SP10 Bring Up The Boys

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Played this one last night and boy-oh-boy did we find it tough on the Brits. Anyone got a sure fire strategy for defending this? In our game, the Brits defended fairly far forward and were just overwhelmed by the Germans, who came in mostly on the left using armoured assault. By the end of turn 4 there were no Brits left on the board.....

ROAR has it at 27-41 (make that 27-42 now) in the Germans favour and I'm wondering if there's a "trick" to this one?

Cheers

Ian (who will probably avoid this one at Heroes.....)

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played this twice: once as the Germans, in which I won fairly handily, and once as the Brits, in which I got stomped.

I think the hardest situation to play in ASL is the "no tanks" side in a "no tanks vs tanks" scenario. In the hands of a skilled opponent it is difficult avoid being overwhelmed if you have no decent AT weapons, and an AT rifle is not a decent weapon :shock:

I think in Boys the Brit must use the village terrain to maximize Street Fighting vs the German tanks; but even so it is a tough scenario for the Brits since Street Fighting is an "iffy" proposition at best. I would therefore not set up far forward, with the possible exception of the AT rifle, and instead allow the AFVs to enter the village. The trick will be to somehow hinder the German infantry from moving too freely as well.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
We had plenty of streetfighting, although the village is such that AFVs can avoid the roads and not get caught up in streetfighting... Mind you, it also helps if the units streetfighting don't roll 12's (twice). The defenders also have to make some pretty tough choices about where to set up - too far back and you cede too many buildings without a shot being fired.

Fun, but a stompathon for the poor old Brits.

Cheers

Ian

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played this scenario in a tournament a few years back and if you have a skilled German opponent, who knows how to use VBM freeze, this is an extremely difficult scenario for the British to win. If your opponent, for whatever reason, doesn't use VBM freeze then it becomes a very winnable scenario for the Brits. The only thing I can figured out is that whoever designed it didn't take into account the VBM freeze tactic because IMHO it really throws the balance off in this one.