Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yanks lost (no :surprise:). TB won and Red Sox lost so TB goes up 5.5. :hurray:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sizemore vs Granderson Young stud CFs in the AL Central. Which one would you rather have? Discuss. I have one of them in a 20 team keeper SIM league so I'm happy except that I'm a WhiteSox fan too so we have to play BOTH of those dudes 17 times a year. Defense counts, not just an artificial 4x4 roto or anything like that.

It seems too that there are several (lots actually) very young highly rated CF prospects in their 1st or 2nd year in the league or AAA. However Granderson and Sizemore are proven young studs. Not just hype and speculation.

Lastly, Yankees are DONE for the next 4-6 years. Boston and TB are stacked for years to come. For his blood pressure's sake, Georgie just better get used to 3rd or worse. Hughes, the next Mark Prior.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sizemore vs Granderson Young stud CFs in the AL Central. Which one would you rather have? Discuss. I have one of them in a 20 team keeper SIM league so I'm happy except that I'm a WhiteSox fan too so we have to play BOTH of those dudes 17 times a year. Defense counts, not just an artificial 4x4 roto or anything like that.

It seems too that there are several (lots actually) very young highly rated CF prospects in their 1st or 2nd year in the league or AAA. However Granderson and Sizemore are proven young studs. Not just hype and speculation.

Well he definately gets the Tribe offense going, like a good leadoff man should.

Some say bat him 3rd due to his emerging power- and although I thought this might be good at one time (trying to save the '08 season), once Martinez and Hafner come back I'd think he will be leadoff for good.

Last edited:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here ya go Bret. Proof of ARod not being clutch (and it goes back to his days before the Yankees):

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-arod083108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I read the article and it is funny...it seems like when you need him, A Rod is a no show. Yet his numbers otherwise are...well, fantastic. I wonder what's up with that ie hero or zero?

If memory serves, Bonds in his one post season ie when the Giants played the Angels? The As? In the world Series, Bonds was also a no show for post season batting. He was there in body but not in action....

Mark DV
Ada, MI

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read the article and it is funny...it seems like when you need him, A Rod is a no show. Yet his numbers otherwise are...well, fantastic. I wonder what's up with that ie hero or zero?

If memory serves, Bonds in his one post season ie when the Giants played the Angels? The As? In the world Series, Bonds was also a no show for post season batting. He was there in body but not in action....

Mark DV
Ada, MI
Bonds played in a few playoff series with Pittsburgh back in the day; wasn't much of a factor, then, either.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here ya go Bret. Proof of ARod not being clutch (and it goes back to his days before the Yankees):
I'm not a big believer in clutch stats. Basically A-Rod was clutch last year (top 10 in all of baseball) but suddenly he's amazingly unclutch this year? What happened? Madonna put a curse on him? Meh.

Let's see - Grady or Granderson - take Grady. He's 2 years younger (actually 1 year 5 months) which means a lot at that age. A longer track record of success for Grady too w/o the injuries. Granderson's good, but Grady has a much better chance to retire a HOFer.

And the Rays have a dome so their attendance woes may be more due to people wanting to hang out in the sun and humidity at the beach than soak in the glorious AC of the Trop. In general I think the Tampa/St. Pete fans didn't really believe in the team for a long time and just are not in the habit of going to games since the team has always sucked. The game I went to at the Trop was well attended despite KC being in town...

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
UPDATE

I have 4 Baseball Cards, not 3 as was mentioned previously. There was a 1990(?) Curt Schilling(Astros) in my APBA Golf Game. Also found was a Fearless Leader piece from the Bullwinkle Game.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Mark DV
Ada, MI
It was the Angels and he did show up: 8-17 4 hr 13 bb

With the Pirates he was always a no show.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm not a big believer in clutch stats. Basically A-Rod was clutch last year (top 10 in all of baseball) but suddenly he's amazingly unclutch this year? What happened? Madonna put a curse on him? Meh.
How can you say that? Last year was the only year he came thru when it mattered. I didn't know about before his time in NY but just what I saw once he showed up in NY. This backs up what I've been saying all along and it even goes back to cover his entire career. He is not a guy you want up in the clutch.

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
Madonna put a curse on him? Meh.
Curse? Nah... nasty case of the clap? Mebbe!

And the Rays have a dome so their attendance woes may be more due to people wanting to hang out in the sun and humidity at the beach than soak in the glorious AC of the Trop. In general I think the Tampa/St. Pete fans didn't really believe in the team for a long time and just are not in the habit of going to games since the team has always sucked. The game I went to at the Trop was well attended despite KC being in town...
Never been to the Trop, but I gotta agree with Jerry Remy when he says the place should be blown up. Playing there has gotta be like playing a game of backyard whiffle ball. "Okay... hit that catwalk and it's a double... hit that one it's a triple, but only for thursday night games..." :devious: There's no SSR's in baseball! :)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never been to the Trop, but I gotta agree with Jerry Remy when he says the place should be blown up. Playing there has gotta be like playing a game of backyard whiffle ball. "Okay... hit that catwalk and it's a double... hit that one it's a triple, but only for thursday night games..." :devious: There's no SSR's in baseball! :)
I've been to 2 games at the Trop and was pleasantly surprised by the experience. Perhaps it's because my expectations were so low based on comments like Remy's, but I found it an OK place to watch a game. The field turf and dirt infield make it seem more like a real park than most domes. It's still a dome, but frankly I certainly appreciated the AC the dome offered vs. the heat and humidity of June/July for the games I was at...

Now the Rays are trying to get something new built, but last I heard that was on hold. This year may help 'em get something done although it's kinda' sad that year 11 of the franchise they're already hoping to switch parks...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How can you say that? Last year was the only year he came thru when it mattered.
As a Yankee, twice he's in the top half, last year in the top eighth, but the other 3 he's terrible. If it's a real skill, shouldn't there be more consistency than that? I mean we don't see Adam Dunn's Batting Average fluctuate like that, but "clutch" stats do - makes me think it's random flukiness more than inate skill.

He is not a guy you want up in the clutch.
Depends on which team you're rooting for! :devious:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As a Yankee, twice he's in the top half, last year in the top eighth, but the other 3 he's terrible. If it's a real skill, shouldn't there be more consistency than that? I mean we don't see Adam Dunn's Batting Average fluctuate like that, but "clutch" stats do - makes me think it's random flukiness more than inate skill.

Depends on which team you're rooting for! :devious:
Look at the last number. The one labeled "clutch." ;)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dustin Pedroia went 3-for-5 with two doubles, giving him 200 hits and 50 doubles this season. The only other Red Sox players to do that were Tris Speaker in 1912 and Wade Boggs in 1989.
From ESPN. Good company for the sparkplug; no sign <knocking on wood> of a sophmore jinx here...

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From ESPN. Good company for the sparkplug; no sign <knocking on wood> of a sophmore jinx here...

Your boy is in company of Tris Speaker AND Ted Williams?

He's a loser, in the Tom Brady I'm taking over for Drew Bledsoe sense of the word loser....

Yeesh, if only I could be a loser like that...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Your boy is in company of Tris Speaker AND Ted Williams?

He's a loser, in the Tom Brady I'm taking over for Drew Bledsoe sense of the word loser....

Yeesh, if only I could be a loser like that...

Mark DV
Ada, MI
You are a loser like that... without the success. :p