So what Starter Kit Scenario have you played recently?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Game 1 (yesterday) S-46 ("Where The Winter Lingers").

7.5 turns played on rows H to X of (a deep snow, level 0) board q. The Russians need to exit 7 VPs off the east edge. Both sides field 8 morale rifle squads, and there are SSRs for falling snow (equal to a +1 DRM/6 hexes FRU, which does not negate FFMO or interdiction), and deep snow. The deep snow makes orchard and open ground hexes cost 1.5 MF, and prevents the use of Double time movement after turn 3, at which time units have to take NTCs to move. Those that fail receive a CX counter (without the Double Time movement benefits), and those who are already CX cannot move at all. In the extreme case of failing a NTC by more than the unit's ELR (4 for the Russian, 3 for the German), the unit becomes broken !! (although not DM). I also created the map on VASL, saved the map as a photo image, and printed it out at the local 7-11. The effect was quite convenient, not to mention novel...

View attachment 48913

John.
Thanks for the AAR.

Have wanted to play this one with my wife for some time. The Extreme Winter SSR are intimidating. It also helps to have a winterized map. It really gets you into the mood, not that we need much of that at the moment here. It's been in the minus 20s for the better part of two weeks.

I will show her your AAR.

-cd

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I got in a few ASLSK games with my old friend, Mike Wattie, who is back in Taipei for a couple of weeks, and rather keen to learn how to use ordinance and vehicles in ASLSK. So far we have completed 3 games: S-29 ("No Monumental Acclaim"), S-27 ("Stand For New Zealand"), and S-21 ("Clash At Borisovka").

Game 1 (last week) S-29 ("No Monumental Acclaim").

To teach ordinance in ASLSK to someone who already has a decent grasp of the infantry rules, I think S-29 is the best place to start. The only ordinance is a pair of '44 bazookas, board W introduces hills, and I also feel that S-29 is a bit more balanced than the other scenarios offered in ASLSK#2 (which from my experiences seem to favoring the attacker a little more than I'd like them to). I've played this scenario before with David (see post #207 on this thread), so gave Mike the Germans with the German balance (+2 LMG). Mike (correctly) established an 'Alamo' defense of building p1, with scattered squads throughout the other multi-hex buildings to slow down the approach to the final assault. My American assault included lots of infantry smoke, and I moved at a good pace towards the main objective of p1. By picking the right time to overload the defenses, I got 1 747 into the 'Alamo building' (p1) on turn 5, but it was immediately killed in CC. Another got in turn 6, but it too suffered immediate death in CC. The failure to grab a toehold left me with a last-turn, suicide charge on turn 7, although still with a slim chance to win. But it wasn't to be, as my Americans were definitely having an off-day in CC. The one worthy note for me was that my first bazooka shot was a critical hit, so at least the ordinance was able to introduce itself to Mike with a little style.......

Game 2 (last weekend) S-27 ("Stand For New Zealand").

For Mike's first game with vehicles, he wanted to be the defender, with no more than a few uncomplicated vehicles. S-27 seems to fit the bill here, so Mike played the New Zealanders, and I got the Germans (I now realize that I intended to, but did not give Mike the balance, and I suspect that it had something to do with the fact that there was a BIG World Cup cricket match being played between New Zealand and Australia at the time that we were preparing to play). The Petrol Coy group of New Zealanders that set up on board v have quite a limited setup area; instinctively you want to reverse-slope, but the LOSs are just not conducive to that, and you end up with a pretty forward looking defense. But in spite of these obstacles, Mike's Kiwis could do little wrong, and I was not having a very good time with MCs, with my 8 morale Germans failing about 80% of the time. KG Ramcke failed to survive the first turn, so the board u elements of 10 Bde were able to quickly assist Petrol Coy into withdrawing back to board u. With the New Zealanders having a strong presence in building M9, the Germans were forced to flank the north side of the town (board u). But then the Vickers tanks arrived in a big way, with the first tank bounding firing six times - 5 ROF (1) shots (including 2 snake-eyes) !!! Worse yet, most of the damage was versus the would-be AT teams with MGs and ATRs, leaving the Vickers tanks virtually unopposed, and acting as street-sweeping guardians; there wasn't much my spent German force could do, and I had been effectively stuffed. At the end of German turn 7, I still hadn't captured even 1 multi-hex building, and it was beyond obvious that I wouldn't be able to capture all 7. It was almost as bad as getting bowled out for 151......... :stirthepot:

Game 3 (last 2 evenings) S-21 ("Clash At Borisovka").

