Some questions regarding bypass on a hill.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

Reading A4.34 (and a recent question from an opponent) has gotten me confused. I want to make sure I am doing things correctly:

A4.34 BYPASS LOS: "......If a unit is using Bypass (including VBM) along a Crest Line, and the obstacle it is Bypassing is on the higher level of that Crest Line, then the unit is also at that higher level (since a Crest Line itself cannot be Bypassed; 4.3)."

I think maybe this indicates that bypassing an obstacle on a hill means that it could cost 2 MPS - OR - it could cost 1 MP.

Looking at the following situations:

Bypass situation 1:
Bypass1.JPG

If the squad moves from M7 to O7, bypassing N6 it will cost 2 MFS in N6 (because the woods being bypassed is inside the crest line thus forcing the squad to ascend the hill in that hex) and 1 MF moving into O7 for a total of 3 MFs. I am pretty sure this is correct.

Bypass situation 2:
Bypass2.JPG

If the squad moves from X7 to Z7 bypassing the woods in Y7 it spends 1 MF in Y7 (because the woods being bypassed is outside the crest line so the squad bypasses at level 0 in that hex) and 2 MFs moving into O7 (which is where he ascends the hill) for a total of 3 MFs. Is this correct? Or should the cost be 2 MF in Y7 (because the wood hex being bypassed is also a hill hex regardless of where the crest line is) and 2 MFs moving into O7 for a total of 4 MFs? If I fire at the X7/Y7/Y8 vertex is the fire considered to target the unit at level 1 or level 0?

Because of this confusion I started looking at VBM.

VBM
D2.37 LOS: "Fire to/from a vehicle in Bypass alters the LOS rules somewhat because of the need to trace fire to/from the CAFP instead of the hex center..."

Bypass situation 3:
Bypass3.JPG

I have a stationary vehicle on board 2 in hex N6, bypassing the woods so the CAFP is at N6/N7/O7. (Note the the CAFP is at level 1). Is the vehicle considered to be at level 1 or 2 for outgoing and incoming fire?

My apologies if these are rudimentary questions. Sometimes with ASL it seems you play a certain way for a long time and then you are questioned on how you have interpreted a rule and after looking in the rulebook you really begin to question it yourself LOL. This has happened to me with bypass.

Anyway thanks for help anyone can provide.

John

Attachments

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bypass situation 1:
Bypass1.JPG

If the squad moves from M7 to O7, bypassing N6 it will cost 2 MFS in N6 (because the woods being bypassed is inside the crest line thus forcing the squad to ascend the hill in that hex) and 1 MF moving into O7 for a total of 3 MFs. I am pretty sure this is correct.
Correct - but it has nothing to do with the woods depiction being inside the Crest Line.

Bypass situation 2:
Bypass2.JPG

If the squad moves from X7 to Z7 bypassing the woods in Y7 it spends 1 MF in Y7 (because the woods being bypassed is outside the crest line so the squad bypasses at level 0 in that hex) and 2 MFs moving into O7 (which is where he ascends the hill) for a total of 3 MFs. Is this correct? No. Or should the cost be 2 MF in Y7 (because the wood hex being bypassed is also a hill hex regardless of where the crest line is) Yes. and 2 MFs moving into O7 for a total of 4 MFs? It would only cost 1 MF to enter Z7 from bypass in Y7, since you already moved "uphill" when bypassing. If I fire at the X7/Y7/Y8 vertex is the fire considered to target the unit at level 1 or level 0? Level 1.
See above.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You don't look whether the obstacle depiction crosses the crest line, only on which level is the obstacle hex that you are bypassing.

If you have two adjacent hexes, one is on a hill (level 1) and the other at level 0; and both contain, say, a building. If you bypass along the hexside between the two hexes, from a level 0 hex,
  • if you choose to bypass the level 1 hex, the cost is 2MF because you are moving up 1 level to do so;
  • if you choose to bypass the level 0 hex, the cost is 1MF
And then, say the hex right after that is a Woods hex on level 1.
  • if you choose to bypass the level 1 hex, entering the Woods from bypass only costs 2MF (for a total of 4) because you already are at level 1;
  • if you choose to bypass the level 0 hex, entering the Woods from bypass costs 4MF (for a total of 5) because you are entering the Woods from level 0.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As others have written, the where the artwork is and where the crest line is doesn't matter.
Bypass situation 1:
Units bypassing N6 are always at the level of the woods, so yes, 2 MF then one more to enter O7.
Bypass situation 2:
It's your second sequence. 2MF to bypass Y7 at level 1, and 1MF to enter Z7. If fired on at either vertex of Y7-Y8, the unit is at level 1. It wouldn't get HA if fired up from W7, W8, or X8 (B10.31).
Bypass situation 3:
The vehicle is at level 2, the base level of the obstacle in N6.

To give an example for @Philippe D. 's example, consider moving from 2H8 to 2I7. You could bypass H7-I8 for 1MF (at level 0) and enter I7 for 4MF more, or bypass I8-H7 for 2MF (at level 1) and enter I7 for 2MF more.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bypass situation 2:
Bypass2.JPG

....it would only cost 1 MF to enter Z7 from bypass in Y7, since you already moved "uphill" when bypassing.
See above.
Damn... I knew this. I did mean to say only 1 MF to enter Z7 from bypass in Y7. Unfortunately I copied what I typed for the Bypass 1 example and modified it for the Bypass 2 example. My editing skills failed here though. Good catch on your part.

Anyway thanks guys. Its a relief to know I have been playing it correctly all along.

I did a move like the Bypass 2 example and paid the correct MFs to do so (3 MFs). My opponent questioned the MF expenditure and when I went to find justification in the RB I came across A4.34. I do not think it was necessary to even mention the where the obstacle is in relation to the crest line in last sentence of A4.34. It certainly caused me some confusion.

My opponent generally wins rules disagreements which we have BTW - his knowledge of the RB is better than mine. However, I think he must have been having a brain fart that day...unfortunately he passed it along to me LOL. He later agreed that my original move was OK but after reading A4.34 in the RB I thought I had better post and see what others said in regards to this.