Some Hakkaa Päälle weapons from random youtube browsing

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One on the Lahti 20mm ATR:

I liked this one for the detail on its operation - don't get your fingers in the way of the ejecting round. The historical background is interesting on selection of the caliber as well. Didn't know there were so many out there. Bet the auction price on these is painful though. Based on the apparent kick must have had to be dig in at the skis/supports to accurate. For its size, seems like it would be heavier too.

Bofors 37L(?) - probably the same as Polish and other minor allies too.

Between the two you get a feel that the Finns had pretty good weapon design sense. Didn't know of Lahti before either as a kind of John Browning for Finland.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the link to this site!
I particularly enjoyed the episodes on the Chauchat auto rifle and the Polish version of the BAR.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the link to this site!
I particularly enjoyed the episodes on the Chauchat auto rifle and the Polish version of the BAR.
Could see there was a lot more there, but didn't pursue. The presenter seemed to have a lot of background on this stuff. I'd seen the Solothurn on the guns show where the main owner got prosecuted, think went to jail, but
liked this because for the time he spends, you get a lot of info, not a lot of bombast. Thought it was interesting that the Lahti uses the same ammo as the Flak 30's and 38's. Sounds like the weapons authority that went with 20 mm, was having a similar thought process that I think went on with the .50 cal. Think they were right in the end with 20 mm, even though the 13.2 mm I think shows up too in WW 2 - some German, some Japanese.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could see there was a lot more there, but didn't pursue. The presenter seemed to have a lot of background on this stuff. I'd seen the Solothurn on the guns show where the main owner got prosecuted, think went to jail, but
liked this because for the time he spends, you get a lot of info, not a lot of bombast. Thought it was interesting that the Lahti uses the same ammo as the Flak 30's and 38's. Sounds like the weapons authority that went with 20 mm, was having a similar thought process that I think went on with the .50 cal. Think they were right in the end with 20 mm, even though the 13.2 mm I think shows up too in WW 2 - some German, some Japanese.
If you're referring to the Red Jacket show on history channel, IIRC, the ATR which they featured was also a Lahti.
Agreed that these videos are more enjoyable due to the lack of contrived workshop drama in Red Jacket.
In ASL terms, the 37mm Bofors appears to have rolled boxcars on it's TH, followed by a R1 dr.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're referring to the Red Jacket show on history channel, IIRC, the ATR which they featured was also a Lahti.
Agreed that these videos are more enjoyable due to the lack of contrived workshop drama in Red Jacket.
In ASL terms, the 37mm Bofors appears to have rolled boxcars on it's TH, followed by a R1 dr.
The one I saw was a Solothurn, but maybe they did the Lahti also - the Red Jacket one is the show I saw it on - "Sons of Guns". Guess you know the one guy went to jail.

On the Bofors, wonder if it wasn't so much a malf as a stoppage, kind of like a Panther stall for firepower. HOB I think did some rules on that, I think. I know more complexity.
Kind of like all crews are equal to hit.