sowchos 79

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Yes,...in the COI version the Mk IIIs could (just barely) kill off anything the Russians had. In ASL, the MK III will strugle to kill more than the trucks, I suppose thats why there is only 1 Pz III. Still,...3 Mk IVS versus 7 late model T-34s and KV-1s,...best hopoe those two AT guns make some kills.

I also have some concerns with the infantry numbers but less so. I remember 'taking the fight to the enemy' as the Russians in this one. Engaging the Germans in the forest before the resrves arrive can help a Russian win by bleeding the Narzees white so they cannot take enough VC buildings.

Mehl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sowchos

I'm currently playtesting this stuff for Jim Stahler and Sowchos 79 doesn't look too hot for the Russians in my opinion.

The German tanks have about the same chance of killing the Russian tanks as being killed (75L vs. 76 no L) but will get on average about three hits before the Russians get one (10-2, 9-2 AL, CE vs. red #, no CE, little or no ROF). And that's not including APCR. The Sov tanks come in piecemeal after the Germans move up on the hills (and maybe even go hull down). The Russians are easy meat.

The Russians have hardly any leaders, almost no SWs, a restricted set-up area and if they don't hide at start, an artillery SR will come down on them in the first prep fire phase.

The Germans have great leaders, lots of SWs and halftracks running all over the place.

This one looks like a dog to me.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Is there a different scenario out there than the one posted by Mr Pitman.

I see 8 Russian 76L with TK #s of 13 facing German armour from 6 to 8. The German tanks mount 3 75L with TK #s of 17 and a 50L with a TK of 13. The Russian armour is 11 to 14.

I do not see how the Germans can bring down artillery until the DFP of turn one at the earliest and then the Russian can close with the Germans before the shells come in (if they so choose). There is no "?" so the observer will have to be in open view of Russian infantry as well if he is to try to bring in the artillery at the earliest possible moment. So, I think the observer will have to sneak about or risked being hit in the Russian T1 DFP.

The German armour is under some time pressure as it will take time (at least one turn) to move into position to kill the convoy (no road bonus due to ground snow) and it would probably be turn 3 before they can close on the town.

The tank battle will see the Germans having TK of 5 or less (not counting APCR)while the Russians will be hitting back with 5 through 7s. All the while those little ATRs could be plinking away at the Germans tracks trying for DIs.

Anyway,...that what playtesting is all about.

Paw of the Tiger, Hube's Pocket, Sowchos 79, Breakout from Borisov,....all great fun from the old days. Ain't nostalgia grand.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Converted

Hey Gents,
John Hyler in Fort Worth Texas has submitted Breakout and Sowchos 79 to MMP for publication. He has invested a lot of playtest time on these monsters. They are a blast. Hopefully we will see them in a future publication.
Jimfer

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Excellent news. I think I'll still take this version 'home for the holidays' and give it a couple of run throughs. First impressions can be deceiving and this should prove interesting.