Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
EVE News said:
SONY and CCP are in talks of having SONY become a major partner, or even a controlling partner, in CCP, via stock acquisition. There is mounting evidence of various operations of the companies becoming closer in nature, function and style. With the recnt closure (24/6) of Star Wars Galaxies, the failed SOE SCI-FI flagship MMO, it may be the case that SOE is looking to acquire a stake in a leading Sci-Fi MMO.

Sony Online Entertainment to Acquire CCP Games?
I hope this isn't true but it wouldn't surprise me at this point. In fact, considering the direction CCP has been moving EVE over the last 24 months it would make perfect sense.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ohhhh. Yeah when Turbine (LOTRO developer) went all crazy turning against their own players that was when the deal to get bought by Warner Bros was in the cards. Makes perfect sense.

It also puts something else in new light. I was about to speculate about how that internal CCP memo was leaked and what people motives might have been if it was an employee. But then another leak happened, an email, which makes it very likely it is an employee following an agenda.

Apparently somebody there doesn't think that wrecking the game for a short-term advantage in an attempt to be bought is the way to go. Who could have known?

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It also put something else in new light. I was about to speculate about how that internal CCP memory was leaked and what people motives might have been if it was an employee. But then another leak happened, an email, which makes it very likely it is an employee following an agenda.

Apparently somebody there doesn't think that wrecking the game for a short-term advantage in an attempt to be bought is the way to go. Who could have known?
Here is a link to the leaked email story.

Hilmar may be right (assuming he actually wrote that email), and all of this may blow over and be forgotten in a few years. But it's also possible CCP has gravely miscalculated here and will pay a steep price for it. EVE Online's central theme is that every aspect of the game is competitive and that struggle and loss have lasting consequences. EVE's core gameplay is the antithesis of the more casual play found in other MMOs and the fan base couldn't be more different. In attempting to morph EVE into a f2p game where power is for sale for real world money, CCP may have done irreversible damage to their own image and there's no guarantee any of these changes will attract hordes of new gamers to replace those who have quit.

I predict rough times ahead for CCP.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not having made an investment in Eve I am going to be egoistic and hope for maximum damage.

The way things have been going it will be impossible for me to play a commercial MMORPG ever again unless the trend is reversed. My investment is not only not protected, as a long-term monthly pay player I am considered a sucker who isn't worth one bit of effort to keep in a quest to go after those with mommy's credit card on file.

People will be watching what happens in Eve and hopefully the efforts to redirect the press' perception of what the issues are isn't successful.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, this makes perfect sense to me, too. CCP is trying to boost the bottom line so as to make themselves more attractive to Sony. I've seen this before with a bank I once worked for - all of a sudden they went bat&#&$ and started implementing crazy ideas that catered to new customers at the expense of old regulars. It was only later we realized that they were preening for a take-over - which they got (resulting in layoffs that we were assured would never happen).

So I completely believe this story.

Again, just go F2P and get it over with. Stop with the smoke and mirrors.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The sad part is that no game seems to be willing to try out an actual vanity store business and see how much cash that brings. It might still make some people upset if the items are expensive but it won't invalidate people's investments. Not selling combat advantages makes you sell less items but if less subscriptions get canceled and if long-term player retention is higher that might pay off.

It's what LOTRO originally promised but they never intended to actually do it. Too bad since the original idea wasn't too badly received.

I mean this guy is so happy to sell 42 meager monocles. Too bad they aren't willing to try that business model at least for a year or so.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But, how many new "casual" players are going to jump into the EVE environment to replace the hardcore masses leaving?

I mean, how many of those players will like getting their heavily invested ship ($$ or time) blown to bits & then having to buy another one, over & over?

I don't think thousands of players have been sitting quietly on the sidelines waiting for EVE to go "buy your ship" style. EVE is to different than most MMO's to suddenlt draw in & hold the casual player.