So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My friends, you know that stuff your dog leaves on your neighbor's lawn? Well, I would respectfully suggest you guys are full of it. Habits will form that have to be unlearned? Like what? Except for a few idiosyncrasies, Starter Kit is ASL. So you lost a scenario because you didn't realize voluntary break was not an option, how is that different from losing a scenario because you were unfamiliar with some rule in full ASL? I play both Starter Kit and regular, and playing at the SK level has made me a better ASLer. Yes, there are some scenarios in the Kits that are absolute woofers--S10 Paper Army, for instance--but those are exactly the scenarios to play against a beginner, as long as you can hold your competitiveness in check and take the least favored side. In fact, I think I'll go play S10 right now--there HAS to be some way for the Italian to win...
I wish you would say what you meant and not beat around the bush LOL.

We will continue to disagree though. Nothing wrong about SK but it is a differnt game. The fact that it is so simular is what makes the errors more ingrained. If like yourself and myself you play both these problems do not exist (which maybe is why you don't see it). I was talking about playing only SK for extended time without learning full ASL can cause you to build up a habit of doing things in a way an experiance ASL player would not and it would take time to shift these habbits, especially if you are not playing someone who points out these errors.

As always just an opinion but in future can you pick up that stuff off your neighbours lawn, it's not polite you know!!

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This disagreement is why I am a proponent of intergating full ASL rules into Sk scenarios as you go along. The density and compelxity of the SK scenarios make most of them do-able in an evening and accessible to begiinners. thus you start adding things, they start gettiin them down and soon they are transitioning over the the full system.

I'm beginning the armor integration starting next week.

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
So... what are some good scenarios to skip in the three SK modules? Ones that do not introduce anything new and/or are not balanced etc.

Buck K

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So... what are some good scenarios to skip in the three SK modules? Ones that do not introduce anything new and/or are not balanced etc.
I think I may have played every scenario, and really can't say there is a bad one. Some are difficult for newbie attackers (e.g., ambitious assault, vierville, etc.) due to balancing toward the experienced players. I have played paper army a few times and liked it. I think it was a clever design. For me the beauty of the starter kit scenarios is how fast a just post noob player can play them. I played two scenarios yesterday, and could have played four if we didn't chat so much. Very little rule book lookup, a few things like voluntary break, withdrawal from ambush came up but really don't change the feel much, just a lot less little things to worry about. If you are planning on going to full ASL, if you mastered SK 1, I'd recommend moving to the simple full ASL scenarios (e.g., strayer, gavin take, etc.). The ordnance chart though brilliant does cause a bit a confusion when you move to full ASL. SK3 tanks is such a large step in complexity, I really don't think the difference is that much from full ASl. Play the short ones first, Monty's Gamble is great first tank scenario. The Bonus pack are also quick, fun with a little full asl chrome to boot.

If you really HAVE to skip something, skip the long ones and play the short ones twice!!

I really think I'd be playing combat commander, up front, down in flames if it wasn't for starter kits and the great collection of scenarios.