Time for a tank battle. Tigers and T-34s, the stuff of legends. Mike took the balance-assisted Germans (upgrade 2 PzIVF2s to PzIVHs), and I took the Russians. The game started badly for me , with me losing a T-34 to a crisp 88L hit, and by the end of turn 2, I had lost 2 more, another 2 were immobilized (one by a failed Mechanical reliability DR), and I suffered 2 gun malfunctions as well. For all my heartache and sacrifices, I had only managed to (small) Stun a German PzIVF2, and it looked like I was about to suffer another whipping by Mike. But in turn 3, the fortune of the dices turned the game in my favor. Although I lose 1 more T-34, I knock out the stunned PzIVF2, and Mike malfunctions all 3 of his remaining 75L guns. The slow-traverse turrets of the Tigers then struggle to hit the T-34s swarming around them (with no supporting guns to keep the Russians in check), and before long, one of the Tigers falls to a flank shot, as does a PzIVH. I soon after lose 1 of my immobile tanks (which leaves me only 4 mobile, and 1 immobile tanks), and Mike repairs 1 of his 75L guns, only to malfunction it again on the very next shot !! Oh, the humanity......... By Russian turn 4, the score is 5 to 3 in the German favor, and my remaining 4 mobile tanks are looking to exit with 1 functioning 88L and 2 currently malfunctioned 75Ls opposing them. But the surviving immobile tank tries a tough LOS shot to the last Tiger, gets it, and kills it with a critical hit, while the impotent remaining PzIVs can only watch the Russians waltz past to win the game 8 to 5. Mike was pretty impressed at how rapidly things can change in a tank battle, and how important it is not to give up, even when things don't go so well at the start. Very good lessons to have under your belt for aspiring cardboard tank commanders everywhere......

John.

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Mike and I got 2 more ASLSK scenarios completed before he left. I thought we would mainly focus on ASLSK#2, so as to get familiar with ordinance. But Mike was ready and keen to learn about vehicles, so we instead ended up getting to grips with them instead. The last 2 completed scenarios were S-21 ("Clash At Borisovka") and S-23 ("Monty's Gamble").

Game 1 S-21 ("Clash At Borisovka").

On our second playing of this scenario, we switched sides (Mike with Russians, myself with Germans), and I gave Mike the (Russian) balance, which allows full movement on Russian turn 1. We both noticed that this rather sets up a very achievable TKO in 2 turns scenario, which I covered in a separate thread. You can find the AAR here : http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?121814-Playing-Chicken-with-the-Panzerwaffe-Clash-At-Borisovka-TKO-in-2

Game 2 S-23 ("Monty's Gamble").

I thought that the next assignment that Mike ought to be familiar with would be exiting AFVs through an area with HIP ATGs. S-23 is an ideal scenario for learning about the hidden gun threat, so I took the British, and Mike got the Germans and balance (add 7-0 leader). I put the ATGs in e8 and j10 (both CAs NE. The j10 position is ideal for ambushing AFVs hiding behind the i4 building, preparing to break out), and had infantry squads in e6, f2, h1, and k2. Mike approached briskly, and encountered k2 on his first turn. The 458 in k2 holds its position, and the Germans push south, and I find that I am a bit light infantry-wise on my south flank.

In German turn 3, the ATG in e8 gets swarmed by a 9-1 leader and 4 squads of German infantry. But the 6-pounder and its crew in e6 are utterly heroic, firing HE round after HE round. They break 3 squads, and the 9-1 leader. But a 467 squad remains (thanks to a little heroism of its own, brushing off 2 1MCs without pinning). For the moment, it looks like the Germans have at least achieved their immediate goal, albeit at an expensive cost. But in the CCPh, the gun crew survives and eliminates the 467, holding its position in the face of overwhelming odds. Mike's infantry recover a bit in turn 4, although the previously bypassed gun in j10 is able to ambush and eliminate the StuH 42, whilst both StuGIIIGs bolt for k3 and i2, staging for a last turn exit . There are still enough Germans left to win, but the problem for Mike is the fact that my British are pretty much intact and holding the initiative.

In my turn 4, I get to showcase a couple of ASL aspects to Mike. Firstly, the crew in e8 manhandle (6.5) the gun to d8 and then c8. From here, it can fire at vehicles exiting along the north flank. In the CCPh, the units in h1 pass their PAATC, and along with the 458 from k1, marry up in i2 to CC one of the StuGIIIGs (which Mike has wisely kept in motion). My first attack is a 458 and leader, but unfortunately, I roll too high. Mike then gets a chance to employ the sN in CC, which breaks all the British units (despite being halved to 8FP, for being in motion), keeping the anxious StuGIIIG alive for the time being.....

