Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Both sound good.

Now Korea would give us a chance to play some folks we haven't seen before in ASL-- the Turks.

Read a good book several years ago ( the title escapes me now), a first-person account on his time in Korea. This American's unit was sent to take over some positions on a ridge occupied by Turkish troops. The Americans noticed there were dozens of poles, about one meter high, set out in a line about 5o meters in front of the Turk's positions. On top of each pole was the head of a North Korean/Chinese soldier. When asked why they did that, the Turkish commander replied "It is let them know who they are dealing with and what we will do to them if they attack us again". BTW - the Chinese and NK troops did attack, but only after the Turks moved out and the Americans moved in. Serious stuff!
Probably Anthony Herbert's book - the most decorated soldier in Korea. He later wrote SOLDIER about his time as a battalion CO in the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam, from which he was shitcanned.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably Anthony Herbert's book - the most decorated soldier in Korea. He later wrote SOLDIER about his time as a battalion CO in the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam, from which he was shitcanned.
Yeah, I think that is the guy I quoted in ye old foxhole debate. I believe the quote was along the lines that foxholes were intended to fight from...as opposed to being used as a line of retreat and/or last ditch defense.