bk

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think I may have played every scenario, and really can't say there is a bad one. Some are difficult for newbie attackers (e.g., ambitious assault, vierville, etc.) due to balancing toward the experienced players. I have played paper army a few times and liked it. I think it was a clever design. The Bonus pack are also quick, fun with a little full asl chrome to boot. bk
I tend to agree. All of the infantry-only scenarios are worth playing, primarily because they reinforce the central game mechanics. Some folks are turned off by some scenarios, especially those featuring Inexperienced troops. That's a pity. If you can master these weak troops now, you will be a better player--regardless of whether you stick with Starter Kit or not--in the long run. Besides, you will miss out on some truly entertaining scenarios later in your ASL career (EX: Sicilian Midnight and Play Ball). And unless you plan to avoid US troops altogether, it is good to develop effective tactics for your low-morale squaddies early in your gaming.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tried S10 Paper Army again in an attempt to secure an Italian victory. Can it be done? This time I gave the Italians the balance, reducing the playing area by four hexrows thus making exiting easier, because they seem to need all the help they can get. The chance of an immediate victory and the four leaders in the OOB provide incentive for sending four squads and two 7-0s to the board edge while the rest of the Alpini Division tries to stop the Greeks. The feets-don't-fail-me-now strategy favors a southern sweep, CXing and then Advancing the track stars to the woods hexes in H0 and H1. Once they're past the trees these 10VP can head west without having to worry about long range interference. Moved most of the Italians to hexrow B(B2, B4, B5, and B7)to make entry difficult for the Greek Army, and decided to stack the half squads with the squads so that they'd be Defensive-firing with 4 FP at least, then gave the LMGs to the squads in the best cover, in B4 and B7, and stacked Sgt Rossi with the units in the wooden building. Sgt d'Andretta, the remaining two squads and the malf'd MMG took up residence in C7's stone building.
Against the stout grey line, a broad advance was indicated. Unfortunately, Advance is not possible, the Greeks have already expended 2MF. I must have played this wrong the last time because I don't recall the same FFMO and FFNAM havoc in that game. Or maybe I just rolled really badly for the Italians. Not so this go. Only 2 and a half squads, an LMG, and Sgt Tsolako were still standing when the smoke cleared, and they didn't survive Italian Turn Two. I thought an Italian victory was in the bag when the Greek flanking elements didn't show up on the first attempt. At the end of Italian Turn Three 10 VP of CXed leaders and squads were in X3 and W4, poised to step off the board, and the rest of the gang were heading west as well.

Wouldn't you know it, the Greeks decided to show. And--it's almost like they had ESP or something, or knew what had happened to their friends--this time they're assault moving onto Board X, and not in open ground, no, everyone's entering on X0. I consider holding off until Final Fire, but instead let fly with 12+2 on the first moussaka muncher who joins the party. That's not a bad shot, and the 4 Res isn't too bad either. Also, there's a possible 6 flat Subsequent First Fire if the other Greeks choose Y1 or W1. The first squad is broken but no one else is. Greek squads advance to Y1 and X1 while Sgt Bogdas stays in X0 to rally the guys with the LMG. Which he does. Now the Italians have a choice--do they run or gun?

With the benefit of hindsight gunning might have been the better option. Instead, one squad is broken and ELRed on a 4-1 shot in Y3, Cpl Papini changes his rank and name when he and another squad are broken on a 4 flat shot in Y4, and, you guessed it, Cpl Callo and two squads are broken in X5 on a 6+2. And nobody comes back because the Greeks are able to keep them DMd and herd them north. By the time the victors of Row B arrive on the scene the Greeks are established along the treeline and stop enough of the 2nd wave to win the game. Even with the balance and the elimination of the Turn 1 Greeks, the Italians come up short.

It appears that the best thing for them to do is to keep moving, because some of them might be needed for exit VP. Maybe this scenario isn't as broken as I thought. I'll have to play it again some time, and try the fighting withdrawal approach, though I think the 4 squads plus two leaders end run puts the pressure on.

Buck K

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tried S10 Paper Army again in an attempt to secure an Italian victory. Can it be done? This time I gave the Italians the balance, reducing the playing area by four hexrows thus making exiting easier, because they seem to need all the help they can get. The chance of an immediate victory and the four leaders in the OOB provide incentive for sending four squads and two 7-0s to the board edge while the rest of the Alpini Division tries to stop the Greeks. The feets-don't-fail-me-now strategy favors a southern sweep, CXing and then Advancing the track stars to the woods hexes in H0 and H1. Once they're past the trees these 10VP can head west without having to worry about long range interference. Moved most of the Italians to hexrow B(B2, B4, B5, and B7)to make entry difficult for the Greek Army, and decided to stack the half squads with the squads so that they'd be Defensive-firing with 4 FP at least, then gave the LMGs to the squads in the best cover, in B4 and B7, and stacked Sgt Rossi with the units in the wooden building. Sgt d'Andretta, the remaining two squads and the malf'd MMG took up residence in C7's stone building.
Against the stout grey line, a broad advance was indicated. Unfortunately, Advance is not possible, the Greeks have already expended 2MF. I must have played this wrong the last time because I don't recall the same FFMO and FFNAM havoc in that game. Or maybe I just rolled really badly for the Italians. Not so this go. Only 2 and a half squads, an LMG, and Sgt Tsolako were still standing when the smoke cleared, and they didn't survive Italian Turn Two. I thought an Italian victory was in the bag when the Greek flanking elements didn't show up on the first attempt. At the end of Italian Turn Three 10 VP of CXed leaders and squads were in X3 and W4, poised to step off the board, and the rest of the gang were heading west as well.

