So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looking at the map at the end of Japanese Turn 2 of S75 They Always Returned and I think I've already lost it. Frightened by SSR 2 which gives the Chinese a 50% chance of a 12 firepower DFPh attack--to simulate air support--I had set up my AA gun to counter the threat. Which meant my most effective anti-tank, and anti-infantry for that matter, weapon wasn't up front to stop the Chinese advance. Or rather, it was forward on the right-hand side and my opponent went left. My strategy now is to throw troops at him piecemeal to slow his progress.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The start of Chinese Turn 4 and one more building gives him the game. In my Turn 3 a DC-totin' 8-0 leader charged a tank but a Wound slowed him to a walk. Took out one of the Vickers 6-tonners with the MMG and that was fortunate. Still, things were looking bleak. I was expecting a lot of Prep Fire, instead my opponent chose to Assault Move. That might have worked, but his troops were thrown back. Yep, roll low and don't cower--that's the ticket! And it didn't get any better for the attacking side. I was able to keep the brokies DM and stopped a mad dash for an unoccupied building. The good guys win again.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
S76 A Less Peaceful Christmas presented an interesting challenge to me as the Japanese. The Filipino force looks brittle(3-3-6s)but one part of the Victory Conditions--points are awarded for building control at the end of every game turn--puts the pressure on. The Japanese come from off board 10 hexes away from the nearest building hex. Lots of kunai and palm trees mean no long-range fire opportunities and so the Filipinos are racking up points the first three game turns at least.

A Banzai netted me one building though the main enemy fire group caused some casualties. I had to take it out and that was going to be difficult. There were 3 3-3-6s, 2MMGs and an LMG, a -1 American advisor for fire direction and an 8-0 for rallying in a stone building. Fortunately one of my light mortars(manned by a 2nd line half squad)still had WP and rolled low enough to Hit. Only one squad failed the -3 NMC but it was carrying an MMG. Another Banzai carried the day.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Took a break from play testing and played S4 Welcome Back. Very enjoyable scenario, liked the "Snow" SSR! This is kind of buried in SK1, so if you get a chance to play it do so, it is fun!!

Thanks
Joe

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Most recent SK Scenario I've played is S16 Legio Patria Nostra, Free French Legionnaires against German occupiers in Italy. The second game I have played in the Tactical Tuesday Game of the Month (GotM) series. GotM is set up/hosted/ sponsored by Stephen Stewart, host of the VASLing with Stew/Tactical Tuesday YouTube and Discord channels.

My second time playing this scenario, first time as the attacker. My opponent and I hoped to get some experience with artillery, and both sides had major successes in that. The Germans received the scenario balance in the form of an additional MMG. The first two turns had the Free French advancing on a broad front, probing for access into the German perimeter, but the skillful defense prevented the attackers any entry. Turn 2-3 saw two major reverses for the German defense, the first with the Legionnaires pushing a German 467/LMG out of the stone VC building at wO6, but the most dramatic being a critical hit by the French 60mm mortar in Turn 3 on the VC building at wP2, taking out another 467/LMG combo. The loss of the German squad/LMG anchoring their left flank allowed several French squads to push into the German left and attack the VC building at the deep center at wL4. This forced the Boche to reveal their well concealed 20 mm AA piece in wL5, which stalled the attack. The 75L AT gun firing from the orchard at wI4 scored a major success in vaporizing a French 648 and breaking a 458 that had just won a CC battle for the VC building at wO5. Both events slowed the French attack, but good Rally rolls and the Legionnaires numerical superiority allowed the attack to push forward. By Turn 5, the French had secured 4 of the VC buildings needed for victory, and the intense German counter attacks were unable to dislodge them. The issue was in doubt until the very last CCPh of Turn 6, but the French held on for the win. Steve B put up a phenomenal defense and skillfully executed it, but the French DRs were just a bit better on the Rallies, MCs, and most obviously, Critical Hits. Great Game!

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
S77 Dutch Trucks played fast though not in the fun way. The Dutch win as soon as they exit 15 VP, have 5 turns to make it happen and start the game with 8 AFV worth 5 points each. With a 3 ROF 37L AT gun I felt reasonably confident about stopping the dash for the board edge because the armor factors were low. That's not how it turned out. In fact, 4 were off by turn 3. My opponent was unhindered by SSR 2 and I couldn't destroy, immobilize, shock or even stun enough vehicles. The next time I play this the Japanese will get the Balance--a crew and an ATR

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S77 Dutch Trucks played fast though not in the fun way. The Dutch win as soon as they exit 15 VP, have 5 turns to make it happen and start the game with 8 AFV worth 5 points each. With a 3 ROF 37L AT gun I felt reasonably confident about stopping the dash for the board edge because the armor factors were low. That's not how it turned out. In fact, 4 were off by turn 3. My opponent was unhindered by SSR 2 and I couldn't destroy, immobilize, shock or even stun enough vehicles. The next time I play this the Japanese will get the Balance--a crew and an ATR
View attachment 15894View attachment 15895

ON my play list!!

Best,
Joe

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Started off the 2021 gaming year with Tony F playing scenario S33, Few and Far Between, pitting the German invaders against Dutch defenders. As the attacker with the sole AFV on the board, I attempted a coup-de-main by entering the village from the east while my infantry attacked from the west, and assaulting his defensive line from the rear, cutting off his rout paths and interdicting his reinforcements. Great plan that did not survive first contact with the enemy, as Dutch MG fire destroyed my Pz IIA on the first turn...didn't get a single shot off with it...even using the smoke dispenser (sD6) failed. Adding insult to injury, the tank was taken out by LMG fire! What came after that was an infantry slog with the Germans crossing a lot of open ground and leaving too many broken units in bad locations and not enough leaders to rally them. The final attack did not have enough firepower to force the defenders from the village. Well played, Tony!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Looking at the ASL scenario "Dead of Winter", plan to try it SK style, might pick a different map??

I enjoy doing this for solo plays every once and awhile.

This old classic should be fun this way..

Best,
Joe

Last edited:

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Looking at the ASL scenario "Dead of Winter", plan to try it SK style, might pick a different map??

I enjoy doing this for solo plays every once and awhile.

This old classic should be fun this way..

Best,
Joe
Have this ready to go, probably next week on playing? These "diversions" have been fun to do!!

Thanks
Joe

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have this ready to go, probably next week on playing? These "diversions" have been fun to do!!

Thanks
Joe
Gentlemen

Snuck this in late last week, (Dead of winter) very enjoyable!! Hope to do a few more of the old "T scenarios" as well..

Best,
Joe

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
"Retaking Vierville" with a long time friend of mine. I've introduced him to wargames via Combat Commander: Europe, which he liked, and decided to move further. At first he was sceptical about the complexity of ASLSK (he's mostly an eurogamer), but after one session he liked it very much, so we played "Retaking Vierville" two times, switching sides. Both times the Germans won. Next is "War of the rats" - and I hope that we'll play through SK1, he'll like it and we'll move to SK2, 3, 4 etc. up to full ASL.

The Hobby must be spread through and carried over!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Retaking Vierville" with a long time friend of mine. I've introduced him to wargames via Combat Commander: Europe, which he liked, and decided to move further. At first he was sceptical about the complexity of ASLSK (he's mostly an eurogamer), but after one session he liked it very much, so we played "Retaking Vierville" two times, switching sides. Both times the Germans won. Next is "War of the rats" - and I hope that we'll play through SK1, he'll like it and we'll move to SK2, 3, 4 etc. up to full ASL.

The Hobby must be spread through and carried over!

Very nice!! :)