Sox and Yanks

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried going back several pages to see who this Scolari is with no success. Who is this Scolari that is being referred to?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Donna Dixon was my first TV crush. Wowzers! I watched that show just to see her. I liked both the guys and wasn't surprised that one of them made it big. Although Hanks career could have died after that awful D&D movie.
I hear the object of D&D is to get as many demons on your side.

Overheard by my best friend as his parents and others were talking about it. :laugh:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would like to see the Rays in the WS but I know better than to pick against the Red Sox. They seem on a mission to prove what a cancer Manny was becoming. Only thing in the Rays favor is they seem to not care about their lack of experience. Red Sox in 4.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see the Rays in the WS but I know better than to pick against the Red Sox. They seem on a mission to prove what a cancer Manny was becoming. Only thing in the Rays favor is they seem to not care about their lack of experience. Red Sox in 4.
The Red Sox have francoma as manager, Papelblownsave as closer and a catcher who hits as if using a wet paper towel roll. Sox in 5 or 6.

The more interesting prognostication is how many brawls??

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would be a start. Something needs to be done or we'll never see the Pirates or Royals win again (two teams with a rich history until recently).
I agree. Make some decent draft picks, get a good farm system, don't trade away good prospects, and get some coaches.

And pay the guys that produce.

Lester
Pedrioia(sp)
Ellsbury
Youkilis
Lowell was a great addition at a giveaway price...

Others helped, even if we had to trade them to get rid of Manny..
Hansen
Moss

So we paid dearly for Matzusaka, it was us or the Yanks...maybe we overpaid for Drew. Nobody's perfect, but he's come around nicely. Many's salary was a nice dump, and we got a heck of a ball player in Bay to replace his lazy arse. Curt gets a chunk of change for sure, but did he contribute this year? daw

I don't want to hear any more spiteful whining about how the Sox and Yanks are gonna win every year because they spend money to get ringers. It does fit the Yanks, but can you really put them and the RedSox in the same category? It takes more than cash to win.

Look at the Rays for crying out loud. IMHO, there are no excuses for a team that performs sub par year after year. There are other things preventing success for these teams, look deeper. It would seem that the Rays did, and the turnaround is as dramatic as could be.

:devious:

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Red Sox have francoma as manager, Papelblownsave as closer and a catcher who hits as if using a wet paper towel roll. Sox in 5 or 6.

The more interesting prognostication is how many brawls??
Too bad about Lowell, I really like the guy.

I got the sox in 4 on the button last time, but I don't feel so confident this time around, it might be the year of the Ray....they are good, really good.

But I've been a Sox fan since '67. SOX IN 6

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. Make some decent draft picks, get a good farm system, don't trade away good prospects, and get some coaches.
I think the key difference between the Sox and Yanks is Epstein's philosophy of not giving long term, high priced contracts to guys over 33 years old. You get burned too badly if the guy suddenly ages over night. See Johnny Damon, Pedro Martiniez, Kevin Millar, Trot Nixon and soon-to-be-over-the hill and WAY OVER-PRICED... Manny Ramirez.

He spends the same amount of money on guys in the 26-30 year old range and lets them spend their primes wearing red, then doesn't stay emotionally attached and hold onto them too long.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think the key difference between the Sox and Yanks is Epstein's philosophy of not giving long term, high priced contracts to guys over 33 years old. You get burned too badly if the guy suddenly ages over night. See Johnny Damon, Pedro Martiniez, Kevin Millar, Trot Nixon and soon-to-be-over-the hill and WAY OVER-PRICED... Manny Ramirez.

He spends the same amount of money on guys in the 26-30 year old range and lets them spend their primes wearing red, then doesn't stay emotionally attached and hold onto them too long.
Sounds like a good plan. Steinbrenner ought to do the same but he's too stupid. :nada:

Sure the small market teams can win every so often but can't consistently. They are usually out of it around the All Star break. The teams with $100 million payrolls are in it until the last month or so. :angry:

Too bad about Lowell but we can see him again in the WS. :thumup:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Rays get a win to even the series. Back to Boston to see if they can hit Lester.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
They don't have to; all they need to do is put francoma in position to make a decision. Timlin??? Shee-it, the batboy would've been a better choice.
Ump kinda squeezed him in the last game. I wish he called the SZ in the first game. DiceK would've walked 100 and Tampa would be up 2-0 going back to Boston.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soooo...

Here I am thinking about how I will congratulate the Rays for their marvelous season, and a worthy series win against the Sox..down 7-0 in the 7th. PTI sez the odds of the Sox winning at this point were less than 1%.

After watching this comeback, I gladly can put this kind of talk aside, at least for the moment. I was simply stunned...numbed by the apparent miracle just produced by these Red Sox. The talk around the office all day long was about how each of us was affected by the various parts of the comeback. Even the Doctor from NY was pleased by the game, and he is a Yankees fan.

Well, even if the Rays do win it, I can say that the Sox went out having fired their ammo to the last round. A very nice win and best wishes for another amazing comeback to win this series.

Let's Go Red Sox!! :cool:

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ayuh, and I can safely bet that he's tuned in tonite.

Psycho, where are ya lad? You get yer cox trouble straightened out....couldn't resist.

Lester looks really good tonite.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ayuh, and I can safely bet that he's tuned in tonite.

Psycho, where are ya lad? You get yer cox trouble straightened out....couldn't resist.

Lester looks really good tonite.
Finally got it straighted out. :crosseye:

It worked. I figured if I put it in writing it wouldn't happen. Both teams I disliked failed to live up to my "predictions."

The WS was kind of a bomb overall cuz the Rays just stank it up but overall it was more enjoyable cuz it was somebody new. Plus I got to enjoy it instead of rooting against somebody. :thumup: