Soviet/Russian military movies

Leatherneck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anvas and Andrey

Have you guys see the movie call "K-19: Widowmaker"? Just wonder if you have seen it.

Army

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by Army
Anvas and Andrey

Have you guys see the movie call "K-19: Widowmaker"? Just wonder if you have seen it.

Army
I saw it.

It is relatively good movie, it is first Hollywood movie where officers and sailors are like real Soviet sailors, their faces and uniform are very like with real Soviet (Russian) ones, sometimes I forgot that it was US movie with US actors.

Unfortunally, movie had some very bad Western stamps about Soviets. I read interview with real Russian military submariner who was adviser of movie director.

In some questions he spoke that things are made wrong but director answered: We make movie for money, western spectator will not understand it, we have to do movie which will give us money.

For example, it was about disorder during "Alarm". Soviet submariner said that he learned actors to make their duties during "Alarm" and they made necessary operations in complete order. And Russian submariner said for movie director that he learned completely untrained actors to make duties during "Alarm" without any disorder and why does director suppose that sailors of Soviet regular nuclear submarines couldn't study it also. Director answered that it was made for entertainment of US spectators...

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Andrey

In some questions he spoke that things are made wrong but director answered: We make movie for money, western spectator will not understand it, we have to do movie which will give us money.

For example, it was about disorder during "Alarm". Soviet submariner said that he learned actors to make their duties during "Alarm" and they made necessary operations in complete order. And Russian submariner said for movie director that he learned completely untrained actors to make duties during "Alarm" without any disorder and why does director suppose that sailors of Soviet regular nuclear submarines couldn't study it also. Director answered that it was made for entertainment of US spectators...
ACK! I hate that.. I want to see things AS THEY HAPPENED not some thing thrown in for dramatic effect. K-19 is a true story so lets see the truth...:horse:

Leatherneck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Andrey
I saw it.

It is relatively good movie, it is first Hollywood movie where officers and sailors are like real Soviet sailors, their faces and uniform are very like with real Soviet (Russian) ones, sometimes I forgot that it was US movie with US actors.

Unfortunally, movie had some very bad Western stamps about Soviets. I read interview with real Russian military submariner who was adviser of movie director.

Actually, Harrison Ford was pretty good on that movie i mean i just saw the making K-19 Widowmaker not long ago and he was discussing about the crews of K-19 were heroes i mean they did the risk to try save the sub, but most of them died from radiation sickness(Is that correct?).

Army

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
ACK! I hate that.. I want to see things AS THEY HAPPENED not some thing thrown in for dramatic effect. K-19 is a true story so lets see the truth...:horse:
Yes, real story of K-19 is story of feat. But I doubt that real story of K-19 was showm corretly in movie.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Actually, Harrison Ford was pretty good on that movie i mean i just saw the making K-19 Widowmaker not long ago and he was discussing about the crews of K-19 were heroes i mean they did the risk to try save the sub, but most of them died from radiation sickness(Is that correct?).

Army
No, as I know only some part of them died from radiation.

About correctness of movie. When real members of K-19 crew in Russia saw first version of movie they were outraged. As I know they do not like and last version. They spoke that it was parody on Soviet Navy...

As for me I saw very many strange episodes for believing in correctness of movie.

Firstly, Soviet officers were not idiots but some their actions in movie are strange. (I am Russian leuitenant and I am speakimg for you that Russian officers are not idiots).

For example, captain sent repair party in zone with high radiation and saw that these guys got too large dose of radiation, what will normal officer order to next repair party? Yes, normal officer will reduce time of staying in zone of radiation for saving of their lifes. But in movie captain sent sailors for the same time like first party (it means to send them on death) and I doubt that in reality Soviet captain could do it.

Also there are very many other strange orders and decisios in movie...

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Here is other GREAT link on US E-shop with Russian-Soviet movies

http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cfm?TYPE=%C2%EE%E5%ED%ED%FB%E5

You will find here very many movies from my list.

Unfortunally not all these movies are translated in English.

Here is link on other excellent classic movie about Soviet spy in Germany

http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cfm?TITLEIDCLICKED=582&TYPE=%C2%EE%E5%ED%ED%FB%E5

"Shchit i mech"
("Shield and sword")

Shield and sword were in sign of KGB, it means that KGB protected interests of country.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Anvas and Andrey

Army
If you are interesting about Russian submariners...

Here is link on "72 meters", it is modern Russian movie about submariners, it is "Russian answer on K-19" according advertisement.

http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cfm?TITLEIDCLICKED=1594&TYPE=%CE%F1%F2%F0%EE%F1%FE%E6%E5%F2%ED%FB%E9

I saw it and it is great movie.

