Some Questions From a Newcomer :(

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy again everyone,

Thankyou so much for helping me on my last post. I'm really trying to get the hang of this DA game, and its gettin easier, but I still had a few things I can't figure out! I spent hours lookin at em, but they still elude me....hmmmm

One is about the self-propelled artillery. They seem to have a smaller range than most other artillery, but for the life of me I can't get them to attack a target! Even when a target is within range of these things, they say no available artillery is within range?! Also, when you go to the unit screen by clicking on the blue square, the self-propelled artillery don't have the same options as other artillery.... :( For example, you can't put these in Counter Fire mode, or SEAD, etc.

This makes me wonder if they are for a different purpose than the long range rockets, but what is their purpose? They can't fire, or attack, so I have a whole bunch of artillery sitting and doing nothing :( It's very sad...

Second question I had was regarding attack helos. These guys rock at taking out lone infantry and such, I've noticed, but once they get back to base they seem really lame :( I try to send them out on another mission, but they have no available sorties.... I used them all up last turn -- but my question was, do I get new sorties for my use, and how? Or am I stuck with a certain limited amount for the entire campaign?

Thanx a bunch you guys -- I'm really havin a fun time with this program :p

-Angrylemur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like your SP Arty isn't coded as artillery. What scenario and specific unit are you looking at?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your attack helo question. It sounds like you've figured out how to send them on sorties and beat up enemy units. Once the helos are landed, they are quite vulnerable to enemy fire. They also need resupply - check their logistics, send up a convoy to resupply them. It helps to call for a big convoybefore you need it and site it as a FARP.

The helo crews also eventually need to rest. You should be able to get around 7 turns of continual flight out of them before they need rest. Let the unit sit idle for a few turns and the crews will be ready to go again.

You do only have a specific number of fixed-wing air sorties available per day; these regenerate at midnight.

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's one question answered :)

That was all I needed to know about the helos -- thanx a bunch James.

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James Sterrett said:
Sounds like your SP Arty isn't coded as artillery. What scenario and specific unit are you looking at?
I need to look at the mission number again -- I'll have to do that later. I click on the SP Arty and they just won't fire. Dunno why, but it's very frustrating. There are two SP Arty on this mission, and they are located behind some obstacles (about 6 of them)

There's an ocean to my right, and I think I'm near Kuwait and Iraq -- that's all I know about the mission. It's one that comes standard with the game, one of the lower ones to choose from when you open the load game file. SW something or other? I have 4 attack helos and 2 UAVs. Some mechanized infantry are located in fortifications along my obstacles. (3 sets of them I recall) I have no armor and don't get reinforcments until the 7th turn I think? :confused:

I hope that's enough info on which mission it is, but I don't have the name on me right now.... I'd have to go and check later on.

Anywayz, I hope ya'll had a great thanksgiving! I'm still stuffed, and got plenty of leftovers :D

-Angrylemur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clicking on the artillery unit isn't necessary to fire it, actually. The Plot Fire Mission button on the taskbar pays no attention to the unit you've selected.

If you select the artillery unit, and then the Unit Status Reports button, and you *don't* get the option to set it into General Support/SEAD/Counterfire, then something is wrong. [Doublecheck that the unit selected in the USR is actually the arty unit. :) ]

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never knew that about not having to click on the actual unit -- this is interesting. It probably is the same for attack helos and bomber missions then huh?

It's interesting that in a different scenario, the SP Arty does have the options for normal artillery, but its the long range rockets that are now messed up. Apparently its doing random crap like this for every mission. I think something must be wrong with my game; I'll try getting the patch -- reloading it etc to fix the problem. Hopefully that works... :p

When the arty doesn't fire, the red range circle is not as wide as it should be, and there are tons of intersecting grid lines going different directions inside the red circle. This is not normal for an artillery unit. For some reason, the ones that don't want to fire have this intersecting red gridline system, and the outer red range circle is invisible, or not displayed on the map?

I'm almost sure I have the arty set in some special mode where they won't fire, etc, but I can't place my finger on it... They move, etc just fine, but won't fire. Wish I had a picture so I could show you what I'm talking about...I'll see if I can get one soon.

Thanx a bunch James -- you've been an amazing help.

-Angrylemur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad it's helpful... part of my job is teaching DA. :)

You do need to have the helicopter unit selected to plot its missions, but the unit selected is not relevant when plotting air strikes.

What you describe for long-range rockets is correct. The cross-hatched area is the unit's minimum range - it can't shoot inside that area.

You can't see the maximum range circle because it is off the screen - and, for some of the really long-range rockets (hundreds of km of range), it may be off the map!

Look in the artillery or rocket unit's Unit Status Report; towards the lower left of that window, you should see entries for Max Range and Min Range. Maybe those will help with the confusion?

Some examples from the Germany-1 scenario, US forces:

3-100 FA [SP Arty], near Halle (in the middle of the map, easternmost US forces): 1km minimum, 24km maximum

1-94 FA [MLRS], near Halle, just SW of 3-100 FA: 10km minimum, 45km maximum

3-31 FA [ATACMS], nearly due west of 1-94 FA: 20km minimum, 300km maximum (which is off the map!)

Last edited:

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah Ha! That makes a lot more sense now :) I think I can get it to work now. Games really interesting so far; but I'll probably have some more questions later as I play more.

Speaking of bomber missions though....I haven't ever successfully pulled one of those off. I guess I'm just a little confused of when to use them and what targets to select, etc. Not really effecting my game right now, but I'm sure I'll use bombers eventually...

Thanx again James. Your awesome :laugh:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the version of DA you have, you should send in your airstrikes in 2-sortie packages, to reduce the number of aircraft sent away in the event of an abort.

You can greatly increae the probability of success by ensuring you have SEAD support (and better still, if you've had an ongoing SEAD effort), and if the strike takes place inside your SAM coverage (because this can engage enemy interceptors).

The NCT-1 scenario is a good way to practice using fire support. Done right, you ought to be able to keep your ground casualties below 5% as Blue, because you've got overwhelming artillery and air power.