So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: S-028 Out Of Luck

Road hexes are exempt regardless of how entered.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Played through S4 Welcome Back for the second time solo tonight.

In the first game I split the German forces and attacked from the far north and far south trying a two pronged attack. It failed miserably. The defending Americans fought off the Germans in the north and taught me the dangers of crossing open space near an MG, and the benefits of laying residual fire for defence.

In the second game after setting up the Americans similar to last time (slightly artificially because I knew I was going to try something different with the Germans this time), I then went all in to the south to try and swamp the south flank. The Americans had a couple of elite units with flamethrowers in the woods which slowed down the Germans and inflicted some pain, but there were too many units. Plus I had held back my leaders in nearby buildings to rally broken units and get them back in the game. I did assault move onto the board with a decent leader, a squad and ad MMG onto O10 to pin down some American units, or at least slow down their race to the south, and again this worked well. Though there was some fun back and forth with them being broken, and then rallying under DM the next turn, so a bit of luck involved as well.

Good game, I really enjoyed this scenario - you never feel you have quite enough Americans, just that 1 more squad ...

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I played through solo for the second time tonight, after the allies performed terribly in the first game giving an easy win to the defending Italians.

This time I realised I had to get the Americans into the fight earlier so I had time later in the game to advance carefully without throwing caution to the wind and crossing open ground. This noob is finally learning the power of moving over prep firing, and using your defensive fire phase in your opponent's turn to better effect. Plus these are good assault troops so advancing fire has more bite. I still struggle to get smoke, the amount of duds I have thrown in games. I also realised if a unit is stacked with a leader so they have 6MF it's possible to move a space, then place smoke and advance into the places smoke - nice.

The Italians set up well with the HMG on the left at O9, and two other MGs on the hill in the middle. These MGs caused the Americans some pain and held them back, to the point where around the end of turn 4 I thought it was going to be another Italian whitewash. I had left slightly less troops to the south as a rearguard to the British arriving later, which cost me dearly.

The Americans advanced and the majority of the troops attacked down the east side avoiding the HMG, and they fared quite well with some clever use of LOS and drawing out defensive fire.
The 9-2 leader, squad and MMG on the west didn't do too well and were broken and later reduced. It was only a second squad sneaking through the woods that eventually caught the Italians HMG's eye which allowed them to rally and get back in the fight.

The Italians stubbornly held on and were looking very strong when the British arrived. I realised the British were going to have to take risks of they were going to have an impact so I stacked as many units with the leaders as I could and CX'ed forward. A couple of units broke but enough British squads got in the mix with the Italians to start causing them trouble. I then realised it was a mistake not leaving even a single LMG with the southern Italians as they were quickly overwhelmed. This allowed the Brits to start menacing the Italians from the south and even drawing some defensive fire shots which gave the Americans the chance to surge forward and close in on the Italians.

At this point I started to appreciate how fragile the Italians are with their low morale and importantly very low ELR. Units didn't just break, they usually were downgraded to conscript level troops which are very unlikely to rally in this scenario. Plus the Italians lost a few troops for failure to rout because they were caught between the two sets of allied troops. The Italian defence started to crumble at quite a speed, but it was still a race to clear the town to achieve the victory conditions.

It went to the wire with four separate close combats taking place around the board, all of them in victory condition buildings! The first three were won by the Americans with the Italians being eliminated. In the final close combat I had an American 747 against a 136 conscript squad and a leader. The Italians rolled over their kill number, then the Americans rolled exactly their kill number, so it was random selection for casualty reduction. If
The half squad was picked the Americans had won, if it was the leader then the Italians would win by virtue of having a single HS left in melee in a victory condition building ... and the leader bought it!

Wow, what a great game! I am amazed at the ebb and flow and how quickly the battle can change. I was considering restarting around turn 4 because I thought there was no way the allies could win so I learnt some lessons about hanging in and waiting for the more powerful units to maneouver into place, plus I learnt how quickly a defence can be overrun when surrounded and populated with low morale troops. It was also fun to see the Italians roll a couple of snake eyes to my disbelief which I thought had completely stuffed my plan of attack, only to see the same two MGs breakdown in the next turn. How quickly fortunes can change.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I played S51 Enter the Young from the expansion pack last night ... badly. When setting up I thought that was going to be relatively easy for the attacking Americans because they had an embarrassment of good squads, how wrong I was. I made a common mistake for me which is to use leaders to get the extra MF when it makes more sense to keep them back to rally troops, and with most troops having a morale of 6 that was extremely necessary. You plan and learn.

