Some questions about SMOKE.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. SMOKE is always fired first in your prep fire. But if that SMOKE is not attained. Then the subsequent choices of ammo with that Gun precedes the firing of SMOKE from other Guns? 2. Does the application of SMOKE upon a Spotter for enemy mortars effect their to hit chances. I understand that SMOKE upon a Spotter for Off Board ART affects the accuracy die roll. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1 If the Gun rolled higher than its depletion number, it is considered not to have fired and may fire at any time later in the phase or need not fire at all. If it fires again immediately using non-SMOKE ammo, no other ordnance may fire SMOKE.
2 Yes. A unit directing OBA (offboard or onboard) is an Observer, not a Spotter.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
1. My approach is that no firing has taken place other for purposes of Malfunction and the depletion of smoke for that gun and other Guns can try for smoke.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, So is an Observer masked by SMOKE? Okay, so we have numerous Guns now with SMOKE, six in fact, if one of them does not obtain SMOKE, then a player goes to the next Gun with SMOKE, but does not put a Prep Fire Counter on the Guns that failed to get SMOKE. And the Guns that failed to get SMOKE can still fire after all SMOKE attempts have been resolved. Or is my logic wrong in this regard? TIm

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mr. Weir. JR, disregard the second part of the question.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As Paul said, if the gun malfunctions or low ammos, it is considered to have fired and marked with a fire counter. Otherwise it is not considered to have fired.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, But what about the effects of a SMOKE placement upon an observer? Does the plus 3/ and the subsequent depleted plus 2 affect the to hit capacity of a mortar? We start in the morning tomorrow. Don hopes to force Steve to resign. And switch sides. Although personally I want to throw poor Steve into the sea, ie. off the board. Some opponents are so fun to beat. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR, But what about the effects of a SMOKE placement upon an observer? Does the plus 3/ and the subsequent depleted plus 2 affect the to hit capacity of a mortar? We start in the morning tomorrow. Don hopes to force Steve to resign. And switch sides. Although personally I want to throw poor Steve into the sea, ie. off the board. Some opponents are so fun to beat. Tim
We are still talking about Spotters (on-board MTRs) right, not Observers (OBA)? Any hindrance from the Spotter to the target applies to the TH roll, including SMOKE. I don't know what a "subsequent depleted plus 2" is. Are you referring to the +2 DRM for using Spotted Fire? Then that also applies.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, I am referring to the flipping of the SMOKE from +3 to +2. Okay, we will SMOKE the Observer in the Steeple. He has not one but two 8mortars

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
JR, I am referring to the flipping of the SMOKE from +3 to +2. Okay, we will SMOKE the Observer in the Steeple. He has not one but two 8mortars
It is a spotter, not an (offboard) observer.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, Someone corrects me, so I use the term "observer." And now I am corrected again. Note that I used the term spotter in my first question. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have obtained my answers needed for tomorrow's games. Thanks. I just wish someone else would ask these questions. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Index definition :
Observer (a Good Order leader with radio who directs OBA)
Spotter definition in the rules :
C9.3 ... One Good Order Personnel unit in the same or an adjacent hex to a mortar (regardless of vertical level distance and LOS) can be a Spotter (Δ) for any mortar(s) in one hex
Smoke affecting the Spotter's LOS will affect the mortar's TH while using spotted fire.
C9.3 further on spells it crystal clear :
Any LOS Hindrance DRM that affects the Spotter's LOS (or the crew in the absence of a Spotter) is applied to the mortar's To Hit DR.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, it was my fault for making the second part of my query ambiguous. What I meant to say was that I knew that SMOKE on top of a leader with a radio or between him and the target hex of the ART request/ spotting round affects the accuracy die roll. Sorry for the confusion. Tim

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not sure, but it almost seems that you are making the assumption that once a weapon has started shooting in Prep, it must complete all it's prep shots before another weapon can shoot? That is not the case. A squad can shoot a weapon (MG), another squad can shoot, and you can come back to the first squad to fire inherent or ROF.

If that is not the case, please just slap me....I respond to corporal discipline.

Last edited: