Solitaire ASL

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As ASL continues to evolve with new boards, etc. Are there plans that eventually SASL will be (re)published or have a 3rd Edition?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Phew! I have no idea.

But my best guess is that we would see an ASLRB 3rd edition before a SASL 3rd edition.

von Marwitz

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As ASL continues to evolve with new boards, etc. Are there plans that eventually SASL will be (re)published or have a 3rd Edition?
I believe that MMP has a few SASL submissions (VotG, RB, Berlin). I think a Spec Ops edition would be a great way for MMP to get a new ( 3E ?) SASL out.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I doubt it. MMP doesn't seem interested in reviving SASL. They were supposed to release the Finnish Generation tables with Hakaa Palle, but that never happened. There are alot of great resources here on GS, in the SASL forum. I posted my own Finnish tables on here, and I am currently working on a new map generation table. I am including the BFP and other non official module boards as well.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the SASL community is strong on line but not big enough to generate any motivation form MMP and to a small extent Third Party Publishers. I get the impression that some Publishers feel that gaming is a shared experience and that playing solidarity is 'anti-social'?

It might be for some but I feel that the SASL players I know like it for some of the following reasons:
it's the only way they can play with the physical components of the game, (there is VASL if you _want_ or _need_ to play someone else; but VASL has it's issues too)
it is a way of learning rules and or tactics. reviewing rules and or tactics.
The Group SASL is also a social experience and one that is not available unless playing a team game in a HASL Campaign

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
the SASL community is strong on line but not big enough to generate any motivation form MMP and to a small extent Third Party Publishers. I get the impression that some Publishers feel that gaming is a shared experience and that playing solidarity is 'anti-social'?

It might be for some but I feel that the SASL players I know like it for some of the following reasons:
it's the only way they can play with the physical components of the game, (there is VASL if you _want_ or _need_ to play someone else; but VASL has it's issues too)
The Group SASL is also a social experience and one that is not available unless playing a team game in a HASL Campaign
Where is this Group SASL and HASL located online? All the links I clicked for any SASL stuff is dead links, nothing new, nothing growing...nothing....?

SASL seems dead to me...sad face...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I pretty much agree. I think that as MMP 'works' on their e-ASLRB they should just add the SASL rules to the base core e-ASLRB. There is pretty much no way that SASL would make a pre-order #.

Just my $.02.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
If not a 3rd edition, how about a reprint of the 2nd edition?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At some point, unless MMP puts out of print stuff up with a pre-order target, how will they know what would sell or not?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
At some point, unless MMP puts out of print stuff up with a pre-order target, how will they know what would sell or not?
They could do it - but then I think it would need to be with the caveat that no development/layout/etc. is really started until the P# is reached. Unlike how it is usually done with ASL products, which are closer to being ready for the printer when they go up for pre-order.

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where is this Group SASL and HASL located online? All the links I clicked for any SASL stuff is dead links, nothing new, nothing growing...nothing....?

SASL seems dead to me...sad face...
Just put up the SASL CG "Tiger Ace - Otto Carius" on ASL Scenario Archive under Point Blank # 5.2. PDF has all rules and 10 missions.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They could do it - but then I think it would need to be with the caveat that no development/layout/etc. is really started until the P# is reached. Unlike how it is usually done with ASL products, which are closer to being ready for the printer when they go up for pre-order.
Sure, no problem. Especially given that it would be a reissue of an existing product (potentially with errata and/or extensions).

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, no problem. Especially given that it would be a reissue of an existing product (potentially with errata and/or extensions).
SASL would be like BV, RB, and all of the others in that it is a completely new layout. There was nothing left from any of the other modules, can't expect SASL to be any different.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SASL would be like BV, RB, and all of the others in that it is a completely new layout. There was nothing left from any of the other modules, can't expect SASL to be any different.
It probably wouldn't - so basically it has to be done more-or-less from scratch.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, this is where my absence from ASL over the years is depriving me of context. I would have thought that MMP would have all the electronic documents, artwork, layouts, etc. for existing products. I understand that they've redone the counter artwork (but the SASL counter artwork isn't exactly super detailed), but a Word document is a word document (for example). Did they have a fire and lose the originals? Did the wife get the games, dog and house in the divorce? Why is this post devolving into a bad country music song?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, this is where my absence from ASL over the years is depriving me of context. I would have thought that MMP would have all the electronic documents, artwork, layouts, etc. for existing products. I understand that they've redone the counter artwork (but the SASL counter artwork isn't exactly super detailed), but a Word document is a word document (for example). Did they have a fire and lose the originals? Did the wife get the games, dog and house in the divorce? Why is this post devolving into a bad country music song?
It's a bad country music song. They have zero electronic copies of any of the older stuff. I think it is more along the lines of software change/ printer improvements, ect.

Thy have alll of the re-printed stuff on e-file now. :)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a bad country music song. They have zero electronic copies of any of the older stuff. I think it is more along the lines of software change/ printer improvements, ect.

Thy have alll of the re-printed stuff on e-file now. :)
Hopefully backed up off-site. Time to go shoot my pickup truck with the broken axle.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully backed up off-site. Time to go shoot my pickup truck with the broken axle.
Don't forget to run over the dog BEFORE the truck gets hit by the damn ole' train!