SoCal ASL Gameday 3/9

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Jim Aikers, President for Life

We had 10 members, plus a cameo by Stance and Cheryl Nixon, for the March edition of our ASL Game Day at the Guild House in Bellflower:

Dave Kocot brought his copy of Red Factories. So we strung 3 of the 4 maps out on one of the long tables and packed three full scenarios simultaneously on them. It was very cool, and over the course of the day various customers came by and checked out what we were doing.

On the southern end of the map, Dave "Special K" Kocot and I paired up for "The Playing Field". (More on that game below.) In the center of the Red October map, Dan Plachta's Russians defeated Peter Strand's Germans in "Defenders of Stalingrad". That scenario looked a little hard on the Germans, and both Peter and Dan had the same conclusion. To the north, on the southern portion of the Red Barricades Map, Guy Jimenez' Russians defeated John Tessier's Germans in one of my favorite RB scenarios "Oh Joy".

At our other table, Ric Hammond's Germans defeated Scott Thompson's Russians in "Kempf at Melikovo". An at the other end of that table Geoff Coward's Germans squeaked out a last CC phase win over Fen Yan (AKA "Mr. Deluxe")'s Russians in "Brave Little Emchas". And because Dan and Ric's games cleared fairly quickly, Dan introduced Ric to Night with "Cat & Mouse". Dan's championing of Night scenarios lately has officially earned him the nickname "The Prince of Darkness".

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Dave Kocot and I were slugging it out in the Red October scenario "The Playing Field". The dice gave me the Germans, defending two factories near the southern board edge. It's December, 1942 and the Germans are grimly holding onto those factories, while suffering from Low Ammo. They get a mixed quality company supported by a couple of 81mm Mtrs without Smoke, plus some wire, mines and trenches. The Russians get a powerful reinforced Guards company with DC's and a FT.

Victory involves squad equivalents in the two factories at game end. The VC's are steep, requiring the Russians to have 15 more points than the Germans. I balanced my defense, encircling one factory with wire, and putting all 12 Mine factors in one hex in front of the 2nd factory. I used both Mtrs, spotted by a 6+1, on the German right. David brought in his attack with two prongs, one at each factory. This scenario quickly turned into your basic factory slug-fest... in other words, classic Red Factories fighting. The fight came down to a razor close finish, with my Germans prevailing by just 1 VP. We both had great fun with this scenario, and really enjoyed our game.

We had our usual lunch at the nearby pizza place, and the survivors enjoyed an excellent barbecue dinner at Hambone's. It was another great day of gaming at our most popular venue!

-Jim

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, I wish I would have known you guys were doing that I would have driven up for sure. Sounds like a blast. Did the Sizzler close? I can't imagine those guys passing up Sizzler. LOL