Wouldn't you know it, the Greeks decided to show. And--it's almost like they had ESP or something, or knew what had happened to their friends--this time they're assault moving onto Board X, and not in open ground, no, everyone's entering on X0. I consider holding off until Final Fire, but instead let fly with 12+2 on the first moussaka muncher who joins the party. That's not a bad shot, and the 4 Res isn't too bad either. Also, there's a possible 6 flat Subsequent First Fire if the other Greeks choose Y1 or W1. The first squad is broken but no one else is. Greek squads advance to Y1 and X1 while Sgt Bogdas stays in X0 to rally the guys with the LMG. Which he does. Now the Italians have a choice--do they run or gun?

With the benefit of hindsight gunning might have been the better option. Instead, one squad is broken and ELRed on a 4-1 shot in Y3, Cpl Papini changes his rank and name when he and another squad are broken on a 4 flat shot in Y4, and, you guessed it, Cpl Callo and two squads are broken in X5 on a 6+2. And nobody comes back because the Greeks are able to keep them DMd and herd them north. By the time the victors of Row B arrive on the scene the Greeks are established along the treeline and stop enough of the 2nd wave to win the game. Even with the balance and the elimination of the Turn 1 Greeks, the Italians come up short.

It appears that the best thing for them to do is to keep moving, because some of them might be needed for exit VP. Maybe this scenario isn't as broken as I thought. I'll have to play it again some time, and try the fighting withdrawal approach, though I think the 4 squads plus two leaders end run puts the pressure on.
This is a great write up. I looked up my results on ROAR and i was one of the six Italian wins in my one playing, but after looking at the board I really couldn't remember how the game played out. But I think I'm ready to give it another go. My opponent was a beginning player, but I was also when I played it. If you VASL i would love to give it another go!!

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a fan of a lot of the SK2 sceanrios - they seem one sided one way or the other. everyone talks about Paper Army - but Over Open sights is a real headache for the Germasn. a couple of big American guns, with lots of open ground to approach - man, its tough to get there in any kind of condition to take those guns.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Finished off Goring's Men (S32) from Operations 53. Roar now has this at one win per side. Shame so few recorded playings as this one was good fun. I wonder if the Operation scenario's get much play?

Anyway on with the show. My opponent set up to far forward with two of the guns in an attempt to get them into the game. This is a difficult point as you need to use all you are given to get the best out of your chances. On the other hand his MMG was not very active but I did fear it!! The mistake was made worse by allowing me to attack the guns in turn with overwhelming odds. Defending can be a difficult and fairly new players tend to try to defend too much. One good Malfed and before it could be repaired I had control and distroyed it. The second was on the opposite hill, not a bad position if strongly supported. Personally I would set up back in the grain area near the stone building suppoted by the MMG. I would want to fire the guns as soon as possible as hits by them can make a nasty mess. Rate was a nill factor in this game for the Russian with the guns getting maybe one second shot.

If you have a hankering for a Gun based scenario this one is worth a try.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thoses Stats are what made me pose the question. Makes you wonder if the SK content is worth including in the mag then really.

Reaction score
Thoses Stats are what made me pose the question. Makes you wonder if the SK content is worth including in the mag then really.
Since I started trying to learn and play ASL (both versions), I haven't had any time for other games. Add in the fact that so many of the IGS and Gamers' Series titles are out of print, and Operations doesn't look too appealing. On the other hand, I do appreciate that MMP doesn't put just enough ASL content in the magazines to compel me to buy them. The regular issues are at least fairly reasonable ($6-$7).

Come to think of it, a big appeal of ASLSK is the price point. I imagine that a lot of casual players see Operations as an unnecessary expense, not realizing that the regular issues are very cheap compared to the Special Issues. Heck, people exposed to ASLSK through BGG and the like may not even realize Operations even exists. I know I never heard of it until I started getting into ASL.

OTOH, the SK content may be what is keeping the magazine afloat.

Kala

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
What page can I load my ROAR, I have been playing SK but I don't know where place that info.

Kala