Soft Launch!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How can making gun rotation slower be a realism improvement as long as the crew can't push it backwards?

WTF?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I mean, is this, or was this, any issue that was raised? I don't recall any discussion.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The issue of traverse (inside the carriage or vehicle) and rotation (of the carriage or vehicle chassis) has always haunted CM.

Even though the two things exist as different concept it seems that rotation is always modeled as very slow (slower than what you see the same vehicle do on youtube in ww2 videos) and traverse too fast.

Now, lack of intelligence on part of the TacAI requires that for realist gameplay you must make it faster than it physically is in reality. Because if you don't then you will not be able to fire at a vehicle that - for example - dashes between houses, where a real crew would not follow with the traverse but proactively aim a couple houses ahead.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The biggest issue for towed guns still isn't rotation or traverse. It is that gun crews cannot push the gun backwards. In CM they will always rotate the gun 180 degrees first, then push it forward.

That means you will not be able to fire from the edge of cover (say the top of a ridge) and then save the gun before it is spotted. It won't just pull or push the gun back, they will rotate it 180 degrees, only then start moving.

That wouldn't be so bad if towed gun rotation was realistically fast, but CM makes it very slow. In reality the crews of small and medium guns has been sized specifically so that they can indeed lift the carriage and rotate the gun on its wheels. At jogging speed.

There also was a similar problem with unrealistic rotation requirement, and then with unrealistically slow rotation speed about vehicle hookup or unhook. Details escape me right now.