South Mountain

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've just lost Fox's Gap (4:00 PM) with Garland and Anderson (particularly) beat up. My reinforcement rolls blew-two 6's-so instead of having some help at Fox's, they're entering to a captured Gap.

On the other flank, the US 1 Corps is massing for an assault up the mountain into both Rodes and Ripley, who stare down slope awed, at the masses of men and cannon arrayed for the assault.

Jones is set to enter and looks to find himself in the thick of things soon...bloody things...

Keith Todd

Reaction score
I've just lost Fox's Gap (4:00 PM) with Garland and Anderson (particularly) beat up. My reinforcement rolls blew-two 6's-so instead of having some help at Fox's, they're entering to a captured Gap.
Uh Oh, that is going to be rough. Where's the cav when you need them?:laugh:

Keith

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The situation continues to deteriorate; 9 Corps has restarted their offensive moves away from Fox's Gap towards Turners Gap. My best ally being the beastly terrain and the timely arrival of Hood's Division. Jones' small detachment headed towards Fox's Gap has been shunted aside rudely, though his other three brigades have apparently stopped 1 Corps at the base of the mountain leading from Frosttown Road. Losses are severe, and seemingly tilted, unfortunately, towards the Confederate ledger. My boys in butternut have hit more of the local flora than of the Foul Interloper, seemingly getting the worst of all engagements. After the time granted by Garland's near total sacrifice, I expected more.

Karma's a cruel b!tch.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I finally am getting to it but as a playtest using the proposed LoB rules. Fezzi, have you used these rules?

PM me if you have.

Keith
Nah, I've thought about it, but I've been too busy to be able to commit to any sort of playtest right now. I'm thinking of sinking some time into La Batt, though...:cool:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, after an unusually long time for us-between my taking a coaching gig at the middle school, losing power for 11 days just ahead of Christmas and both Mike and my kids running the school flu gauntlet several times, we finally finished up our game of SM...to a draw.

The only VP locations the valiant Confederates held were Turners Gap and the location due south of it (towards the CSA boardedge). I knew the game would hinge on the two VP locations on my extreme left going into the last two full turns, but I was unable to get any forces worthy of the name over there to halt Meade's Division. In all honesty, my best defense was the Corps Attack Stoppage rolls of Meade himself, who failed two, apparently, in sight of those crucial locations.

The only thing in his way was 150 men of Garland's skeletal 'brigade' and 50 troopers of the 5th Virginny Cav. Once Meade got restarted, Garland's decimated brigade failed its Defensive stoppage and started to trickle back towards the saddle overlooking the CSA retreat route. Anderson's (DH Hill's Anderson) also managed to move towards the saddle with his 250 men (5 steps) but also brought along 3 batteries of the Confederacy's best hodge podge of artillery: howitzers, light cannon and even some Parrotts, for that last ditch defensive gun line.

In the end, the game clock slowly ticked its last tock before they reached that final line of defense.

The US I Corps had finally forced Ripley, Rodes and Walker back from the great defensive terrain from whence they had held them at bay for several hours back towards Turners' Gap. Kemper, tied in on Colquitt's left in front of Turner's Gap, swung left, allowing Walker to flow past him to regroup while providing fresh, if few troops to staunch the blue flow. Ripley, wending his way through the wooded hilltop, was down to maybe 200 men and was grateful for the beastly terrain, which impeded the bluebellies more than he could hope to.

Evans provided a backstop to all, but was likely going to shift to the far leftern flank to spell Ripley; Colquitt had already fallen back up the gap to replace Evans in the line afront Turner's Gap.

Hood had to call off his attack towards Fox's Gap once he ran into the main line of 9 Corps west of Fox's Gap; the imposing line studded with plentiful yankee artillery, would strip this potent force of its hitting ability. Added to the mix, a detached 9 Corps division (1/9?) was on the right flank of any advance only monitored-all that Anderson (Jones') and Drayton's few hundreds could manage given an average strength of 50 men per regiment by this time-which it was feared would pivot and lurch into this division's flank.

