Some interesting rules clarifications PB:HoD

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a few rules clarifications for PB:HoD I have recieved from Lewis Goldberg on CSW that I found interesting:

1) Regarding sequence of play during the Movement phase, all NON-ATTACKING units must move first. THEN you move assault fire units, overruns, etc. in the order listed. I personally did NOT find this clear in the rules written as they are.

2) Regarding Assault Fire, it is NOT like overruns and CAT attacks and normal direct fire in that you CANNOT combine fire from multiple units. I cannot, for instance, move three Shermans with the pronouncement that they will assault fire at a single target and then combine their fire for one dice role after the last one completes it's movement. Assault fire is performed by a single unit only, and since you cannot attack a unit more than once each Op phase, each unit moving assault fire has to fire at a different target.

3) I found the published Q&A Errata confused me regarding the loading and unloading of carriers. Lewis made it clear that you can indeed fire at carrier units BEFORE they unload IF they MOVED to that hex before unloading. The errata concerning Op fire triggered by loading and unloading taking place AFTER the action is performed ONLY refers to carriers that unload/load in the hex they START the turn in.

4) Units recieve the unspotted modifier versus artillery fire if it applies, but only if it applies at the time of the arty RESOLUTION, not AR PLACEMENT. In other words, if a unit is unspotted in a hex that an AR is placed but later fires or performs some type of action that bestows a "Spent" counter on it, it will NOT recieve the unspotted modifier to the Artillery Resolution.

5) The secondary combat results of a "X" result apply to ALL units, INCLUDING the surviving portion of the unit that takes the step loss. In other words, if you have a stack of two infantry, both disruted, and hit them with a "X" result, one is first step reduced, and then BOTH recieve a "DD" result. This means that the unit taking the "X" step lost will now be eliminated and the remaining unit stepped. Three steps of infantry lost for one "X" result, not bad. Really makes concentrating on disrupted units worth the firepower if you can afford it.

Hopes this helps somebody play the game a little better. The crew seems to be trying to clear up the rules and re-issue something soon.

RG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PanzerBlitz was the single most popular wargame in history. As you can see by the number of posts here, it's revival falls far short of the legend.

Oh, well...so it goes.

RG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the rules clarifications - if you get anymore I would be really grateful if you could post them.

I finally sat down to play my first game - set up the counters - started the first turn - then had to look at the rules so many times that I decided to stop until I had re-read the rules again and had written my own notes.

I hope that they do re-issue the rules booklet - it needs a re-write and is desperate for proper examples and proof reading.

ps - RandomG - I tried sending you a PM - but don't think it worked????

Cheers