SP 18 An Arm and a Leg

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
SSR 2
The American 9-1 Leader is Heroic (A15.21) and has a -2 drm for wound severity. The provisions of A17.11 are cumulative with this drm.

so. fails first morale check, can't be killed, he's just wounded by default.

Fails 2nd morale check what happens next? Is he treated as a hero or a leader for the second wound?

Enquiring minds are keen to know.

Cheers

Paul

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe only a +1 to the wound severity dr (cumulative) is applied to its wound severity as a Leader as only A17.11 was mentioned in the SSR and not 17.1.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely takes more than two wound checks to stop Inouye...

... far ahead of his men, Inouye charged ahead, taking out one German gun team with a grenade and a second with his Thompson submachine gun. But, while he was crouching towards the last Nazi emplacement with a grenade in his right hand, he was struck by a rifle-propelled grenade that all but tore off his right arm at the elbow.

His own grenade, he later recalled, was still “clenched in a fist that suddenly didn’t belong to me anymore.” Fearing that it was about to detonate, he tore it from his palm and threw it straight at the Nazi’s machine gun. After it detonated, he took his Thompson gun and fired on the German gunners to make sure they were dead before falling unconscious.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless that SSR 2 specifically contravenes ASLRB A15.2 (maybe the inferrence is that it does) the 2nd wound is fatal in game terms.

Maybe ask the publisher.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A wounded hero that fails a MC is eliminated. A wounded hero that gets a K result? The PS:

A7.302, A10.31, A15.2, & A17.
Is a wounded hero that suffers Casualty Reduction wounded again or eliminated? One that suffers a Casualty MC?
A. The hero would be eliminated in either case.
The SP expectation that the future Senator thereafter would die only on a 6 didn't expect this understanding of15.2 or that he wounds as a leader. A15.2 does not imply that a K to a wounded hero is death but that is the published understanding.

G1.4 does describe Japanese SMC that get a Casualty MC are eliminated.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks,
You raise a good question and I agree the SSR could be clearer.

In hindsight it should have said 'the heroic leader wounds as a leader with a -2 wound severity drm'. However it also does not not say 'the heroic leader's first wound is automatically not fatal, of course subsequent wounds for the hero are fatal as usual'.

Given the historical story, and the thought that the drm would have no reason to be 'cumulative' if wounding as a hero where the second wound is auto-death, I suggest the wounding as a leader interpretation makes sense.

Just my opinion. You could always ask Evan directly.

-Paul

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In hindsight it should have said 'the heroic leader wounds as a leader with a -2 wound severity drm'.
Given the historical story, and the thought that the drm would have no reason to be 'cumulative' if wounding as a hero where the second wound is auto-death, I suggest the wounding as a leader interpretation makes sense.
Agreed.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In Evan's analysis of SP18 in SP#2 (he's both the designer and analyzer), he wrote "SSR #3 ensures he will survive his first wound. Thereafter he will die only on a wound severity of six." Even obviously thought the 9-1 would wound as a leader, not as a hero.
I think this nails it for me. The rules as written, according to my understanding, mean a second MC or worse would eliminate the heroic 9-1. But, it is clear from the designer notes ( should’ve read those first) that the SSR is written to create an exception to that rule.
thanks to all who responded.
cheers

Paul

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
In Evan's analysis of SP18 in SP#2 (he's both the designer and analyzer), he wrote "SSR #3 ensures he will survive his first wound. Thereafter he will die only on a wound severity of six." Even obviously thought the 9-1 would wound as a leader, not as a hero.
Or he missed the fact that a wounded hero is automatically eliminated when wounded again.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I guess that Q&A did not exist at the time the scenario was published. And nothing in the RB clearly states that a CR kills automatically a wounded hero (i.e., a CR is not a failed MC).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
G1.4 does describe Japanese SMC that get a Casualty MC are eliminated. == That is the reference that I could find that must be extended to A15.2.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember, that it was not good for a Leader to become Heroic due to the Wounding thingy. For a long time.

von Marwitz

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, a 9-2 that fails a morale check (although an 'oh shit' moment) can rally back to action multiple times. But a heroic leader dies 33% of the time on the first failed MC, and always on the 2nd.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The question is: where is it written in the RB that a CR kills automatically a wounded hero? (i.e., a CR is not a failed MC).

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is: where is it written in the RB that a CR kills automatically a wounded hero? (i.e., a CR is not a failed MC).
A CH will only automatically kill a hero is if he is manning a Gun (per the last sentence of C3.71). Otherwise he might live.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't.
eASLRB said:
A7.302 K/#: ...Casualty Reduction ... wounds any SMC it applies to ...
eASLRB said:
A15.2 HEROES ... If a wounded hero fails a MC it is eliminated ...
eASLRB said:
A17.1 ... A wound occurs as a result of Casualty Reduction or Sniper attack. In addition, an unwounded hero is considered wounded instead of broken whenever it fails a MC. ...