Some success matching a topo map to the game map.

hueglin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After much trial and error (about 15-20 map revisions) I have finally got the scanned topographical map to match up to the underlying elevation map and aligned (kind of) with the game's map grid. some of the issues involved having a NAD27 map and trying to match it to the NAD84 data. Suffice it to say it involved a lot of trial and error.

The 1km grids in the centre of the topo map line up almost exactly with the game map's 1km grids. As you move away from the centre in any direction, distance errors creep in. It's never more than 200m, which I think is acceptable.

Now I can start looking into how to add in the game terrain!

p.s the dotted black lines are the 1km grid from the game (blue lines are the map grid).

One unfortunate thing about the game's map system is that it only accepts an image that is 2000 x 2000 pixels which makes the zoomed in topo map look very pixelated. The original map scan I had was 6600 x 6600 (much nicer to look at zoomed in).

Last edited:

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I did warn you there is a nasty learning curve with all of this.
You have started down the path to serious gnashing of teeth, many unsavoury expletives and with luck a good scenario at the end.
WIth every new map you will find it does get better, but the complexity does not go away.