Some EA Map Observations

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spent a little time going over the EA map, and made a few sample alterations that I feel like sharing:

1. Thrace and the Dardanelles:

As the British found out during WWI, you cant get to Istanbul unless you get through the Dardanelles. Also note changes to the nearby terrain.

2. Western Greece:

The rail line connecting western Greece with Albania is fictional as far as I can tell. This is pretty rough territory.

3. I redrew the Danube Delta, reflecting the actual location of the Danube and the lack of rail along the Black Sea coast.

I can produce a lot more of these if anyone is interested, e.g. the true location of the Iron Gates, and a redraw of Turkey's Aegean coast. So far I've checked from the Aegean to Vienna.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
One note... Istanbul should probably be one side of that super river hex (North, IIRC) to make attacking it from the wrong side more difficult.

If you want to correct the map then you're welcome too- just make sure you're working on the current version and that all your changes get checked by someone... otherwise someone will have to do loads of extra work.

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Ben Turner
If you want to correct the map then you're welcome too- just make sure you're working on the current version
It's 1.8(f)

and that all your changes get checked by someone...
Of course. And who should that someone be?

otherwise someone will have to do loads of extra work.
What's my deadline? :)

One note... Istanbul should probably be one side of that super river hex (North, IIRC) to make attacking it from the wrong side more difficult.
This is a good example of how every hex can be open to interpretation. IMO the city, the port, and the great river should all be in the same hex. Whatever units are garrisoned in the city would also be defending against both amphib invasion and air attack on the bridges. I think that one would have to control both sides of the strait in order to control Istanbul's geographic assets.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget to check the replacements starting locations after your changes. Don't want those Axis Turks starting in the ocean, do we? :D

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by SkyVon
Don't forget to check the replacements starting locations after your changes. Don't want those Axis Turks starting in the ocean, do we? :D
That's a good point.

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At first I was not going to change any coastline or city location for that reason alone - I was going to look at rivers, rail, terrain only. But then I noticed that Timisoara was about 300km from where it was supposed to be, and one thing led to another...

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
In my dealings with Europe Aflame 42 I have made a few minor tweaks to the terrain as well. You can see them here...

EA42 Home
I saw that a while ago. That's what first planted the idea in my mind.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Braveheart
At first I was not going to change any coastline or city location for that reason alone - I was going to look at rivers, rail, terrain only. But then I noticed that Timisoara was about 300km from where it was supposed to be, and one thing led to another...
This kind of thing happens. In the long run, it might be better to make the whole map from scratch with ODD. Of course, then someone would have to re-attach all the events to the appropriate cities, relocate reinforcements etc....

It's a hard world.

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Ben Turner
In the long run, it might be better to make the whole map from scratch
Rumor has it that the next TOAW patch will allow hexside rivers! THAT will be the time to re-do the map from scratch.

Until that day, if it ever arrives, IMO it's best just to tweak what we've got.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone have ANY idea as to the ETA on said patch? And what does the rumormill say will be in said patch?

The jury wants to know! :bounce:

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
The map itself started life on a very curious projection - it's sort of curved. Trouble is with making major changes is that, as someone's already noted, it'll affect the deployment, triggering Events, etc. I wonder if Timisoara was wrongly named? Is there another major Rumanian town in the vicinity?

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Mark Stevens
The map itself started life on a very curious projection - it's sort of curved.
Curved and squished. And the toe of Italy was amputated. :whlchr:

Trouble is with making major changes is that, as someone's already noted, it'll affect the deployment, triggering Events, etc.
I'll try to make a database of all cities and event-triggering locations in the current version. Except for fortifications and naval units, I think almost all units arrive in cities, and the scenario dump is only 843 pages long. :surprise:

I wonder if Timisoara was wrongly named? Is there another major Rumanian town in the vicinity?
Yes, Cluj. Right in the middle of Transylvania! :freak:

But that demonstrates how one thing leads to another: The Iron Gates are in fact located between Bucharest and Timisoara. But since Timisoara is actually over by the Yugoslav border, so are the Iron Gates.

The Iron Gates on the Danube

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where is EA42 available for download?
EA42 is a work in progress...the main obstacle is the sheer size and time. One man can only do so much. :whlchr: I am also waiting to see the results of Ben's OOB updates for the original version. It makes sense to see how his updates go so I don't have to modify the original OOB only to change it again once Ben's is completed. In short, this project is bogged down in procedure right now...

Team EA42 is accepting volunteers! :nofear:

Braveheart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Mark Stevens
Grrr. I've made (most of) the map changes suggested for the Balkans by Braveheart.
So do you want me to post suggestions piecemeal like I did a the beginning of the thread?

Who or what are you grrr-ing at? I though I would save you the trouble and do map changes myself. I've been making hex maps for wargames since Edirne was still Adrianople, but if you want to do it yourself or you don't want anyone doing it at all, just say so.

Please don't "grrr" because I don't know what that means and I scare easily.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
I am also waiting to see the results of Ben's OOB updates
This is where I feel bad. I've kind of been dragging me feet on this (there again, I originally said I'd start work in JUNE). The disappearance of www.freeport-tech.com/wwii is a contributory factor to this.... but I should still be able to make a decent OOB. I'll put the current version up here when I've finished the Axis (Turkey and Vichy France to go, plus some bits and peices).

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Here we go...

This is supposed to be the finished Axis OOB. However there are probably some holes in it and the quality does tail off rather towards the end (as I wanted to get this done today and also sources were running out). If there's anything you think should be changed let me know.

As before, the zip includes the scenario file, executable (yes you do need this even if you downloaded the last one. Some new stuff is in there including a hypothetical Rumanian assault gun!) and notes to go with the OOB (mainly unit arrival times and replacement rates). I think some information is missing from this, in particular I need to add in the arrival dates for the Finnish Corps.

Last edited:

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
n.b. I am having problems with my connection so the above file may be corrupted.