SP 260. Frosty the Snowman Question

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario card shows T-26 M33s.

The scenario analysis talks abot T-26 M32s.

Which ones???

Thanks

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would never play a scenario based on what a magazine analysis said, be it an SP, CH or MMP scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is; what are the correct tanks for the scenario?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having not read the scenario analysis, I would go with the T26 M33's. I will attempt to play a scenario with the forces annotated on the scenario card unless there is an errata or an obvious error (I think thereas once a scenario published with SL counters shown in the OB for instance). The analysis could simply have been a misprint or he just DF'ed it when writing the article.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is; what are the correct tanks for the scenario?
Only Evan Sherry can answer that question, and, as it says in the magazine, you must email him directly for an answer.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The scenario card shows T-26 M33s.

The scenario analysis talks abot T-26 M32s.

Which ones???

Thanks
The ones without spotlights. ;)

I believe that the attack occurred just after midday, and am pretty certain that the AFV on the scenario card are intended to be T-26 M33.

But maybe they ought to be M31s. :confused:

---------------
A cautious step into Mr. Weir's Weird World of AFV suggests that...

The T-26 M32 was more often found in Soviet Light Tank Brigades of this period, as well as the tank battalion organic to a Rifle Division. These brigades and battalions were composed primarily of M31s, (along with T-37As/T-38s in the divisional tank battalions) with M32s providing the only real "tank-stopping" firepower in each company. Each Rifle Division Tank Battalion usually fielded two tank companies, only one of which was composed of T-26s, and then only M31s (I think), with an M32 for the company commander. Therefore, I am skeptical that four of these M32 oddities (only 96 were built) would have participated in the attack represented in the scenario without the support of a great many more M31s, T-37s, etc.

To make matters worse, I checked my sources, and could not find a bonafide reference to the presence of a "95th Tank Battalion" in Finland during this period. (There may have been one, but the tank battalions of Soviet Rifle Divisions of the period tend to have three numerals, e.g. the 339th of the 90th Rifle Division.) Moreover, some cross referencing suggests that Capt. Yanov (mentioned in the historical blurb) was actually the commander of the 436th Tank Bn (organic to the 138th Rifle Division).

But sticking with Hugh's design, I'd wager that these are (rightly or wrongly) M33--from the 7th Army's 10th Tank Corps, perhaps?