In Mike's turn 5, he does his best to exit as much as he can. The relocated gun is crisp enough to eliminate 1 StuGIIIG (the other escapes), and my infantry in e6 closes the road in e7, which is the only way out for the remaining Germans squads. In the end, the only Germans making it off are 1 leader and 1 StuGIIIG, the rest either broken or eliminated. A pretty good game, in which Mike had the misfortune to encounter a ROF-happy gun and crew. In reflection, Mike saw how he might have moved just a little quicker, and that not searching j10 turned out to be quite costly.

John.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Game 2 S-23 ("Monty's Gamble").

I thought that the next assignment that Mike ought to be familiar with would be exiting AFVs through an area with HIP ATGs. S-23 is an ideal scenario for learning about the hidden gun threat, so I took the British, and Mike got the Germans and balance (add 7-0 leader). I put the ATGs in e8 and j10 (both CAs NE. The j10 position is ideal for ambushing AFVs hiding behind the i4 building, preparing to break out), and had infantry squads in e6, f2, h1, and k2. Mike approached briskly, and encountered k2 on his first turn. The 458 in k2 holds its position, and the Germans push south, and I find that I am a bit light infantry-wise on my south flank.

In German turn 3, the ATG in e8 gets swarmed by a 9-1 leader and 4 squads of German infantry. But the 6-pounder and its crew in e6 are utterly heroic, firing HE round after HE round. They break 3 squads, and the 9-1 leader. But a 467 squad remains (thanks to a little heroism of its own, brushing off 2 1MCs without pinning). For the moment, it looks like the Germans have at least achieved their immediate goal, albeit at an expensive cost. But in the CCPh, the gun crew survives and eliminates the 467, holding its position in the face of overwhelming odds. Mike's infantry recover a bit in turn 4, although the previously bypassed gun in j10 is able to ambush and eliminate the StuH 42, whilst both StuGIIIGs bolt for k3 and i2, staging for a last turn exit . There are still enough Germans left to win, but the problem for Mike is the fact that my British are pretty much intact and holding the initiative.

In my turn 4, I get to showcase a couple of ASL aspects to Mike. Firstly, the crew in e8 manhandle (6.5) the gun to d8 and then c8. From here, it can fire at vehicles exiting along the north flank. In the CCPh, the units in h1 pass their PAATC, and along with the 458 from k1, marry up in i2 to CC one of the StuGIIIGs (which Mike has wisely kept in motion). My first attack is a 458 and leader, but unfortunately, I roll too high. Mike then gets a chance to employ the sN in CC, which breaks all the British units (despite being halved to 8FP, for being in motion), keeping the anxious StuGIIIG alive for the time being.....

In Mike's turn 5, he does his best to exit as much as he can. The relocated gun is crisp enough to eliminate 1 StuGIIIG (the other escapes), and my infantry in e6 closes the road in e7, which is the only way out for the remaining Germans squads. In the end, the only Germans making it off are 1 leader and 1 StuGIIIG, the rest either broken or eliminated. A pretty good game, in which Mike had the misfortune to encounter a ROF-happy gun and crew. In reflection, Mike saw how he might have moved just a little quicker, and that not searching j10 turned out to be quite costly.

John.
Nice Push with the ATG. Bet he wasn't expecting that.

On another point, I failed to find a specific ASLSK ordinance. ;)

However, the D3 Table in the ASLRB is clear wrt to the sN. It's FP is not halved if the vehicle is in Motion.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
However, the D3 Table in the ASLRB is clear wrt to the sN. It's FP is not halved if the vehicle is in Motion.
I must admit that I never bothered with the ASLRB (I do occasionally, when getting nowhere with the ASLSK rules). I got the halved FP from the 2.0 Definitions under Motion Fire. ASLSK can occasionally be a bit vague......

Something I am anxious to avoid is patronizing new players with "this is the rule, because I say it is, and I'm smarter and more experienced than you, so there!!". I instead try to take a more Chomsky-like approach and tell them "this is the rule, and here is where you can find it". The only problem being is that although I might well know the workings and location of a certain rule (c/- the ASLRB), it often takes me a while to find it in the ASLSK rule booklets!!!! :hmmm:

I guess that's what you're going to get when using 2 (near identical) sets of rules with different layouts.....

John.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I must admit that I never bothered with the ASLRB (I do occasionally, when getting nowhere with the ASLSK rules). I got the halved FP from the 2.0 Definitions under Motion Fire. ASLSK can occasionally be a bit vague......

