Some thoughts on Starter Kit Expansion Pack #2 (SKEP2)

THE GOOD
Where to begin? This is a high quality product, up to MMP's usual standards. The boards are attractive. Everything is good.
THE BAD
Nothing.
ORIGINALITY
5.00 star(s)
PRESENTATION
5.00 star(s)
FUN
5.00 star(s)
PLAYER'S VERDICT

9 'Superb'

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
MMP supports ASL with two separate yet equal product lines: ASL and SK. These are their stories...

I picked up SKEP2 recently and have played three scenarios. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't
play SK. My friend Rob and I played the scenarios with essentially ASL rules (with a few exceptions).

They were all fun to play and quite close. Porting to ASL was done without any difficulty really.

There are three Chinese vs Japanese scenarios. Being SK, they are fairly straightforward.
They are a welcome addition, as I think MMP/AH published a relatively small number of such actions.

I think this might be considered essential for ASL players as there are two boards. The runway overlay
is a very welcome addition.

For SK players, this is an excellent offering, adding a new nationality, the Chinese, with their Human Wave
and Dare-Death fun.

If you have not done so yet, get it. You will have no regrets.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I agree it is a must have for Sk players (and maybe also for full ASL players). I have played the first 3 scenarios and feel they are a bit less extraordinary than scenarios from ASL SK4 PTO, but maybe it is because SK4 made me discover PTO. Playing the Chinese is also very special, and not that easy to get the best of them. I feel it is like playing Italian units (don't get me wrong I love it) but with super powers. How and when to use them must be mastered.
So, it is a great addition for the SK community.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree it is a must have for Sk players (and maybe also for full ASL players). I have played the first 3 scenarios and feel they are a bit less extraordinary than scenarios from ASL SK4 PTO, but maybe it is because SK4 made me discover PTO. Playing the Chinese is also very special, and not that easy to get the best of them. I feel it is like playing Italian units (don't get me wrong I love it) but with super powers. How and when to use them must be mastered.
So, it is a great addition for the SK community.

Agreed...I do like the challenge of playing the Chinese (or Italians) with 3 firepower squads. I tend to think of them
as half squads and use them in pairs.

indy

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Agreed...I do like the challenge of playing the Chinese (or Italians) with 3 firepower squads. I tend to think of them
as half squads and use them in pairs.

indy
With regard to the Italians, I find it is more their (broken) morale rather than their firepower that makes them a challenge to play.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That may be why we are seeing more scenarios with 347s instead of the 346.

What might be better than more 347s is leavening 346s with a few 447s (representing more experienced unit cadres). As we know, when motivated the Italians were more than capable of fighting well.