Someone needs to put Panzer Grenadier on VASSAL

bishopse5a

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so.

The game does play well with text e-mail messages and a free DR server, though. The alternating action segments makes this very manageable. I've been playing it this way for years with great success.

Always looking for reliable PBEM opponents though . . .

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
I'm open to correction, but I'm sure I've heard mention that the Airborne module was available on VASSAL but that it wasn't AP policy to allow VASSAL-ization of the series. Again, I'm open to correction and maybe someone with a better grasp of the situation could tell us.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP refuses to allow their games to be put on VASSAL or Cyberboard. There was a rumor floating around that many years ago they sold the electronic rights for their games thus feel they cannot allow it. I don't think that is the case. I think they feel they are giving their games away with VASSAL and such. They did experiment with the Airborne module but have gone no further.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have any players anywhere near me being in BFE so the ability to use VASSAL is critical for me. I would love to get into this series but that lack of opponents is what is holding me back.

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I don't think so.

The game does play well with text e-mail messages and a free DR server, though. The alternating action segments makes this very manageable. I've been playing it this way for years with great success.

Always looking for reliable PBEM opponents though . . .
So both people need the board and pieces? And the game needs to stay setup during the time you play?

How long do these games take?

Actually, explain to me how this works if you have time. I'd rather be using Vassal with a headset and mic, but I may have time coming up where I could do an email game.

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I see the ariborne module has been used recently on Vassal. But I can't find out where to download the module.

Same with me, this is a stellar game but I don't have any opponents around me that will play. Vassal would reserect this for me.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Avalanche's policy has kept me from buying into the system more. I play most of my games via VASSAL, and without that I won't buy the system. I have never seen a position statement, other than no. I know that there was an Airborne module floating around, but I think that AP decided that it was against their policy and squashed it. The one that you see on the server is people that got the mod when it was available. You might post a message in the room and see if they will send you the file.

bishopse5a

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So both people need the board and pieces? And the game needs to stay setup during the time you play?

How long do these games take?

Actually, explain to me how this works if you have time. I'd rather be using Vassal with a headset and mic, but I may have time coming up where I could do an email game.

Yes, Both players need the boards+pieces+room to setup and leave it up+ PATIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I played a 40 turn game of RTB that took a little over a year - that was with a slow opponent. I recently finished a 30 turn DESERT RATS scenario that took about 8 months averaging approximately one e-mail exchange per day. With a wife, three kids and a dog, playing FTF is not practical for me and I hate playing solitaire. This is nice because I get to it when I can get to it - at least once in a 24 hour period is what I shoot for.

It's simple really. With #'ed hexes, and the alternating Action Segments the game flows smoothly. I use a free internet DR server to regulate DR's that e-mails each player the results. OPP FIRE situations can be a little slow, but nothing is perfect. For example; here is a recent AS from EASTERN FRONT - Siege of Leningrad that I'm playing as the Germans;

Subordinate - Board 20

MAJ + 2x INF ASSAULT into the bridge hex of 0704

LT + INF join the above ASSAULT
Remaining INF DF @ 0604 = 5 FF = 4 Column (-1 DUG) = 2 COLUMN

ASSAULT = 16 FF = 13 COLUMN (+1 leader) = 18 COLUMN

DR's on the way . . .

THANKS

I currently have text PBEM games of ELSENBORN RIDGE and EASTERN FRONT going now. I can take on one more. If you are interested in giving another PG game a try, let me know.

meecrob111

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I would love to try a PBEM game, but now isn't the time. Maybe at a later date.

I need to find that Vassal mod.

I hear you Cherper.......I just can't play some games unless they are online.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me see if I can find it. I think I have it on a hard-drive somewhere.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
PBEM would be too painful. Has anyone ever tried using Teamspeak or Ventrilo? Use that and a dice server and you're all set. It's FTF live without being FTF. Game time takes a lil bit longer, but not much. I never tried PG like this but we've done a few of the naval games, it worked out just swell.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PBEM would be too painful. Has anyone ever tried using Teamspeak or Ventrilo? Use that and a dice server and you're all set. It's FTF live without being FTF. Game time takes a lil bit longer, but not much. I never tried PG like this but we've done a few of the naval games, it worked out just swell.
Try Skype. Alot of ASL players use that for VASL. It's almost like playing FtF.

Jim