sowchos 79

macca

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I want to get hold of the old SL scenario (#16?) Sowchos 79. Has it been converted to ASL and is it available online?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not yet

macca said:
I want to get hold of the old SL scenario (#16?) Sowchos 79. Has it been converted to ASL and is it available online?
No, but it would be great to see it converted.....

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jack said:
That was an old Squal Leader scenario, what type of OB did it have? Can you refresh my memory?
Let's see, probrably easier to upload an image, but its set in souther Russia Dec 8 42. A relief effort on the way to Stalingrad.
includes boards 4,3,2,5
ten turns long, Russians setup first Germans move first

Victory conditions: Germans win by occupying any 12 of the buildings between L and V on board 3 provide they have eliminated twice as many enemy units as they've lost of their own.

-Germans get a company of 9x1st line squads , radio (100mm art), Panzerjagd, and a Pak75 on board 5
-Elements of 15th Panzer enter west edge with about 6 tanks an AC and a halfttrack gun unit
-Turn 2 gets reinforcements consisting of a platoon 5x lst line and another Pak on trucks of the west edge

-The Russians get 21 x regular setup on southeaster board 4
-8 more squad and Pak on trucks setup along the road on northeaster board 3
-Turn 4 6 x T-34 southeast board 3
-Turn 5 3 x KV1 and 3 xT28s southeast board 3
-Turn 8 4 x T-34 and 1 KV1 southeast board 3

Although snow rules are not in effect, the min cost to enter via road hex is 1 MP for all units

Played this one over 20 years ago, it was a real tough sucker for the Germans. Naturally I played the Russians and had a ball :cheeky:

macca

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I believe it was the 11th Panzer versus a Soviet breakthrough following the Stalingrad encirclement. The German kampfgruppe gets to shoot up a column of Soviet truck-borne infantry and then takes some hills on board 3?, with the final showdown a shoot-out with Soviet armour. I just recall it was a great combined arms scenario all-round!

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another classic is Breakout from Borisov, or something like that do you guys remember it? It was an unusual scenario even in the old days in which the sixth board was all swamp and did not actually exist. Do you know what I mean?

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I know there is (or used to be) a pdf on the web somewhere. Googled for it and came up with some interesting links:

Hunter Johnson has a list of online scenarios
http://www.hunterandlori.com/ASLOnlineScenarios.html

The ASL WebDex comes up with a bunch of scenarios as well
http://underworld.fortunecity.com/postal/598/aslwebdex/awin-scenarios.html

Some info from the ASLML
http://pegasus.lunarpages.com/pipermail/aslml_asl-forums.net/2004-February/003680.html
http://pegasus.lunarpages.com/pipermail/aslml_asl-forums.net/2004-February/003687.html
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.games.advanced-squad-leader/29560
(seems like Sam Belcher is planning to post some of the old scenarios)

There's an article in VFTT 41 ("Where are they now ... ?" by Mark S Walz)
http://www.vftt.co.uk/vftt41.pdf
http://www.google.se/search?q=cache:H-CLqgbtAiIJ:www.vftt.co.uk/vftt41.pdf+sowchos+79+pdf&hl=sv
(included links to the pdf as well as to Google's html-conversion (might make it easier to find the text)

- H

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I had often wondered if this one had been changed over. It had long been a favourite of mine but wondered about the changes necessary to the AFV OoB. The T-34s and KVs of this periodare a lot tougher in ASL than in COI. I think the Russian armour would need to be scaled back or the German armour increased.

Would be interesting to play test.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm wondering the same thing - I loved this scenario when it was in COI, and would like to play it again.

Was the scenario card simply transferred into ASL counter art? Without playtesting?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'm not sure. The scenario card shows 3 Mk IVs and a Mk III trying to take on 10 Russian tanks, mainly T-34 and KVs. Also, there appears to be about 29 Russian squads to 14 German. At first glance it looks like a Russian who knows what he is doing may eat the Germans lunch and pick his teeth with the scrap metal. The differences between COI and ASL are quite marked, especially with the armour involved in this one.

Still,...pre-Tiger/Panther WWII is still the best for good 'dust-ups' with combined arms scenarios.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like the number of options in this one; three battles can develop depending how it's played...

One on the far side of Board 3, where the marder might try for position on the hills..

One on the entrance to town from board 2,5 and 4.

And usually some interesting action where the Germans intercept the reinforcing convoy.

Woohoo! That takes me back!

The first time I played this in COI, I esb'ed my first entering Pz, and it ended up immobilizing on the key road entry hex. duh. I lost the game right there, with not enough MPs to intercept the convoy successfully.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'll be taking this one home for Christmas with me. A buddy and I will play test it a couple of times and see how it works in its present ASL form.

I am looking forward to it. Anybody have a copy (.pdf?) of the remake of breakout from Borisov?

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Purist said:
Anybody have a copy (.pdf?) of the remake of breakout from Borisov?
According to that article in VFTT I mentioned, it has been submitted to MMP for playtetst. Not sure if they need volunteers to playtetst it? Anyway, it would suggest that there is no conversion to ASL available at the moment.

- H

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Purist said:
I'm not sure. The scenario card shows 3 Mk IVs and a Mk III trying to take on 10 Russian tanks, mainly T-34 and KVs. Also, there appears to be about 29 Russian squads to 14 German. At first glance it looks like a Russian who knows what he is doing may eat the Germans lunch and pick his teeth with the scrap metal. The differences between COI and ASL are quite marked, especially with the armour involved in this one.

Still,...pre-Tiger/Panther WWII is still the best for good 'dust-ups' with combined arms scenarios.
It's been a while seen I've looked at COI. Did the armour system at the time made the Soviet armour more a push over than it is now? I know that with ASL, the armour ratings were roughly 10% of the reallife thickness. Though I'm not sure how they came up with the kill numbers, perhaps its based loosely on the Aberdeen proving grounds stats. With COI, the armour ratings were a bit more abstract a carry over from SL in which the ratings started from -5 to has high as +5?. But, I am loosely recalling this from vague memory