So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I'm sure there is a thread on recent playings but I did not feel like digging it up. Anyway, played the following scenarios so far this week:

Blue Danube-
This is one from Paul Kinneys Budapest pack and it was a real nailbiter as my buddy Bob's Hungarians tried to over to overcome the Russians defending a train station. This is a one board scenario with an RR overlay and a woods overlay. The Russians are defending with several squads and an ATG against an Hungarian force of Infantry and two SP guns. Great scenario!

Keckskemit Clash-
Another Scenario from Paul Kinneys Budapest pack with the Russians Attacking with 18 1st line squads, 10 T-34's and Air Support which enters on later in the game. This scenario also uses Board FE1, a country side board with a few rolling hills, a very cool looking board indeed. Here also, the Hungarians are defending with two 41M Turan II's, two Nimrods, two Pz IVH's and Two 80L AA Guns along with 8 elite and 8 1st line squads. The Russians need to take buildings but at the same time try to keep their losses down to a minimum just because the Russian Losses get added to the VP total. In are first playing, the Hungarians lost, but that was due to a bad set-up on my part. We are trying it again, and man, this is just alot of swirling melees going on, lots of death and destruction on both sides. Key things to remember in this scenario is that your 80L AA guns are heavy flak, so even though the Russian air support aint around, you can still fire at those Fighter Bombers in your prep fire phase. The Nimrod has that sturmgranit ammo for its MA, so dont forget about it when those russian tanks approach looking for an easy kill.

Meyham-
A Glenbo special from his ESG 3 pack. Another cool scenario where the Russian are defending and attacking to keep the Germans from gaining some buildings or taking the board 51 level four hill's. Fun but tough on the Russians I think due to having to deal with four different VC's IE, the Germans win by killing the Russian Armor or taking the level four hill hexes on board 51, or taking the stone buildings on board 40 or exiting AFV's and some squads off the board. Still, lots of fun.

So what have you played?

Scott

Last edited:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two scenarios Tuesday night.

First, Lennin's Sons - I had the Germans and my opponent (rusty from lack of play) conceeded after three or four turns. He might have still had a chance, but he had to go and felt that i was winning.

Then I replaced someone else and we restarted Commando Schenke (they had played two turns at the same time I was playing my first game). I took the Germans and blew through the defense. I was doing much better than the previous German player and at about midnight or a little after the Russian (a relatively new player) conceeded. I felt there still a long way to go, but a very enjoyable evening playing.

Tuesday game night was completely enjoyable. Now I have the new Le Franc Tireur in hand and VotG coming, so I'm looking forward to next week.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASide from playtesting my scenarios for various projects,
I've only played one scenario recently(last night...);
I played "War of the Rats" from SK#1.
It was a fun little scenario.
Since my opponent was a sort-of newbie(hey Scott!), I took
the Russians, who were defending.(the ROAR is ever so slightly
pro-German, but not enough to give the Russians the balance)
We had a good game, that was in flux until the first to the
last turn when the German's final push was KO'd by the
"ad hoc Shock platoon" re-inforcements.
Really reminded me of playing an SL scenario; in a good way!
co

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 5 scenarios at Winter Offensive last week.

1) RotR playtest scenario The Kindness of Strangers
2) RbF scenario Tempest at Tombe (weird little scenario, but I won :) )
3) Critical Hit scenario Across the Berezina (fun)
4) Annual/Beyond Valor scenario Commando Schenke
5) Kakazu Ridge scenario The Gorge (the ROAR for that possible dog didn't get any better, I can tell you) :)

The CH scenario (uncredited) was probably the best, other than my own of course. :)

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since New Years:

Pinching Patton
Morire in Belleza
The Bears of St. Denis

All good and worthy of playing.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Since the first of the year:

• They're Coming! D17 American Won
  • The Legrew Maneuver SP150 German Won
  • Miracle at Sinagoga RPT16 British Lost
  • Soldiers of the 62nd Army DB054 Russian Won
  • Another Tricky Day TOT33 British Lost
  • Counterstroke at Stonne A66 French Won
  • Khopka's Crossing VotG3 German Won
  • Indian Sacrifice NEWS14 German Lost
  • Before Nightfall STONNE1 French Lost
  • Lousy Crossroads HP 2 German Lost
  • Pavlov's House VotG14 Russian Lost
  • Playtest scenario
  • Playtest scenario
Keeping with a disturbing trend of losing more winning but I am having a ton of fun. -- jim

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played War of the Rats (Starter Kit S2) three times in the last three days.

The first time I played against Chris Olden, who posted above (Hey Chris!) and that was my first ASL(SK) game in about 18 years - it was a blast. I went home and immediately ordered the full rulebook and Beyond Valor. My favorite moment in the game was when I was about to attack with "Sgt. Olden" and Chris says "That's me..." and I said "Oh yeah, he has the same name" and then realized it was because the counter was named after Chris :)

Today I played the same scenario twice more against Dave Story (once as attacker and once as defender). Another great learning experience - both Chris and Dave were great teachers and very patient with my fumbling newbie-ness - thanks guys!