Couple of fun points for me from this game: I finally managed to place a DC that actually went off - woohoo! And I liked the use of tank wrecks which provided some useful hindrance and colour to the game, nice touch. I couldn't for the life of me find the rules for tank wrecks in the SK rules, but the almighty Google delivered, all praise. As I find myself doing more and more these days I did easily find the rules clearly defined in the full rulebook, but I wasn't sure which bits applied to SK (hindrance yes, +1 TEM??).

I intend to play this scenario again next week if I have time (I have my first ever FTF game!) to try new tactics, looking forward to it.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I played S51 Enter the Young from the expansion pack last night ... badly. When setting up I thought that was going to be relatively easy for the attacking Americans because they had an embarrassment of good squads, how wrong I was. I made a common mistake for me which is to use leaders to get the extra MF when it makes more sense to keep them back to rally troops, and with most troops having a morale of 6 that was extremely necessary. You plan and learn.

Couple of fun points for me from this game: I finally managed to place a DC that actually went off - woohoo! And I liked the use of tank wrecks which provided some useful hindrance and colour to the game, nice touch. I couldn't for the life of me find the rules for tank wrecks in the SK rules, but the almighty Google delivered, all praise. As I find myself doing more and more these days I did easily find the rules clearly defined in the full rulebook, but I wasn't sure which bits applied to SK (hindrance yes, +1 TEM??).

I intend to play this scenario again next week if I have time (I have my first ever FTF game!) to try new tactics, looking forward to it.
Yep, cool scenario. My wife has played it at least three times. The pertinent rule references in ASLSK are on page 24 (of the ASLSK3/EP1 rule booklets):
7.4 AFVs as Cover and Wrecks; and
7.4.1 AFV/Wreck LOS Hindrances

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

I couldn't for the life of me find the rules for tank wrecks in the SK rules, but the almighty Google delivered, all praise. As I find myself doing more and more these days I did easily find the rules clearly defined in the full rulebook, but I wasn't sure which bits applied to SK (hindrance yes, +1 TEM??).
You may want to look at the ASLSK Index for ASL Players. The ASL one is probably more useful than the ASLSK one for you because you may remember a rule from ASL that is n/a in ASLSK.

JR

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
S-01 ("Retaking Vierville") ........ and not.

Hey, it's been a while between ASLSK scenarios for me.......

But that might be about to change, as I introduced a work college to ASLSK. We basically play between classes when time permits. His name is Leo, and he's about 20 years younger than me, and pretty keen to play whatever strategic games are around. Good potential here!!

Naturally we started off with S-01 ("Retaking Vierville") . Leo got the (balance assisted) Germans, while I took the Americans. This scenario has been fairly well covered in this thread (its my 5th playing of it), so I'll keep this short.

:mad: Dammit; now I realize that I forgot to report the game I played with Jimmy (a Taiwanese teenager, who was a bit overwhelmed by the game, but credit to him for having a go).

In that game my Americans were all over Jimmy's Germans, who were pretty much FTR'ed to oblivion after 4 turns. I wasn't trying to be a big bad bully; sometimes the dice just take over........ :nuts:

However, my Americans were far cry from that kind of form today. But it was at least a close game for the most part. I recommended to Leo to have the Germans block the American reinforcements, while the 548s head for the VC area. That's pretty much what he did, and my response was to use smoke and patience to get the Americans as close as they could without taking any major risks. A good time to emphasize the point of not allowing yourself to be defeated in detail.

Unfortunately, one of my 8-1 leaders rolled a 12 MC, and Xed himself out on the subsequent wound dr. This caused me a small setback, but as the rest of my reinforcements arrived (especially the 9-2), the initiative definitely swung back my way. But I just couldn't budge the 548s from the stone buildings. Leo got full value from their 8 morale, and in the final American MPh, was able to ensure that nobody was in position to advance into n6, which pretty much decided the game after n6 survived the AFPh without so much as a scratch.

It looks like we will switch sides and replay the scenario next week.

John.

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Re: S-01 ("Retaking Vierville") ........ and not.

I haven't yet played S26, Last Ally Last Victory. This is pretty much the scenario every ASLer or WW2 fan would love: IS-2s, T-34s, and T-34 85s up against King Tigers, Panthers, and good German infantry. Looks like a great scenario

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I haven't yet played S26, Last Ally Last Victory. This is pretty much the scenario every ASLer or WW2 fan would love: IS-2s, T-34s, and T-34 85s up against King Tigers, Panthers, and good German infantry. Looks like a great scenario
There's more to this scenario than the heavy metal jousting (although I'm happy to concede that its probably the biggest attraction). While the Germans are coming in from all angles, the Russians are trying to withdraw the 628s back to the main village at the south end of board U.