Something I am anxious to avoid is patronizing new players with "this is the rule, because I say it is, and I'm smarter and more experienced than you, so there!!". I instead try to take a more Chomsky-like approach and tell them "this is the rule, and here is where you can find it". The only problem being is that although I might well know the workings and location of a certain rule (c/- the ASLRB), it often takes me a while to find it in the ASLSK rule booklets!!!! :hmmm:

I guess that's what you're going to get when using 2 (near identical) sets of rules with different layouts.....

John.
I encounter the same problem when trying to justify a rule to an ASLSK player. I prefer to cite something from the ASLSK rule set, not the ASLRB.

In the case of sN and Motion Fire, the ASLSK definition does work. Thanks for pointing it out. (I should have checked JRV's ASLSK Index first. If you don't have it, you can download it from his ROAR site, IIRC.)

According to Section 2.0, only MG/IFE firepower is halved when a vehicle is in Motion. So by extension, the IFT firepower of a sN is not. Crystal clear? No, but workable.

Reaction score
Country
ll
My long term asl comrade in arms, Nigel Pepper & myself are gradually working our way through all the Starter Kit scenarios and tonight will begin S26, Last Ally, Last Victory.
Our view is that all the scenarios thus far are amazing. All of them going right down to the wire and a pleasure to play. Can Pete Shelling and all the other designers give themselves a big pat on the back for doing such a good job.

Phil Ward

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
My long term asl comrade in arms, Nigel Pepper & myself are gradually working our way through all the Starter Kit scenarios and tonight will begin S26, Last Ally, Last Victory.
Our view is that all the scenarios thus far are amazing. All of them going right down to the wire and a pleasure to play. Can Pete Shelling and all the other designers give themselves a big pat on the back for doing such a good job.

Phil Ward
S-26 ("Last Ally, Last Victory") is an absolute cracker of a scenario.....

If you don't mind dealing with a few SSRs, you might also enjoy S-28 ("Out Of Luck"), which you can download for free here: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLSKOfficialDownloads/tabid/108/Default.aspx

John.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the AAR.

Have wanted to play this one with my wife for some time. The Extreme Winter SSR are intimidating. It also helps to have a winterized map. It really gets you into the mood, not that we need much of that at the moment here. It's been in the minus 20s for the better part of two weeks.

I will show her your AAR.

-cd
I've played this solo twice and the Germans have won both times. The best I've had is managing to get 1VP off the map. I really like this scenario but I'm struggling to understand how the Russians can win, but then I've been stacking to get leader movement bonus which I think is a mistake, probably going to have another crack at this scenario this week. Great fun!

Cheers, Al.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've played this solo twice and the Germans have won both times. The best I've had is managing to get 1VP off the map. I really like this scenario but I'm struggling to understand how the Russians can win, but then I've been stacking to get leader movement bonus which I think is a mistake, probably going to have another crack at this scenario this week. Great fun!

Cheers, Al.
A good mechanic is to work out how many turns it takes to get off the board with your troops and then work out half and quarter points in the turns to see where you need to be say by half way into the game.

Then it gives you an idea if you are ahead on track or behind allowing you to speed it up or take less risks with your movement. If you don't need the extra 2MF from the leader then don't stack. If you need to stack then try and draw fire from a lesser unit to rob the German's of the chance of getting the juicy target

Ian

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A good mechanic: move like a fury. But don't stack unless absolutely sure you aren't in LOS.

JR

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the much needed tips. I'm only just move beyond having to look up the rules for every move and thinking about tactics, but so far my solo defending sides are doing far better than when I attack. Not sure how much that is due to terrible tactics, or down to my knowing my attacking moves due to solo play.

But I do like this scenario, it really captured my imagination with the cool SSRs. I can see myself playing this a few more times, I'm not going to be able to rest until I've beaten the defenders.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the much needed tips. I'm only just move beyond having to look up the rules for every move and thinking about tactics, but so far my solo defending sides are doing far better than when I attack. Not sure how much that is due to terrible tactics, or down to my knowing my attacking moves due to solo play.

But I do like this scenario, it really captured my imagination with the cool SSRs. I can see myself playing this a few more times, I'm not going to be able to rest until I've beaten the defenders.
The best and fastest way to move forward in ASL/ASLSK is to find a knowledgeable opponent and play. Face-to-face used to be the only option, but VASL is now a reasonable way to get in games. You will learn much more much faster by playing someone else. If your opponents are any good they should be able to beat you many times, but that is expected because ASL is a very rich game.

JR

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm halfway through S21 clash at borisovka as my first training tank scenario. After spending hours this week over a couple of evenings struggling to even make an initia first move, constantly re-reading the rules and Jay's tutorial 5 (godsend) I finally got going ... and then it started to click and even make sense. I'm keeping it simple, sticking to AP rounds only for example, and I'm sure I'm making mistakes, but it is starting to make sense and more importantly flow. Only managed 2 turns of both sides, but it is speeding up - but it is great fun, a very different game than infantry and static guns.

