Some Infantry Movement Questions

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

This came up from two learning players playing each other (me and my opponent), and we could see how the rule could be read both ways. So I'm seeking clarity. Here are the two cases:

Start of MPh (nobody has moved yet). Assume open terrain for this example.

9-1 Leader is in H10. 4-4-7 is in H9 (adjacent hex).

1. Can the leader move to H9 and then 'stack' with the 4-4-7 and continue moving as a stack? That is, 9-1 moves to H9. 9-1+4-4-7 as a stack move to H8, then H7, then H6.

2. If the answer to #1 is 'yes' can the leader give the stacked 4-4-7 its leadership bonus of +2MF, so they could go all the way to H4 (6MF)?

Thanks in advance,
p

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No. A stack can only be formed at the beginning. A4.2 "units may choose to move together as a stack ... but all members of that moving stack must end their MPh before another unit not in that stack may move." Once you start moving a "stack" of one unit, it must end its MPh before another unit may start moving.

JR

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR,

I am confused by your answer. Perhaps, I am reading too much into it.

Are you stating that the 9-1 SMC must end its move before the 4-4-7 MMC can begin its move?

Thanks,
Velo

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR,

I am confused by your answer. Perhaps, I am reading too much into it.

Are you stating that the 9-1 SMC must end its move before the 4-4-7 MMC can begin its move?

Thanks,
Velo
As Klas has stated a "stack" is only formed at the beginning of a phase [EXC: Recovering SW/Guns, (un)loading, etc.]. Now you can "drop-off a unit during the move, but other than a few very explicit circumstances, you can rarely form a stack once a phase has commenced.