Playing the same scenario three times, against two different players, was a great way to start to figure out how the game works, and the great variety of options available. I got whupped severely each time, but learned something new (lots actually) in each game.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hey Scott,
You played a good game!
Looking forward to the next one.
Maybe try a couple more SK scenarios...then move
on to ASL.
"FIghting Withdrawl" is always good!
co

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played two games this year so far

RB7 The Red House
Lost as the Russian...nice Stalingrad night scenario

RPT17 Hetzer Hunters
Won as the American...fun to play, immediately action guaranted

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have had a nice start to the year in the fun category:

CH167 Warlord's Estate - Lost as Chinese (I set up too spread out; was shut down in my movement the first two turns by the Japanese FB; conceded the victory building too soon. Add to that, all against a very skilled opponent)
Stonne9 Shooting Gallery - Won as the Germans (a quick playing game that was very close on that gorgeous Stonne map)
CH151 Race For Freedom - Won as the Germans (the Germans must react quickly to pen the Polish cavalry hoarde)
Stonne1 Before Nightfall - Won as the Germans (Another good game with the blazing buildings causing some additional tactical challenges -- especially for the French)
SP141 Broken Beek - Won as Americans (intersting VCs - as the American must, as The Clah would sing "Should I Stay or Should I Go?")

Looking forward to many more games!

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Playing PK's The Highest Value from his Budapest pack. We stopped on turn 5 and will continue on today. another very fun scenario with the Germans attacking with 21 squads along with a few tanks including a captured T-34M43, a Pz Jg38 and two StugIIIG's. The Russians have 18 squads, good SW allotment and four T34M43's and one SU-100.

So far it is touch and go just because both of us are down to one tank left, me with a T-34 and Bob with a Stug IIIG. I think I am about to lose mt T-34 this turn just because there are a few German Squads within one hex of my lone T-34 and I'm sure they are ready to pounce with PF shots.

The funniest and perhaps saddest part of the scenario was when Bob put an op fire counter on one of his guys in a building one hex away from the SU-100, that way he would not suffer backblast penalties when he made the attempt to PF the SU-100. At the same time, he managed to get a squad adjacent to the SU-100, I fire but depleated my HE Ammo, SU-100 has an HE 7 and I rolled an 8. <bummer>

Bob then looks for a PF, a six, pinned, Bob looks for another one, six, squad breaks! So The Germans had to do it the old fashioned way, go into CC. Bob rolls a five on the ATMM check, but was still able to take out the SU-100! The dead tank is in ZM4.

Heres a link:

An awesome scenario indeed!

Scott

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Scott you should try reading your own post! I'm scrolling back and forth like a yo-yo. :clown:

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the 1st,

Playtest DftB Commandos Hold Fast [as British won, as Germans won]
WaR13 Aus Der Traum [as US won]
MP11 Vulcans Forge [as Germans won]
J111 Prussian in Flames [as Germans won]
KE4 Panzers to the Rescue [as Russians won]
Playtest new project [ongoing vs Chas A]
" " " [ongoing vs Dave C]
Currently doing MP 11 again [vs Carl Nogueira this time].

All of these scenarios are worthwhile, the game with Carl has had some memorable moments. On turn 1, Mr Nogueira thought to share some demolition supplies with my troops in HtH melee. However, I think his 'engineers' were actually failed suicide bombers, they rubbled their bldg on top of themselves. :laugh: Funny as he\\, he took it like a man. Great game, great opponent.

Now I gotta get into ROAR and post these...

B-

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Mark,

May I ask what "RotR" stands for? (Its one of your own I guess.)
Ruins of the Reich, which will be a Schwerpunkt Rally Point pack. The theme is that all scenarios are sent in the last few days of the war in Europe, in May 194.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the 1st,

Playtest DftB Commandos Hold Fast [as British won, as Germans won]
WaR13 Aus Der Traum [as US won]
MP11 Vulcans Forge [as Germans won]
J111 Prussian in Flames [as Germans won]
KE4 Panzers to the Rescue [as Russians won]
Playtest new project [ongoing vs Chas A]
" " " [ongoing vs Dave C]
Currently doing MP 11 again [vs Carl Nogueira this time].

All of these scenarios are worthwhile, the game with Carl has had some memorable moments. On turn 1, Mr Nogueira thought to share some demolition supplies with my troops in HtH melee. However, I think his 'engineers' were actually failed suicide bombers, they rubbled their bldg on top of themselves. :laugh: Funny as he\\, he took it like a man. Great game, great opponent.

Now I gotta get into ROAR and post these...

B-
A German victory in 'Vulcan's Forge'?? Well done! Great scenario, but I don't think I've seen the Germans pull out a win in a number of exposures. Any good stories from that??

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A German victory in 'Vulcan's Forge'?? Well done! Great scenario, but I don't think I've seen the Germans pull out a win in a number of exposures. Any good stories from that??
A CH by Steve A. with his first MOL-P shot on Jim's 150 SP gun was a highlight, then later, Jim captured that same weapon and despite it's +4 TH DRM was able to return the favor by burning a Soviet tank with it. We were watching the Pats crush some hapless team so was slightly distracted. The Russians were very laid back, more interested in chili, bratwursts and other refreshments.

I had some Germans in the factory [big one up top] to stall him, brought more up to make an appearrance of hostility and he brought considerable reins up there. I bailed and backed out, forming a line to protect my rear VC bldgs, which he never tried to attack. I sent most of my assault troops to the bridge to contest the Sov advance there. Meanwhile, Jim Dostie, a guy I've played ASL/SL with since it came out, had the southern Germ force and made good the loss of those VC hexes in that big factory up top by pushing through several VC bldgs at the bottom of the map. Easier than it should have been, but this happens with teamplayings with football on the tube...

B-