Something that's being worked on.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Grossdeutschland weren't SS though right ?

Be interested in how they 'got along' with the SS guys if they effectively fought close by each other.
GD worked along side DR & TK during the August in 43, worked well from all AAR, but GD had a bad run during Zittadelle and under performed compared to their normal standard, the Pz Regt was very poor especially, losing almost 70% of the Panzer held on strength at the start of the offensive by the afternoon of the 7th July! Von Strachwitz was not on his best during the Operation and it shows in the way the Panzers were handled.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By the way Perry. Check on Grognard Simulations, in regards to Chris's Death Ride Kursk Series. Saved some money and bought all 6 modules plus one of the enhancement packs.
You should see the detail, maps are a little basic, but this is based on actual military wargamming. Each module relates to one of the German Divisions.......talk about interesting.

Shane

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By the way Perry. Check on Grognard Simulations, in regards to Chris's Death Ride Kursk Series. Saved some money and bought all 6 modules plus one of the enhancement packs.
You should see the detail, maps are a little basic, but this is based on actual military wargamming. Each module relates to one of the German Divisions.......talk about interesting.

Shane
Holy cow, you can really spend some coin on that stuff.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Shane
Hi Shane,

Long Time no chat. I have looked at this series before and if I had the spare cash I would love to acquire them, I have heard about the detail, is it units on the platoon scale? That would be some thing to see. Alas getting them over here in the UK is like searching for Unicorn poo, damn near impossible. Maybe one day I will come across maybe the basic 3 that covers the II SS Pz Korps advance and for a good price. Am I correct in saying that the series covers both II SS Pz Korps and XLVIII Pz Korps advance with modules to cover supply in detail etc? They so seem very detailed indeed.

All the best mate.

Perry

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Perry

Been working on certification exams, so been off these means for a while.The Death Ride Kursk series is company and platoon level. but will work right up to divisional , corp and army level. The first three are Gross Deutschland, 3rd Panzer, 11th Panzer, with an enhancement package. The next three are all IISS divisions Totenkopf, Leibstandart, and Das Reich with an enhancement package. The game is excellant because you can increase the complexity level to as high as you want it, right to the point of individual Maintenance companies, Signal Companies, Supply companies and Medical Companies. All play an important part in the game. Chris Fasulo is the designer, his job is wargammer for the US military.This game is almost the same idea for the systems he uses for training officers. The game system allows you to design the individual battlaion OOB, as well as regimental, and Brigade level. HQ units control their respective sub-units, and command and control as well as supply is the key to success.
The orders of battle are massive, but easily used and the counters are easy to read and work with. I have wanted a game system that accurately portrays the fighting in the south. And yes for those that want massive armor battles this is going to give even the most dedicated tread head
a run for their money. The battle for Prohkorovka OOB is impressive.I recommend it for those who want to spend the money and time. I spent the
cash on a system that will allow for constant replays , flexible OOB to try different tactics. I call it the ASL of operational level gaming.It is even better than OCS games for flexibility.Yes it may have cost some coin but from what I see it is a damn good investment for an old guy like me :)

Shane

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Perry

Contact Chris at Grognard Simulations..........he ships out the games.

Shane

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Perry

Contact Chris at Grognard Simulations..........he ships out the games.

Shane
Will see if the Long Haired General will allow me to free up some funds over the next 6 months or so and have an e-mail chat with Chris and see what he can come up with, I have a few years yet before I semi retire (7 years to my 55th B/day, then I finally finish with the Army and semi retire). so I think I will indulge myself as long as the Long haired Von manstein does not mind me stashing bits of cash here and there for it over the next slack hand full of months, However, I have just got back into GDW Assault series after a LOOOONG time away from it and am also saving to get hold of Bundeswehr & Chieftain, I have secured Assault & Boots & Saddles, and am looking for a copy of Reinforcements at a sensible price (I think it will prove to be rarer than Unicorn shit but we will see). As to the detail of the Death Ride series, I welcome it, I am looking forward to a good in depth Kursk sim as it were.

all the best Shane

Perry

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Grossdeutschland weren't SS though right ?

Be interested in how they 'got along' with the SS guys if they effectively fought close by each other.
Waffen-SS units were considered 'good comrades' by Heer units, especially those of high quality like GD. Both the low-numbered Waffen-SS divisions and the GD were the premier formations, meaning they got priority on recruits (and meant that they could establish a height requirement and other physical standards such as no eyeglasses that other units could not). They also got the newest weapons, speaking in general, mostly because they also did the field trials.

This is why GD had the new Panther tanks under command at Kursk.

I'd wager there was more infighting inside the GD division itself, than between GD and the SS. There was a lot of friction in GD, for instance the Panzerfüsilierregiment and the Panzergrenadierregiment did not apparently like each other much, and competed for resources - stemming back to the days the division was expanded from a single regiment.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At cursory glance, I like the use of slopes on that map. Not too many of them, like KGP, but enough to break up the plateau effect and provide some tactical interest in those wide hill expanses.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks nice, Perry, be sure to say "(C) 2017 Perry __________. All Rights Reserved."

(Not legally required, but good form to indicate that you are not granting any rights whatsoever with respect to copyrights.)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Use the ©. I have heard that Copyright office will not recognize (C) as indicating copyright status. but that was a few years ago.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Use the ©. I have heard that Copyright office will not recognize (C) as indicating copyright status. but that was a few years ago.
You don't have to assert copyright in order for it to exist.

The Copyright Act does not require the completion of formalities (such as publication, registration or the payment of fees) in order to obtain protection...in any country which is also a party to an international copyright treaty. This is unlike the position with patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder's rights where registration is a precondition to protection. Copyright protection is granted automatically from the time an original work is created.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
You don't have to assert copyright in order for it to exist.

The Copyright Act does not require the completion of formalities (such as publication, registration or the payment of fees) in order to obtain protection...in any country which is also a party to an international copyright treaty. This is unlike the position with patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder's rights where registration is a precondition to protection. Copyright protection is granted automatically from the time an original work is created.
I was talking about using (C) as a substitute for © and the fact that Copyright office does not equate (C) with ©. Like I said it was several years ago, maybe before the latest additions to the code.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was talking about using (C) as a substitute for © and the fact that Copyright office does not equate (C) with ©. Like I said it was several years ago, maybe before the latest additions to the code.
The current law does not require any kind of notification. If you put © or (c) or spell "Copyright" out or leave it off altogether, it's all good. If you want to enforce your copyright legally I believe you have to register the publication with a suitable authority, but that registration does not require that the publication contain any sort of text (other than the text being registered of course).

JR