Solitaire gameplay with VSL

Ogreking

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use my laptop for work... and I travel a LOT. So I often find myself in airports with time to kill. One of my favorite things to do is play games by myself to try out new strategies... however I see that some games are set up so you can only play one side, unless you save it and then open it up again as player 2.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Take C&C Ancients for example. A beautiful game and a great module. But I can't solo this without saving and reopening as if I were player 1 and then player 2. Is there a way to start this to allow me to pull cards for both sides and play them without doing so?

Thanks for any help.

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very briefly, there is a way but youll need the mod author (or yourself) edit the module itself.
Add a third player "solo" and enable that player to have access to all traits, windows, hands etc

I'm sure someone can elaborate a bit more detail than I've given

KLG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's pretty much as travillaintim says, the designer needs to set up a solo side with access to everything to allow solo play. Barring that, you would need to edit the module yourself.

I always include a solo side iin my modules for just this reason, and I always make sure that the side selected by a player gets reported somewhere during play so that everyone may be assured the solo option isn't being used when in a multi-player game.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You'll need to "Edit" the module. I just did it, it's pretty simple really.

Start VASSAL, and instead of "Play Module" select "Edit Module". Select the C&C module that you want to edit. This will open up the game's main window (with the chat screen) as well as a smaller "editor" as I call it. Look for the line that reads "Definition of player sides":

Double click on that to get to the properties. Add a "3rd" player, we'll call him "Master":

Type in the 3rd players name (Master in this case) and then click on "Add".

Click Ok to save that definition.

Now, scroll down and look for "Player 1's Hand (Private Window)":

Double click to edit that window. Add the new player definition that we just created, "Master" like so:

Click "Add" after you type in "Master" and then "Ok" at the bottom.

Do the same for "Player 2's Hand (Private Window)".

Now, select File > Save (or click on the little floppy disk icon) and confirm to overwrite - or do a File > Save As if you want another copy. That would be the better idea if you play this game online with others so that you don't have version mismatches.

Now, when you play solitaire, select the player side that will show up "Master" and that player should have access to both card hands/discard piles.

Hope that helps!

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, no problem. Get through that and you're half-way there to learning to create your own modules! :cheeky:

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You can do that, but of course, you could always just do it the easy way:whist:

Startup the module and choose a side. Save the game. Edit Preferences and change your password. Load the save game and choose the other side. You can now change sides just by 'Edit Preference' and change your password to one or the other of the two you are using. Don't forget what they are:OHNO:

seanmac31

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome. I just put together a solo module for C&C which figures to keep me entertained for the indefinite future. (Maybe I'll get adventurous and try to put the bonus scenarios together.)

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm using VASSAL Engine 3.0.17 and Path of Glory modul (POGV5.mod)

I used the instruction to add a master to the Path of Glory modul. This worked well and I can start the game while using the master. I also have acess to both card decks. Unfortunatley there seems to be some kind of bug and I don't know what to do.

Always when I want to draw cards from the draw pile into my hand I first right-click and enter the number of cards. But then when I'am supposed to left-click and drag&drop into my hold box I simply cannot drag&drop. Instead my mouse begins to paint a rectangle. So I'm not able to fill my hand deck.

Anybody heard about this and knows how to overcome this problem?

Thanks

CK

JMOxx75

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm using VASSAL Engine 3.0.17 and Path of Glory modul (POGV5.mod)

I used the instruction to add a master to the Path of Glory modul. This worked well and I can start the game while using the master. I also have acess to both card decks. Unfortunatley there seems to be some kind of bug and I don't know what to do.

Always when I want to draw cards from the draw pile into my hand I first right-click and enter the number of cards. But then when I'am supposed to left-click and drag&drop into my hold box I simply cannot drag&drop. Instead my mouse begins to paint a rectangle. So I'm not able to fill my hand deck.

Anybody heard about this and knows how to overcome this problem?

Thanks

CK
Yeah, each deck is in fact a separate map that is created inside the main map window or any map window. You have to go into the properties of the deck cards (found in the prototype) to see if there is a restricted access property. If there is then it is probably set to player 1 and player 2. If you added a solo player definition you must add the solo player to the restricted access property for that side definition (solo) to access the deck.

Last edited: