Sound Problems

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've recently had to reinstall EFII, WF and RS following my hard drive problems. The installations went fine, when loading the games the sound works fine on the smackplay and scenario selection screens, the problem that I have is that when I launch a scenario I get the message "failure to create direct sound object" and no sound will play in the scenario, I have this problem with all three titles. I reinstalled the drivers for my sound card but that didn't work. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure about that one, but since it specifically mentions direct X maybe try going to your start menu and the run prompt and typing "dxdiag" without the quotes. It will bring up a screen with your system specs and tabs along the top. At the bottom of the specs is the version of direct x that you're running. Current is 9.0c. If it's below that go to windows update.

Each tab at the top has specifics and some, like sound, has a test button.

I'm assuming you reinstalled older versions. They had patches which might still be available at the Blitz. Not sure what they "patch", but Jason Petho would probably know.

I'll search for specifics and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Wolf,

Found it. Amazing that you can still find references to the old Talonsoft versions. Anyway it was an old bug that was fixed with subsequent patches:

http://grognard.com/reviews/eastfro3.txt

Hopefully you can still find the patches at the Blitz or maybe someone here has them saved. If not, then time to upgrade to the Matrix version. I have it and it works fine. Jason Petho and the Matrix development team continue to work on it, which is great.

Dave

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Patches

Yes, the original patches for the series are still available at the Blitz.

Depending on the versions will dictate which patches you install.

Need a hand, give me a shout.

Jason Petho