"South" Of The Board 7 River

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Assume the hex coordinates indicate the north side of each hex. Scenario setup instructions say, "set up south of the river". Must any units on this end of Board 7 set up 'back behind the peninsula', or may they set up on it? [I ask because I recall playing some scenario in the last couple of years wherein the setup instruction purposefully included wording allowing units on 'this' side of the river to set up on the peninsula.] So, do you think peninsula setup is not allowed unless setup instructions/SSR allow otherwise; or that it is allowed unless setup instructions/SSR say otherwise?

Thanks!

IMG_20180217_162127147 #2.jpg

buser333

Reaction score
I would assume that setting up on the peninsula per the instructions you cited would not be allowed.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, do you think peninsula setup is not allowed unless setup instructions/SSR allow otherwise; or that it is allowed unless setup instructions/SSR say otherwise?
I would say allowed. the land is on the south side of the river.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you follow the riverside, it goes around the peninsula.
So the latter belongs to the south side.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assume the hex coordinates indicate the north side of each hex. Scenario setup instructions say, "set up south of the river". Must any units on this end of Board 7 set up 'back behind the peninsula', or may they set up on it? [I ask because I recall playing some scenario in the last couple of years wherein the setup instruction purposefully included wording allowing units on 'this' side of the river to set up on the peninsula.] So, do you think peninsula setup is not allowed unless setup instructions/SSR allow otherwise; or that it is allowed unless setup instructions/SSR say otherwise?

Thanks!

View attachment 4137
Consider the opposite setup instructions, defender is to set up north of the river. And then have the attacker enter from the north board edge. Would you expect that the defender could put all of its units on the peninsula and, i.e., if there is no bridge cut out the CC phase of the game entirely?

IMO, maps have directionality, not individual hexes. If you can get to a hex from the south, without crossing the river, it is south of the river.