Unless one side gains a decisive upper hand in the armored clash, I can't help but think that victory in this scenario is going to be determined by how well the Russian player is able to effect this withdrawal. Digging 628s out of stone buildings is usually a tough ask......

John.

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Leo and I finished our 2nd and 3rd ASLSK scenarios today. I must confess that I underestimated the pace at which Leo wanted to learn this game....... demo charges, flame throwers, bring 'em !!!

S-02 ("War Of The Rats")

Leo took (balance assisted) Germans, I took the Russians. My defense practically ignored F8, with the major focus going on defending o6. The game started slowly for the Germans, with the majority of their FP attacks having very little effect on the Russians. The Russian reinforcements arrived on turn 1, and by the start of German turn 5 (where we resumed today), there were about 8 Russian squads defending the block within p4-o4-n4-n8-p9. The lack of real progress forced the Germans into suicide attacks on the final turn, which were never going to come to fruition without considerable fortune, and Leo's dice were notably cold during this scenario.

The one lesson that at least materialized from this playing was the defensive philosophy of defending the bare minimum, so as to not dilute the defender's resources.

S-05 ("Clearing Colleville")

After some pretty atrocious form in the previous scenario, it was inspiring to see Leo getting straight back on the horse and wanting to get another game going. Leo took the (balance assisted) Americans. I defended with Germans. I had the HMG placed in k2 to cover the entry of the German reinforcements. The onboard Germans are assigned the job of delay, delay, delay, while the turn 2 reinforcements look to infiltrate to j3, k4, and maybe L3 if they're able to. Once again, just do the minimum.

This is my 4th playing of this scenario, and its been something of an enigma for me. The American strategy of forming fire-groups ('minus' leader, MMG, 2 666s. 16FP, leader directed), while the 346s play the skirmish role seems to practically suggest itself. But in the previous 3 games, the Americans always seemed to be playing catch-up and eventually came up well short. However, this time around, the fire-groups did manage to reduce the German positions, and the Americans were close to irrepressible, with the Germans pushed close to virtual oblivion by the end of game turn 4.

It's fair to say that the Germans didn't enjoy much luck this time around, but you might also add that Leo and his Americans were also well due for the rub of the green......

John.

Last edited:

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S-02 War of the Rats

Just started a battle against my 12 y/o this evening. We made it to turn 4 before bed time. Luckily for me the kid set up exposed so the entire west was vacated by prep fire before movement began. He's moved most of his survivors into the central bldg and half of my good weapons are in a pile left behind by broken squads. Still awaiting the appearance of his reinforcements. Good scenario....Nazi's should win this one this time but a skilled delayer as the Sov's would be tough to beat.

Last edited:

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished A Long Way to Go (S11) from SK2. Germans won on the 6th turn. Americans rolled an overabundance of boxcars, which decimated their key squads, and broke their mortar. Even if the Americans had had better luck, I think this scenario favors the Germans. Nevertheless, it was a fun play.

Next up is 88s at Zon.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Anyone play any of the scenarios from the Xmass 2005 (06) ASLSK pack that is downloadable
here on GS? I was wondering how any of these play.

Thanks
Joe

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Gentlemen

Anyone play any of the scenarios from the Xmass 2005 (06) ASLSK pack that is downloadable
here on GS? I was wondering how any of these play.

Thanks
Joe
Where can I find these scenarios?

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where can I find these scenarios?
I thought they were in the download section? If not email me at

jgochinski at yahoo dot com and I will send you the PDF file.

Regards
Joe

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
S54 Operation Natzmer

Played the scenario against Hennie. Had not played for a while so felt real rusty. But it was a fun scenario, me playing the German attackers. Made a stupid mistake that did not allow some of my broken units to move out of harms way. So my planned attack stalled from the word go.
But in the end I did manage to control several of the needed multi-hex buildings, but not enough. And Hennie, being a real good player and teacher, kept things under control. Learned a lot again.

Cool scenario that allows both the defender and attacker lots of options.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
S54 Operation Natzmer

Played the scenario against Hennie. Had not played for a while so felt real rusty. But it was a fun scenario, me playing the German attackers. Made a stupid mistake that did not allow some of my broken units to move out of harms way. So my planned attack stalled from the word go.
But in the end I did manage to control several of the needed multi-hex buildings, but not enough. And Hennie, being a real good player and teacher, kept things under control. Learned a lot again.

Cool scenario that allows both the defender and attacker lots of options.
Must have a game next time we meet Hans!