SP Twilight Game

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Morning all,

Had the pleasure of playing SP number 97 recently against my regular opponent Rich recently after coming off of a streak of games where my luck was sub-par, i.e. firing about 20 panzerfausts over several games and having that feeling I couldn't hit a barn if I was shooting from inside of it. So we went for this late war game with me on the defense.

Below is my setup and then a setup pulled from the SP writeup (approximate, they state about where to put things, so the 2nd one lines up with what they have to say about it).

setups.PNG
Of course the big difference in the setups is the placement of the Jagpanther. I liked it in the building to be tougher to hit, but limits my ability to rotate. I thought my flank would be protected. The writeup has it in K1 or K2 as shown on the right. I figured I'd go with my defense here as it was accomplishing a similar mission in trying to shut down the end-rout and using terrain to protect my flank.

To my horror, Rich drives his first T34 into firing position and strips concealment on the tank with a cmg/bmg shot!!!!

end of turn1.PNG

So much for my pride in ignoring the setup suggestions!

The sequence then goes as follows:

Delay, delay, delay,
APCR to hit, no APCR
AP to hit, miss (needed a 3)
tank drives off

Next T34,

Moves to firing position, delays, CE,
8-1 HMG opens up, MC, rate, crew laughs at MC
APCR to hit, no APCR
AP to hit, miss (needed a 4), rate
AP to hit, miss
tank drives off

Next T34,

Moves to firing position, delays, CE,
8-1 HMG opens up, miss, rate, crew laughs at HMG
APCR to hit, miss
tank drives off

Luckily for me no more tanks on that side, others move to the hilltop in preparation for next turn as shown on the right

For me, the shrek opens up on a tank that moved and misses

In the next half turn below, the Shrek bags a T34, misses with a PF and is broken/ELR'd by the other T34 (there is a building under the wire blocks LOS to the middle tank)

With no LOS, my JagV moves out to take up firing positions on the vehicles on the hill, and to get terrain (and infantry) between me and the T34's on the right.

mid-t2 action.PNG
After moving, I get off a shot and roll snakes to kill the lead T34 on the hill (my luck is changing big time)

As turn 2 kicks off, the first SU-152 lumbers off the hill, I shoot and miss by 1. The T34's on the right mess with the unbroken conscript in the foxhole and move on the JagV, the two SU-152's move into firing positions on my side armor after my first shot missed, the only thing to do is IF on the vehicle on the left, rolling snakes takes this one down.

The 8-1 SU-152 fires HE into my frontal armor (hitting the hull), note special rule, a turret hit auto-malf's the gun. My CE crew takes a 4 MC and is little stunned, taking a serious bell ringing.

end.PNG
In the bottom of my 2, my stunned crew comes back, ,kills the SU-152 at a two hex range, and then spins to malf, the BMG at the threatening T34. The 436 in the foxhole manages to find and connect with both PF's effectively ending the game.

This game really turned on the multiple misses on my poorly chosen vehicle setup hex in T1 as well as two sets of snake eyes to kill vehicles and at least one long odds shot with a PF. A very exciting game to say the least and should have been even more so if the luck was not so one-sided. Will look forward to the next one.

Merry Christmas to all......

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
B26.1 Wire cannot be moved, and does not affect normal stacking limits. Only one Wire counter is allowed per Location. Wire can be set up in any terrain except buildings, rubble, sewers, marsh, or Water Obstacles (unless frozen)

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is Grain treated in this scenario? Is that Level 1 hill or Sand in the displays?