Some very basic questions

Jack B. Quick

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After my very first ASL experience with ASLSK #1 I have to admit I'm very excited with the game, but I have some questions just to make sure I got the rules right.

First, about reinforcements (as is scenario S1), in what phase are the troops placed on the board, and do the units enter the play only when it's the player's turn to be attacker, or may they arrive when he is the defender? Please explain throughoutly.

Second, in the scenario cards, there are stated which player _moves_ first. This may be a quite stupid one, but we assumed that it only clarifies which player starts as an attacker?

Then, about Advance phase. So the attacker may just move any of his units one hex? This just sounds very peculiar. And the defender may not react to this in any way? Funny.

Next, about smoke. Is it really so difficult to place smoke? Some units only have smoke value of 1, making it very unlikely? (Now that I read the rules again, doest it mean that player has to make a dr only when placing smoke _adjacent_ hex? This would make much more sense!)

Now the most puzzling question. In the rules it is quite clearly stated that only the units with box around it's morale value (broken side that is) have the self-rally capability. Now this means only the leaders actually have the skill, atleast in ASLSK counters, right? Now, on page 4 there is example about rally. And there a broken 5-2-7 is attempting to self-rally, well it does certanly _not_ have this magic box around its morale level. This is quite annoying because I don't understand if there's something wrong with the example picture or have I just missed something. :?: If I'm wrong, please explain. Again.

And last one. There might be an answer to this in the rules, but is it possible to capture enemy SWs?

Oh and still one, does broken units make Pin Task Checks as normal, or are they marked with DM?

Thanks alot. I looking forward to my next ASL game, hopefully this time with less "erm. I don't really know, let see the rules. Oh, I can't seem to find any reference to this situation." You know, it's very annoying :(

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
First, about reinforcements (as is scenario S1), in what phase are the troops placed on the board, and do the units enter the play only when it's the player's turn to be attacker, or may they arrive when he is the defender? Please explain throughoutly.
When you are the attacker you set your reinforcements up offboard before you do anything else in the Rally Phase. Then in your MPh of that turn you may move them onboard.

Second, in the scenario cards, there are stated which player _moves_ first. This may be a quite stupid one, but we assumed that it only clarifies which player starts as an attacker?
If you move first then you are the first ATTACKER yes. It is your RPH, PFPh, AFPH and APH etc first.

Then, about Advance phase. So the attacker may just move any of his units one hex? This just sounds very peculiar. And the defender may not react to this in any way? Funny.
You can advance all your units one hex within the movement restrictions for advancing. The defender does not react to this in anyway.

Next, about smoke. Is it really so difficult to place smoke? Some units only have smoke value of 1, making it very unlikely? (Now that I read the rules again, doest it mean that player has to make a dr only when placing smoke _adjacent_ hex? This would make much more sense!)
No your smoke exponent is always used whether placing in hex or adjacent. It is hard to place smoke with some troop types and some troops don't get any smoke at all.

Now the most puzzling question. In the rules it is quite clearly stated that only the units with box around it's morale value (broken side that is) have the self-rally capability. Now this means only the leaders actually have the skill, atleast in ASLSK counters, right? Now, on page 4 there is example about rally. And there a broken 5-2-7 is attempting to self-rally, well it does certanly _not_ have this magic box around its morale level. This is quite annoying because I don't understand if there's something wrong with the example picture or have I just missed something. :?: If I'm wrong, please explain. Again.
I do not have the ASLSK rules with me, but when you are the ATTACKER(it is your turn) you get one free MMC self rally. So that is how that unit is rallying himself in the example I would assume.

And last one. There might be an answer to this in the rules, but is it possible to capture enemy SWs?
If the SW is unpossesed you can either pick it up during the RPh by making a dr or in the MPh if you enter a hex or are in a hex with an unpossesed SW you can expend a 1 MF to pick the weapon up.

Oh and still one, does broken units make Pin Task Checks as normal, or are they marked with DM?
Broken units do not take a PTC and would be marked with a DM if they did not have one already.

Wes

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Except for a few exceptions (none of which I believe are covered in the SK), the advance phase is the one way to get your units into the same hex as an enemy unit for CC, since it can't be done in the MPh.

Alan P.

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two things: First, welcome; you've picked a GREAT game to learn. Secondly, we don't call the Advance Phase rule 'funny', we call it 'handy'!

Alan

Stryker

Recruit
Reaction score
Jack B. Quick said:
The Defender gets to "react" in his upcoming PFPH. At least that's the way I look at it.

Regards

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Remember the Defender had all DFPh to react : managing to get troops adjacent to the enemy and still in Good order is quite difficult!
Advancing in the Defender's hex happens mostly in urban (or jungle, but this is out of the ASLSK scope) situations, as the +3 TEM of buildings protects one's approach...

on page 4 there is example about rally. And there a broken 5-2-7 is attempting to self-rally, well it does certanly _not_ have this magic box around its morale level. This is quite annoying because I don't understand if there's something wrong with the example picture or have I just missed something. If I'm wrong, please explain. Again.
Janked is right : the Attacker can try one self rally with the first MMC he tires to rally, if there is no unbroken leader with it - event if the MMC is not usually able to self-rally (thus, try first to selfrally the broken leaders during RPh, then you can see which broken MMC really needs to selfrally)!

Welcome in ASL's universe : you are bound to stick around for quite a long time... I've been for more than 20 years, now (counting the preceding Squad Leader experience) and I hope I'll hold on at least as long! :wink: