Some pertinent news from MMP

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully the DASL reprint as well as the new boards last year will spur new interest in the format.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really appreciated LfT's DASL pack and the MMP Winter Offensive DASL pack. Breathed a lot of fresh air into deluxe. Some great scenarios in those two packs.

I'm not buying the DASL reprint as I already own them, but will buy any new DASL packs. I like the tight quarters feel and the change of pace of playing on large hexes.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
DASL was dead and rightfully so.
That is correct. The dead should stay dead. MMP has forgotten this fundamental principal of vampire suppression, in order to suck more blood money from the faithful.

"The big boards have plenty of extra room in the hexes" -- well fiddle-dee-dee -- so does one big board with one big hex!

If that were the main criterion for playing this game, we could just play ASL scenarios as one big melee event, just to make sure we have plenty of room to stack counters.

After all, don't all good scenarios come down to one final melee battle? Let's just cut to the chase, for once and all! Forget all the rest -- moving, pursuing, routing, taking wall advantage....

The next step on this path of purity is to stop wasting time setting up Prep Fire kill stacks (why waste time setting up prep fire stacks, gotta move em out of the counter trays, might spill em!).

Let's just add an offboard direct fire rule and save time and energy setting up! Then we don't have to figure out getting them into position! Eliminate all chances for clumsy fingers to knock over stacks!

If ASL had ever been designed to make sure we had plenty of room to play, which it never was, we would have the necessary 4*83= 332 deluxe boards to cover the same terrain we have with genuine ASL. That doesn't include the double-wide boards, the ASLSK boards, the historical boards, the third party boards....another 300 deluxe sized boards probably to really cover what this game is for.

Deluxe ASL = Let's squash out all the manuever from a tactical game and put everyone right on top of each other in order to justify getting miniatures players to play the game and not have to deal with stacking counters. Oh! Except! Miniatures players never bought into the concept -- that's the reason this design fossil was a genealogically dead end long ago.

Nevertheless, let's resurrect it! Why not! More important than other reprints, by far and wide! Any fool should be able to understand this.

More to my usual beef, why do we have to be on Fakebook to find out bad production news from MMP? Is such news provided where it should be?

Here on their news webpage, for instance? http://www.multimanpublishing.com/News/tabid/82/Default.aspx

hmm! nope! Gasp, the very idea!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
we would have the necessary 4*83= 332 deluxe boards to cover the same terrain we have with genuine ASL
deluxe boards are half as wide as regular boards, but not quite half as long. They are fifteen hexes long and regular boards are thirty-three hexes long. You would need more than 4×83 deluxe boards to cover the same number of hexes.

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
DASL was dead and rightfully so.
This is absurd hyperbole even for you. If DASL was "dead" nobody would be playing it and nobody would have pre-ordered it. And yet, people do play it and a sufficient number of players did pre-order it. So all your statement seems to prove is that (a) you hate DASL and (b) you are unable to fathom that other people disagree with you. The first is an opinion that you're entitled to (although it's my personal belief, based on other things you've written about DASL in the past, that it's an opinion based largely on ignorance; but being ignorant is not a crime). The second is just simple stupidity.

Of course, most people sharing your opinion might simply shrug and say "oh well, not for me" or whatever. No, you have to pretend that your opinion is TRUTH and anything that contradicts it is FALSE. FFS, try growing up and behaving like an adult, just for once?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
deluxe boards are half as wide as regular boards, but not quite half as long. They are fifteen hexes long and regular boards are thirty-three hexes long. You would need more than 4×83 deluxe boards to cover the same number of hexes.

JR
That is correct. If it's not obvious to you, I was rounding to the nearest whole board. But you make an illustration that Deluxe is not even fully compatible with ASL in scale.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is absurd hyperbole even for you. If DASL was "dead" nobody would be playing it and nobody would have pre-ordered it. And yet, people do play it and a sufficient number of players did pre-order it. So all your statement seems to prove is that (a) you hate DASL and (b) you are unable to fathom that other people disagree with you. The first is an opinion that you're entitled to (although it's my personal belief, based on other things you've written about DASL in the past, that it's an opinion based largely on ignorance; but being ignorant is not a crime). The second is just simple stupidity.

Of course, most people sharing your opinion might simply shrug and say "oh well, not for me" or whatever. No, you have to pretend that your opinion is TRUTH and anything that contradicts it is FALSE. FFS, try growing up and behaving like an adult, just for once?
It's amazing that someone who can't resist personal attacks has the gall to suggest that someone else grow up and behave like an adult.

DASL was dead. It was dead for 30 years, in fact, before MMP began to try to revive it with the DASL Bonus pack. Between the publication of Hedgerow Hell and the publication of that Bonus Pack, there was a grand total of one--let me repeat that, one--product dedicated to DASL, and that was a third party product. By ASL standards, that's as dead as dead gets.

The fact that DASL scenarios are occasionally played does not negate that fact. Some people play SASL, too, yet--well, I'm not going to say SASL is also dead, because I don't want you having another stroke. The fact that "a number of players did pre-order it" is a totally invalid argument, as you well know, because it has been proven time and time again that "a number of players" will buy any ASL product, regardless of quality or anything else. The real question is how relatively popular DASL is to other types of ASL and the evidence is abundant that the answer is "not very," evidence buttressed by the very slowness of DASL reprint re-order itself.

Of course, I'm saying things you already know to be true.

I have certainly expressed my dislike of DASL--which is an opinion, though the reasons why I have that opinion are based on fact. And there is no reason on earth I should "simply shrug" rather than express my displeasure when the production of DASL, something I don't want, actually affects the production of things I do want. I have every right to, should I want to, shout from the rooftops about this. Of course, I'll note that I did not shout from the rooftops. I made a six-word post. Those six words must have been amazingly powerful to spark such a ridiculous diatribe and attack on your part.

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why the hate for DASL? They put it up for pre-order, and enough people pre-ordered it, so they are providing it. The interest was obviously there, so MMP provided it.

For one, I enjoy DASL. I enjoy tight fights where I can focus on the basic rules without a huge playing area to try to take in. But to each their own - people feel the same way about bocage, but I play and replay every scenario I can find with it as that (Normandy, G's and A's) is my favorite theater of the war. Theres is more than enough ASL goodness being released in the near future if DASL is not your thing.

If you dont enjoy DASL thats fine. Others do.

Chad

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to the whole point of this thread, and excitement for CdG, has there been an official word anywhere on what CdG will include? French and Italians are the last ones I am missing from my 80's/early 90's and now collection, so really looking forward to it!

Chad

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Why the hate for DASL? They put it up for pre-order, and enough people pre-ordered it, so they are providing it. The interest was obviously there, so MMP provided it.

For one, I enjoy DASL. I enjoy tight fights where I can focus on the basic rules without a huge playing area to try to take in. But to each their own - people feel the same way about bocage, but I play and replay every scenario I can find with it as that (Normandy, G's and A's) is my favorite theater of the war. Theres is more than enough ASL goodness being released in the near future if DASL is not your thing.

If you dont enjoy DASL thats fine. Others do.

Chad
Chad, Deluxe ASL is a boutique product for the very reasons you state. It is limited ASL to help focus on basic rules or firefights as you say.

People NOT playing bocage is not an equivalent analogy because there is no 'Bocage module' in the production queue ahead of core module reprints and stocking!

Deluxe ASL doesn't advance the ASL hobby because it has not advanced it for 30 years in any way shape or form, ref. remarks from Pitcavage above.

Reprinting and keeping in stock necessary vital core modules would. You want to call that hating DASL, then call it hating DASL.

Join the ranks of Hasbro (er MMP reporting for duty to Hasbro) because they seem to agree with you that this boutique killer Deluxe product should have priority over more relevant modules that would sustain the hobby as it should be sustained. What Hasbro/MMP are doing here is cashing in, which is fine, but it's no more than that.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People NOT playing bocage is not an equivalent analogy because there is no 'Bocage module' in the production queue ahead of core module reprints and stocking!
??? So, the only thing worse than Bocage is DASL and Bocage?

Wait for it...

Isn’t Hedgerow Hell one of the DASL modules being printed BEFORE core modules?

Yes, more Bocage...

Crap!

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
??? So, the only thing worse than Bocage is DASL and Bocage?

Wait for it...

Isn’t Hedgerow Hell one of the DASL modules being printed BEFORE core modules?

Yes, more Bocage...

Crap!
They couldn't have sold a reprint of Hedgerow Hell on it's own, but it did bulk up the overall Deluxe pack I suppose.

I doubt that those 4 boards were the kicker in getting up the pre-order numbers. Probably held them back, if anything ;)

In any event, the discussion you quoted wasn't about a hypothetical Deluxe bocage module, just a regular one, but yes, thanks for the zing! Funny!

That's another disadvantage with Deluxe, these small tactical area boards don't mix well geomorphically, unless grouped together by theme. The aesthetics are not pleasing as you can get with the regular board mixes.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Vote with your dollars!
If you do not like it... then don't buy it.
The companies that make ASL products do so, to at least break even.
If nobody buys then they don't make.
If players DO buy then they have voted with dollars about what they want.
Which does not have to agree with anyone else. (We call this a free country.)
But as for innovation, I know this... stagnation is death, you must advance to stay in business.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thank you Bruce.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One of the things overlooked regarding the dearth (not absence) of DASL publications since the release of Hedgerow Hell--which arguably soured many players on the format--was the cost of producing the boards. LFT showed that it could be done differently by switching to cardstock boards. MMP took this a step further and made the boards more distrubtion friendly by folding cardstock DASL boards in thirds. These "innovations" have made DASL more affordable and expandable than ever before. I think Winter Offensive Bonus Pack 9 illustrates this quite well--four boards and five large scenarios in a small package for the price of an ASL Action Pack.

If I'm not mistaken, AH released 15 DASL scenarios following the release of the original DASL modules. MMP added another 18 using only the original eight DASL boards (and some Deluxe overlays). That's pretty decent given that four of the original boards were of limited utility to designers due to their hedge-heavy landscapes. IMO, Streets of Fire was a great addition to ASL. I thoroughly enjoyed it, having playing every scenario multiple times. Granted DASL remained a niche format for three decades. But how much of that was related to the limited board set?

Last edited:

Thaliff

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
So, here's my attempt to get the thread back on track:

Original CdG contents and scenario count:

Contents:
  • Boards 40, 41
  • Terrain Overlay Sheet
  • 8 Revised RuleBook Pages 1st Edition
  • Chapter H French
  • Chapter N Divider
  • Scenarios 75 - 82
  • 3 Counter Sheets
Scenario List
  • 75 Strangers in a Strange Land
  • 76 End of the Ninth
  • 77 Le Herisson
  • 78 Encounter at Cornimont
  • 79 Bridge of the Seven Planets
  • 80 Play Ball
  • 81 Fratricidal Fighting
  • 82 For Honor Alone
New CdG

Aside from the CG Dinant, having a hard time finding a "what's in the box" post anywhere. Does anyone have any insight? I know it's due for preorder in a few days, but I'm curious.