Solo play (non-SASL) - how to handle HIP/'?'

kazbah_707

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know many players solo regular scenarios. What do you do if one or both sides have HIP or Concealment ('?') in their OOB?

Avoid such scenarios?
Increase the number of '?' counters?
Make up stacks and shuffle until you can't remember which is which?

What do you do when the time comes to resolve an encounter with a concealed/HIP stack?

Is there a common standard method for running such scenarios solo?

Thanks...Alan

PS Special thanks to Andrew (Reepicheep) Nugteren, for helping me complete my Annual collection, and Mark (Pitman) Pitcavage for pointing out a bargain "Buy-It-Now" copy of Those Ragged Bloody Heroes.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So you got the Bloody Heroes? Great! Hope you enjoy it. I'm glad a fellow Forumer got it.

I don't know what other people do, but I treat concealments normally, and place HIP counters under another nationality's concealment. Then, when playing the "enemy," I try to force myself to act as if they were not there. The rules suggest simply adding extra concealment counters in lieu of HIP units, but I didn't find that to be the same.

kazbah_707

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Keith - that link looks like it's got some interesting stuff, that addresses exactly what I'm looking for.

Still curious about other players' ideas/techniques.

Thanks....Alan

Flarvin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For Solo I play the following rule modifications:

OOB ?’s – used to conceal units as normal or to created ‘dummy stacks’ (of 2x?).

‘Dummy stack’ are treated as normal except for:
Treat as known for enemy rout purposes, except they can not cause failure to rout or surrender. Basically they prevent enemy from routing in their direction as long as there is another legal rout path.

They can control the location they occupy. Location returns to original owning when they are eliminated or move. If victory conditions require exiting, I count each ‘dummy stack’ exited as one victory point.

Hidden units (except mines) may not be targeted, but they are affected by fire targeted at other unit in its location or hex for area fire (with normal to hit and IFT procedures). AR may not be positioned with a hidden in the area of effect if no other enemy unit is can be effected (even for Smoke).

Hidden mines – x2 and treated as known.

Pre-reg OBA- no hexes recorded, add -1 to accuracy rolls per Pre-reg hex (while original observer with radio/phone remains in start location). Once original observer moves or transfers radio/phone the accuracy modifications are removed.

Flarvin

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I do it as Mark.
For Mines, I use the WoA "Known minefields", and add "Dummy minefields" (1 for 2 real ones) : I place the mines not knowing which are dummies and which are real... Works well.