Hill and Longstreet had managed to prevent a daylight breakthrough by the Blue Hordes, but had taken far too many casualties (in part due to the tardiness of reinforcement) to contest the later, crucial landmarks on the field. Victory-for, given the 8 point VP swing those two lonely intersections represented-was snatched from the Confederacy at 8 PM...

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically not South Mountain related except in the overarching campaign, take a look at this playtest of Dean's None But Heroes-the Sharpsburg regimental game now in playtest with the new Line of Battle rules.

THIS, I'm really excited to see!

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Technically not South Mountain related except in the overarching campaign, take a look at this playtest of Dean's None But Heroes-the Sharpsburg regimental game now in playtest with the new Line of Battle rules.

THIS, I'm really excited to see!
It is a great system to play indeed. I am hoping to play Hallowed Ground with it in April.

None But Heroes will knock your socks off.

Keith

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My first experience with an ACW game is a None But Heroes playtest I'm doing right now. We've only done a few turns, but I'm absolutely in love with this system already.

Just curious, what do you guys think of the Civil War Brigade Series? How does it compare with RSS? Do you prefer one over the other?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first experience with an ACW game is a None But Heroes playtest I'm doing right now. We've only done a few turns, but I'm absolutely in love with this system already.

Just curious, what do you guys think of the Civil War Brigade Series? How does it compare with RSS? Do you prefer one over the other?

I think both systems are great; RSS is deriviative of CWB, going into a bit more weaponry/command detail due to the increased magnification of the scale, so basically, it's the same general system.

It'd be hard for me to pick one over the other, though I do like the drop in scale of RSS; CWB, though, has more games in the line and does play faster than the RSS due in large part to being 3 to 4 times less dense, piece wise (again, a function of scale).

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either.

LoB, from the whispers and nudges I hear, sounds like it's borrowing at least some concepts from NBS 3.0 and La Batt, which isn't a bad thing. The only thing that gives me pause, in my crotchedy old New Englander "change is bad" self is the loss of stragglers from combat resolution...it just seemed to add something to the games that few other systems dared to touch..and it's always been a personal favorite of mine <shrug> Guess I'll have to deal...:shy:

Keith Todd

Reaction score

I am very happy with both, I could not choose one over the other.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
I think both systems are great; RSS is deriviative of CWB, going into a bit more weaponry/command detail due to the increased magnification of the scale, so basically, it's the same general system.
I very much agree
It'd be hard for me to pick one over the other, though I do like the drop in scale of RSS; CWB, though, has more games in the line and does play faster than the RSS due in large part to being 3 to 4 times less dense, piece wise (again, a function of scale).

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either.
Ditto

LoB, from the whispers and nudges I hear, sounds like it's borrowing at least some concepts from NBS 3.0 and La Batt, which isn't a bad thing. The only thing that gives me pause, in my crotchedy old New Englander "change is bad" self is the loss of stragglers from combat resolution...it just seemed to add something to the games that few other systems dared to touch..and it's always been a personal favorite of mine <shrug> Guess I'll have to deal...:shy:
But all LoB games will be compatible with CWR3.0 so you and I do not have to lose our stragglers.:smoke:

Keith

daviddwillson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's gonna require some fancy footwork, that's fo' sho'! :horse:
The situation continues to deteriorate; 9 Corps has restarted their offensive moves away from Fox's Gap towards Turners Gap. My best ally being the beastly terrain and the timely arrival of Hood's Division. Jones' small detachment headed towards Fox's Gap has been shunted aside rudely, though his other three brigades have apparently stopped 1 Corps at the base of the mountain leading from Frosttown Road. Losses are severe, and seemingly tilted, unfortunately, towards the Confederate ledger. My boys in butternut have hit more of the local flora than of the Foul Interloper, seemingly getting the worst of all engagements. After the time granted by Garland's near total sacrifice, I expected more.