Someone wants West of Alamein badly

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
182.50 !

WOWSERS-

It seems a very expensive hobby for some. I hope he has plenty of opponents handy.... :oops:

FuraxVZ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to point out to the folks MMP what people would pay for these games.

Since I'm a newb, I get nervous thinking I'll never be able to play in North Africa or with any British troops. Hell, I consider myself lucky I got my hands on a new 2nd RuleBook AND 2nd Beyond Valor. At least I have Germans and Russians. :p

I don't know what it costs to produce WoA, but $180 should cover it. :lol:

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, that was me

I bid that silly amount for West of Alamein. Three of the last 4 on auction before that one went for $150 or more, the only one that was less had a buy it now of $55(!), but didn't last long at all.

It was the only major module (as in, module that was required for a bunch of other modules) I needed, and I just sick of looking everywhere and when they finally show up on auction, lose every one because they went so high.

Here is the "Completed auctions" search for West of Alamein (and includes an auction for just an issue of the 'General' that features it):

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query="west+of+alamein"&srchdesc=y&from=R10&ht=1&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=0&combine=y&st=2&SortProperty=MetaNewSort

Even though I no longer need them (as I finally bought them), I do think it'd be helpful to the hobby and for future ASL sales if they at least kept the core modules in print. Beyond Valor being required for everything and out of print ebay fodder is the worst offense, the rulebooks aren't too far gone or expensive yet.

West of Alamein is by far the most I had to pay for any ASL product; most of them I got at retail, except for the annuals and Streets of Fire.

.. And, no, I don't have plenty of opponents :cry: . (Yeah, I have VASL, but I prefer face to face). Well, there's always Solitaire ASL...

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah

..and it came with the British AFV cards too!! :wink:

Jeff Leslie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to point out to the folks MMP what people would pay for these games.
Everybody hears you.... Except MMP

I for one would buy WoA2 (what's it called again, For King And Country?) and I have WoA.

I just recently started getting back into ASL after a 2 year hiatus, figuring that at least AoO would be out now.... but nooooo

MMP: There are people out there itching to play this game, but they can't get the rules and they can't get some of the core modules, so they end up paying $180 for WoA on Ebay.

Maybe that's Curt selling his copy of WoA.....

FuraxVZ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well said Jeff.

How's this?

I probably would buy another copy of the rule book if it were readily available. This copy I might hard bind, write in, etc. Also I would love to buy some electronic version of the rule book as well. How cool would it be to load it up on a PC tablet to have at your side? Complete search ability with hyperlinks to cross-referenced rule? Oh man, it gets me too excited to talk about. . .

I realize it must be tough to make money at producing this game, but I think the price could be raised without too much loss of the audience. (I could be wrong about that; I'm continually surprised by people's opinions over on the ASLML.)

Anyway, I'd love to have WoA or WoA2 or whatever as well from MMP. Why should some guy with a box rotting in his basement make money at this when I would love to support MMP? Give me stuff to buy, MMP!

I don't mean this to be a rant or even a criticism; I'm just letting "the powers that be" know of one man's opinion and where he would put his money.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "how cool would it be" syndrome is a wonderful thing in the computer consulting business.

I could give you hundreds of examples of "cool stuff" we have built for cutomers that never gets used except for a small minority of people who go for "cool" things instead of useful things.

We could have told the cusomers they were wasting thier money - but then we would not have an income. Ethically, we always do ask them if they think this new "cool" thing will be worth the expense. But usually it is being pushed by someone in power who loves the "cool" things.

The point is - would there be a market for this E-rule book (And I bet the next thing you would ask for is for it to be available on your cell phone)

Geez, Sprint and the other phone companies are laughing thier way to the bank with all these idiots doing written messages, sending pictures, etc on thier cell phones.

ITS A PHONE (but thats not "cool")

FuraxVZ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred:

I'm sorry for whatever the phone companies have done to scar you. But I'm not sure I understand your rant.

At any rate,

The point is - would there be a market for this E-rule book
is a good question.

I didn't mean to anger you by saying "cool", so let me rephrase it. I think it would be of utmost utility to have an electronic version of the rules. ASL is an intricate game in which rules are referenced and cross-referenced in almost every paragraph. Hyperlinking these would save a lot of time for a person reading these rules. Also, complete search capabilities across the entire rulebook would be helpful in quickly finding which sections are relevant.

HTML is a pretty ubiquitous standard that could go a long way in providing these basic functions which I believe to be useful, not just cool. I apologize if I get excited about playing ASL; we all can't be passionless, levelheaded players.

Perhaps it is cost-prohibitive to produce an electronic version; I wouldn't know.

Of course, it's just my opinion. And more often than not, I find my opinions run against the grain of most ASL players.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would there be a market? I don't know. Is it useful to have a html RB? You bet.

I've spent offtime in the last year or so making my own, using my trusty scanner. I've still got some to go, but what I have (A-E & S all mostly formatted) works great. Now, that said, I've mainly used it for SASL using VASL, so everything is on the computer. I don't know how useful it would be on a laptop in a FtF situation as I haven't tried it yet.

Sure is cool though. :)

Pete

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "rant" was just to make the point that just because something feels "cool" does not make it a viable entity.