Spanish Civil War ASL or Korean War ASL

Spanish Civil War ASL or Korean War ASL

• Total voters

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both choices can be currently gamed using the ASL counters already available. ESG has published a Korean scenario. CH has published good modules for both theaters.

The problem is that there is little interest in playing them. ASL is basically a WWII game.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Silly statement, given that there were no tank to tank encounters in Korea...:p

Might be refereshing to have some scenarios that don't have a garage worth of weird tanks...
Actually there were...
at least one that I know of for sure, and I believe there was a second. Both were USMC actions vs T-34/85s.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Actually there were...
at least one that I know of for sure, and I believe there was a second. Both were USMC actions vs T-34/85s.
I guess that leaves only 80% of the scenarios in our hypothetical box as infantry-only, then. :)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a big fan of SCW so voted for that. Marginal troops, tin can tanks (T26s, Pz Is, sheet metal clad mid-size sedans, er, armored cars), fragile SWs, multi-national participants, Dinamiteros (dynamite-wielding assault engineer wannabes). Me likee.

I also think CH did a great job with their GCW module. I'd love to see more SCW stuff.

Cheers!

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both choices can be currently gamed using the ASL counters already available. ESG has published a Korean scenario. CH has published good modules for both theaters.

The problem is that there is little interest in playing them. ASL is basically a WWII game.
I think that interest would come from reading and learning more about the Korean conflict or any conflict for that matter. It appears to me that if there is little knowledge about an event there is little interest. I agree that ASL is basically a WWII game.... because WWII was the biggest event of the 20th Century and there is much to grab our interest in that conflict..... it would follow that ASL is in that mold. I would not be surprised if the next Operations Special issue has another HASL module.... on Korea. Uh...Chas!

Best regards,:salute:
John

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Maybe it's more because they're from CH and ESG, and not an offical module?
Not saying ESG is bad, but it doesn't have the kudos and reach of MMP. On CH I will say nowt.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Went with the SCW over Korea. Tin can vs. tin can and crappy infantry vs crappy infantry makes one use more forethought to their battle plan.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted Korea but like both-

I have and like Guerra Civil, not a big fan of the CH vehicle and gun counters, but overall, very nice.

My opinion but- any Korea effort should be done with new counters for the North and South Koreans, Chinese, and any new U.N. toys.

I have not heard about the status of the MMP Korea Project in some time....?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please write us something in Korean.
My computer will not support THEM characters....

But, I would like to say that I drove through the TF Smith battlefield this last weekend. 6 inches of rain prevented me from walking the battlefield.

My next trip in September, I will visit many areas arounf the Pusan perimeter.

No one ask about visiting Pork Chop Hill. That location is within the DMZ and has been unoccupied for a very LONG time.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My computer will not support THEM characters....

But, I would like to say that I drove through the TF Smith battlefield this last weekend. 6 inches of rain prevented me from walking the battlefield.

My next trip in September, I will visit many areas arounf the Pusan perimeter.

No one ask about visiting Pork Chop Hill. That location is within the DMZ and has been unoccupied for a very LONG time.
:D:thumup: Kevin,
Look on the CMH site for the Book/PAM "COMBAT ACTIONS IN THE KOREAN WAR" by Russell A. Gugeler. A wealth of great tactical vignettes, maps, OBs, references and a lot of cool stuff for designing scenarios if you're into that. Would also be a great pocket carry along (if you can get a hard copy) for "Battlefield Walks" (at least for the actions in the south). You can access the digital version through AKO (Army Knowledge Online) or just go to the CMH site...no charge, vey little hassle, pretty easy to get to as there seems to be a renewal of intrest in the Korean war in the US Army.

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please write us something in Korean.
I could, but it would violate the forum decorum rules fairly blatantly:devious:
.....If any of you Korea "vets" are out there........ you know the one about mom and bald headed monkeys:hush:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been fascinated by Spanish Civil War ASL ever since I got involved in a discussion about a projected HASL for it, back in the ASLML days.

I think both SCW and KW would work in ASL, and I would not object to either. I have yet to play any of the existing SCW scenarios, and I've played one KW scenario (Obong-Ni).

I voted for SCW because my (limited) reading about KW battles makes them seem pretty monochrome, terrain-wise and troop-wise.

Even though I don't need or want more ASL counters, I would actually prefer to see the SCW done with new counters, because I think it would be hard to do it justice while sticking to existing limits. Either you use one WWII nationality per side, in which case it's not really SCW after all, or you use a riot of existing nationalities' counters for each side to get all the details right, in which case you end up with a confused mess.

What I do not want is to see three different producers come out with three different versions of the units and rules for the war -- either war. I would much rather have official rules for these things created through MMP, than have a CH version and a HOB version and a ___ version.

John

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both sound good.

Now Korea would give us a chance to play some folks we haven't seen before in ASL-- the Turks.

Read a good book several years ago ( the title escapes me now), a first-person account on his time in Korea. This American's unit was sent to take over some positions on a ridge occupied by Turkish troops. The Americans noticed there were dozens of poles, about one meter high, set out in a line about 5o meters in front of the Turk's positions. On top of each pole was the head of a North Korean/Chinese soldier. When asked why they did that, the Turkish commander replied "It is let them know who they are dealing with and what we will do to them if they attack us again". BTW - the Chinese and NK troops did attack, but only after the Turks moved out and the Americans moved in. Serious stuff!

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Both sound good.

Now Korea would give us a chance to play some folks we haven't seen before in ASL-- the Turks.

Read a good book several years ago ( the title escapes me now), a first-person account on his time in Korea. This American's unit was sent to take over some positions on a ridge occupied by Turkish troops. The Americans noticed there were dozens of poles, about one meter high, set out in a line about 5o meters in front of the Turk's positions. On top of each pole was the head of a North Korean/Chinese soldier. When asked why they did that, the Turkish commander replied "It is let them know who they are dealing with and what we will do to them if they attack us again". BTW - the Chinese and NK troops did attack, but only after the Turks moved out and the Americans moved in. Serious stuff!
Hard core dude. :crosseye:

Last edited: