't of the major, you can't play this variety. They were pretty small as I recall. Most of the scenarios were fun. Looking to try and head out in my own direction on this one, and find a campaign that would generate some good scenarios as well as a CG. Once I think it is at a place where it needs to be, then I will shop it around. Just in the research, germ of an idea phase at the moment.

As for the full reading list, sure, be happy to share. I am just letting the ideas and suggestions flow in, and then the acquisition phase will start in earnest.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The newer version? Or the original? I wouldn't mind getting the counters from the newer version from someone who was willing to part with it... ;-)

There should be lots of material on battles that have not even been looked at for your project, as good as Guerra Civil and a few related SCW scenarios (Italian Brothers and the like) are, they only scratch the surface. Lots of possibilities for partisan action too if you are into that. If I come across anything interesting to read I will let you know. Cheers!

Actually, I own the product. It wasn't half bad. It had some of the flaws that you will see when you rush something too much. Still, the flaws weren't of the major, you can't play this variety. They were pretty small as I recall. Most of the scenarios were fun. Looking to try and head out in my own direction on this one, and find a campaign that would generate some good scenarios as well as a CG. Once I think it is at a place where it needs to be, then I will shop it around. Just in the research, germ of an idea phase at the moment.

As for the full reading list, sure, be happy to share. I am just letting the ideas and suggestions flow in, and then the acquisition phase will start in earnest.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guerra Civil, the original version is the one I own. I completely agree that the SCW remains almost untouched ground in the ASL system. Including Guerra Civil and the more recent LFT effort, there still remains fewer than 30 scenarios on the war in the whole game system I would guess. Finding something that has not been done yet, should not be that tough. I recall one scenario from WCW pack, way back in the day, Los Ejectro Nuevos, I believe was the title. Paddington Bears I recall doing A Civil War, Not a Gentlemen's War. Fort had a SCW scenario in a recent action pack, and there have been a couple of others, along with the the efforts that focused on it above. Still, finding untouched ground should be the easy part :).

Once I do settle on a campaign, I want to give it as thorough a treatment as I can manage. I also want to do at least one stand alone scenario for the 20th anniversary of the Noreaster.

So I think it will be fun. I will be happy to post what I picked up for reading material and my impressions of same in another post, once I get the stuff rolling in.

The newer version? Or the original? I wouldn't mind getting the counters from the newer version from someone who was willing to part with it... ;-)

There should be lots of material on battles that have not even been looked at for your project, as good as Guerra Civil and a few related SCW scenarios (Italian Brothers and the like) are, they only scratch the surface. Lots of possibilities for partisan action too if you are into that. If I come across anything interesting to read I will let you know. Cheers!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

the "partisan actions" set the course for the most bitter and no quarter fighting that would accomodate as a standard in all countries for partisans in WW2. One would think and agree a plethora of wealth exists in using such actions to create a playable " Action Pack" type of design, replete with a new board.

:)

KRL, jon H