Attention: I gave you link on Russian language version but I know that this movie was shown in Hollywood to US cinema stars some months ago.

amvas

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Anvas and Andrey

Army
Nope, I wasn't. I'm trying to avoid American movies about Russians. Usually they have nothing in common with real Russians. I see only stamps and myths.. :crazy:

Speaking about K-19 I agree with Andrey in general...

amvas

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yesterday I saw one interesting Russain movie "Allegro s Ognem" (Allegro with Fire). I know it to be based on REAL events - fight of Soviet miners agains German aerial mines in June-July 1941 in Sevastopol. By that ones Germans tried to lock the Black Sea Fleet into ist base, but failed. Germans thought that mines to be unneutralizable. They designed lots of different traps and self-liquidators, but nothing helped. Secrets of that mines were revealed and Soviet Navy didn't got significant affect of German mines on Naval operations. Heh, much more affect was of Soviet mine-fields against Soviet ships...

In that movie the main subject is correctly shown. Incorrect is only two things i) loss of mine-sweeper with all its crew from mine explosion. In reality it successfully did its work.... ii) When commander ordered "Put away gang-plank". In reality, noone sailor will call ship's ladder a "gang-plank".....

joea

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andrey, what I meant was is there a Soviet series similar to "Band of Brothers" which follows a group of soldiers through training and into combat. I liked Band of Brothers because it is based on history, has good characters, great special effects and comabt is shown realstically and with the horror and brutality of war and the heroism and friendship as well.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by joea
Andrey, what I meant was is there a Soviet series similar to "Band of Brothers" which follows a group of soldiers through training and into combat. I liked Band of Brothers because it is based on history, has good characters, great special effects and comabt is shown realstically and with the horror and brutality of war and the heroism and friendship as well.
THAT would be interesting be it fiction of non-fiction.

amvas

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
THAT would be interesting be it fiction of non-fiction.
he-he..I rememered a joke that Historians are only fantast writers exploiting the past :D

If this is true, every producer is also a deep fantast :spill:

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I had no idea the Russian movie industry was so prolific. Thanks fro all of the info.
Soviet movie industry was very powerful, USSR had tens of film studios.

And I suppose that 30% of all Soviet movies were about WWII events, I suppose that USSR made thousands of movies about WWII. I wrote you only about best of best but there are other excellent movies.

Some movies from my list were and are shown every year on Soviet/Russian TV during Day of Soviet Army (February, 23th) and Victory Day (May, 9th) holidays.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by joea
I know only one movie which describes exactly actions of concrete unit. It is "Normandy-Neman", movie about French "Free France" fighter squdron (later - regiment) which fought in USSR under Soviet command on Soviet fighter-planes (see my list).

But in many movies there are the same heroes (fictional, but based on real facts). For example in epic movie "Liberation" about events from Kursk to Berlin there are some constant heroes - tank crew of T-34 of 1st Guard Tank Army, single artillery battery, group of infantry officers, some soldiers of 1st Polish Army which fought together with Soviet troops.

Also in USSR Polist many-parts movie "4 tankmen and dog" was very popular. It was about one tank crew of T-34 of Polish troops which fought together with Soviet. But it was fictional story.

Uberdave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any movies about the Khalkin-Gol conflict in manchuria 1939?

I remember seeing a Japanese-made movie protraying a group of defeated Jap soldiers which were cut off and lost. They wandered through the wastelands and steppes before being caputured by the Soviets. There was a trilogy, but I forgot the name of it.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by Uberdave
Are there any movies about the Khalkin-Gol conflict in manchuria 1939?

I remember seeing a Japanese-made movie protraying a group of defeated Jap soldiers which were cut off and lost. They wandered through the wastelands and steppes before being caputured by the Soviets. There was a trilogy, but I forgot the name of it.
Firstly, Khalkhin-Gol conflict was in Mongolia where Japaneses invaded.

I do not remember such movie, may be in old "Daleko ot Moskvy" ("Far from Moscow") there are some episodes.

There are some movies about Soviet advance in Manchuria in 1945.

Uberdave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Firstly, Khalkhin-Gol conflict was in Mongolia where Japaneses invaded."

According to the Soviet point of view. Japanese contention was that area of question belonged to puppet-state of Manchuoko, or 'manchuria' as known in the west.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Originally posted by Uberdave
"Firstly, Khalkhin-Gol conflict was in Mongolia where Japaneses invaded."

According to the Soviet point of view. Japanese contention was that area of question belonged to puppet-state of Manchuoko, or 'manchuria' as known in the west.
Do you believe for Japaneses in this question? It was only casus belli. Khalkin-Gol conflict occured on territory which was Mongolian according internationally acepted borders. And in all maps it was territory of Mongolia. For example, if Japaneses will say that Vladivostok is old Japanese land and will attack it you will say that conflict was in Russia not in Japan because Vladivostok is internationally accepted territory of Russia.