Solitaire HASL Campaign Games

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been pondering the gazillions of ASL scenarios that I own and realize I'll never put a dent in the pile playing FtF. And I like to play scenarios FtF. I also like to play wargames solitaire and sometimes even prefer it.

So I've been thinking on going on a run of solitaire ASL play. One area I'm thinking of doing so is playing the HASL campaign Games that way. I've tied FtF play a few times with the Campaign Games and was not too keen on it. Mainly because it takes a long time and by being spread out so long I lose interest. And if you fall behind, it becomes dreadful. But maybe a CG solitaire might be worth a try.

So, do any of you do so? if so how is the experience?

What would be a good short one to try out?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I've been pondering the gazillions of ASL scenarios that I own and realize I'll never put a dent in the pile playing FtF. And I like to play scenarios FtF. I also like to play wargames solitaire and sometimes even prefer it. Fred, This describes me in a nutshell. I love playing FTF once a week (Live Cardboard via Skype, really no different from actual FTF), but I have also always enjoyed solo play as well for a laundry list of reasons. The pace you feel like that day, stop and start when you want, ability to slowly digest new rules and tactics, and the chance to really slow down and enjoy the narrative. I am probably one of the few who derives just as much enjoyment from solo play as I do from FTF. Not more, not less...the same. So, I also play one solo scenario a week. That averages about 100 scenarios a year and that pace will whittle down your 'To Play' pile fairly quickly.

So I've been thinking on going on a run of solitaire ASL play. One area I'm thinking of doing so is playing the HASL campaign Games that way. I've tied FtF play a few times with the Campaign Games and was not too keen on it. Mainly because it takes a long time and by being spread out so long I lose interest. And if you fall behind, it becomes dreadful. But maybe a CG solitaire might be worth a try.

So, do any of you do so? if so how is the experience? I have done so and the experience was just as enjoyable as playing the same CG FTF. I've solo'd and FTF'd Purple Heart Draw and had a great time both ways. I've did the same both ways with LCP's OzBay and the long (7 date, IIRC) Pegasus Bridge CG. I've solo'd (but not FTF'd) LFT's Gates Of The Reich and Steve Swann's 'Hart Attack'. I've never played any of the RB, VotG, FB CGs, but my understanding is LCPs and the other two I listed are much more 'manageable'. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the solo CGs I've played.

What would be a good short one to try out?
Assuming I need 7 characters! :)

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed the SASL version of Red Barricades and Valor of the Guards.

Edit - Those are definitely not short. Tons of fun, but lengthly indeed.

LFT 11 has a nice Anzio campaign with the 1st Ranger Battalion.

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed the SASL version of Red Barricades and Valor of the Guards.

Edit - Those are definitely not short. Tons of fun, but lengthly indeed.

LFT 11 has a nice Anzio campaign with the 1st Ranger Battalion.
There are SASL versions of CG's? Where does one finds these?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are SASL versions of CG's? Where does one finds these?
ASL Journal 1 has the SASL Red Barricades stuff.
I do not recall if VotG SASL stuff has ever yet been published by MMP - my last understanding is it was sent to MMP after pplay testing by Tom Morin - sho is the designer - and it was accepted as a design - beyond that, address the quesiton to Chas Argent and / or Tom Morin for up to date information on if it is going to be seen soon or not.

SASL BR:T rules are under development and playtest that I am aware of - I did some proofing for these - but they are not yet submitted that I know of.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Journal 1 has the SASL Red Barricades stuff.
I do not recall if VotG SASL stuff has ever yet been published by MMP - my last understanding is it was sent to MMP after pplay testing by Tom Morin - sho is the designer - and it was accepted as a design - beyond that, address the quesiton to Chas Argent and / or Tom Morin for up to date information on if it is going to be seen soon or not.

SASL BR:T rules are under development and playtest that I am aware of - I did some proofing for these - but they are not yet submitted that I know of.
OK, thanks. I haven't seen anything on these from MMP so I would venture to guess that they will not be published soon.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, thanks. I haven't seen anything on these from MMP so I would venture to guess that they will not be published soon.
Tom Morin completed all development, and likely knows far better than anyone else on the VotG SASL project status at the moment, he is GS member, you can PM him here on the forums.
RB SASL was published in J1 back in 1999.

KL, Jon H

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom Morin completed all development, and likely knows far better than anyone else on the VotG SASL project status at the moment, he is GS member, you can PM him here on the forums.
RB SASL was published in J1 back in 1999.

KL, Jon H
Thanks, I have Journal 1 so I'll have to take a look at it.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
If you have Pegasus Bridge, a SASL version of the second campaign game (just the 5 daytime phases) was published in The Boardgamer. It's out of print but you can get a pdf version from WargameVault for cheap (it's in Volume 8, issue 1.)

I've not played it (yet) myself (nor any other SASL-HASL campaign for that matter,) so I can't vouch for how it plays. I'm guessing it would be a little faster/less involved than RB or VoTG though.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have Pegasus Bridge, a SASL version of the second campaign game (just the 5 daytime phases) was published in The Boardgamer. It's out of print but you can get a pdf version from WargameVault for cheap (it's in Volume 8, issue 1.)

I've not played it (yet) myself (nor any other SASL-HASL campaign for that matter,) so I can't vouch for how it plays. I'm guessing it would be a little faster/less involved than RB or VoTG though.
Thanks for the great suggestion.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing Red Barricades SASL campaign. Only three days in (Oct 19th). Enjoying it, but my interest does come and go. Also different then the FtF games I played years ago due to the randomness of the activations, more Russian tanks popping up than the FtF games. Still has it's fun moments, nothing like having your German death star MG stack's leader panic for 3 turns in a row, really stalls the progress.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing Red Barricades SASL campaign. Only three days in (Oct 19th). Enjoying it, but my interest does come and go. Also different then the FtF games I played years ago due to the randomness of the activations, more Russian tanks popping up than the FtF games. Still has it's fun moments, nothing like having your German death star MG stack's leader panic for 3 turns in a row, really stalls the progress.
SASL's command and control rules are the one thing missing form ASL, IMO. Suffice to say a planned integration is involved in the Greater Berlin HASL project.

;)

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Probably old news, but George Bates alerted me to Tom Morin’s VotG SASL located on the MMP Website, ASL Downloads.