Plan is to finish this game off, maybe play it a couple of times to try different tactics, and then start mixing in infantry and guns in with AFVs.

What an amazing system and game! And for me the starter kits very much my pathway to full ASL but I am really appreciated ting the approach MMP have taken publishing entire games in a box without any of the multi-module complexity of full ASL, you really do get a lot of value in the starter kits when you compare them even with other MMP products I have bought and enjoyed. Thank you Ken Dunn and MMP.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm halfway through S21 clash at borisovka as my first training tank scenario. After spending hours this week over a couple of evenings struggling to even make an initia first move, constantly re-reading the rules and Jay's tutorial 5 (godsend) I finally got going ... and then it started to click and even make sense. I'm keeping it simple, sticking to AP rounds only for example, and I'm sure I'm making mistakes, but it is starting to make sense and more importantly flow. Only managed 2 turns of both sides, but it is speeding up - but it is great fun, a very different game than infantry and static guns.

Plan is to finish this game off, maybe play it a couple of times to try different tactics, and then start mixing in infantry and guns in with AFVs.

What an amazing system and game! And for me the starter kits very much my pathway to full ASL but I am really appreciated ting the approach MMP have taken publishing entire games in a box without any of the multi-module complexity of full ASL, you really do get a lot of value in the starter kits when you compare them even with other MMP products I have bought and enjoyed. Thank you Ken Dunn and MMP.
Yep it's a great way of learning ASL. The move over to full ASL is not too painful either, not so much unlearning the rules as learning another layer.

Ian

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played S41 Sink's Encouragement from the bonus pack tonight, a small infantry only scenario with an opening barrage SSR. I rolled terribly on the barrage and then it went downhill from there! I also split my attacking forces and a chunk of them ended up being quite isolated and useless, the defending Germans easily won. I enjoyed the game though and I intend to give it another play tomorrow night with improved attacking tactics.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played S41 Sink's Encouragement from the bonus pack tonight, a small infantry only scenario with an opening barrage SSR. I rolled terribly on the barrage and then it went downhill from there! I also split my attacking forces and a chunk of them ended up being quite isolated and useless, the defending Germans easily won. I enjoyed the game though and I intend to give it another play tomorrow night with improved attacking tactics.
Second play through S41 Sink's Encouragement tonight. Much closer game, the game looked in the bag for Americans until the last turn. My opening barrage was more effective, I didn't divide my forces, I drew out defensive fire shots so I could move safely behind them for SFF, and even remembered to use smoke (plus finally rolled and got smoke!). It was looking pretty desperate for the Germans until ... I had a rush of blood, had a squad broken and then another with residual fire, and in my desperation to move in and finish off the defenders suddenly lost those squads through inability to route! Doh! I suppose that's how you learn.

The situation was tense but still just about recoverable. I had a tense leader on leader close combat where the Americans rolled and got ambush and then the American leader killed the German leader - result. I thought my luck was about to change when on the final German turn he self-rallied his sole squad rally, who then managed to move into a location I had no LOS on, and then advanced into a location to deny the Americans victory by 1 building!

Lots of lessons learnt here, again a tense battle with a great narrative and some unexpected twists and turns - and in a small low counter density game. I can't imagine yet how unpredictable larger scenarios or campaign games must be, can't wait to find out.

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Re: S-028 Out Of Luck

Hi All,

Yesterday, David and I played S-28 "Out Of Luck".

This is a German (7 AFV, 18 squads, 4 leaders) vs Russian (3 AFV, 1 ART gun, 11 squads, 2 leaders) scenario that takes place in the final days of WWII, and features Germans trying to cross boards v and q to exit 33 VP (as CVP in ASL) off uI10 and uQ10 (Infantry can exit off the adjacent hexes, too). The SSRs have it that (non-hill/road) OG, grain, and brush are marshy farmlands, and AFVs have to risk being immobilized upon entering those hexes (DR11+).

John.
Are road hexes exempt from the Immobilization DR? SSR 1 says "AFV must make a DR for each non-Hill Open Ground, Brush or Grain hex". Nothing about road hexes. Is there any errata for this scenario?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: S-028 Out Of Luck

Are road hexes exempt from the Immobilization DR? SSR 1 says "AFV must make a DR for each non-Hill Open Ground, Brush or Grain hex". Nothing about road hexes. Is there any errata for this scenario?
Good question.

Based on the scenario aftermath, I would expect movement across a road hexside to be exempt from the provisions of SSR1.