So what scenarios have you played Recently?

simon131

Reaction score
Country
ll
These are made by Mario Aceto from Italy. A very nice guy by the way.
Another of the countless examples that testify the excellence of Italians in handicraft.

von Marwitz
These are made by Mario Aceto from Italy. A very nice guy by the way.
Another of the countless examples that testify the excellence of Italians in handicraft.

von Marwitz
I agree, Mario is very helpful at working on any specific design you have in mind. He produced a couple for our recent UK Bounding Fire Blackpool tournament, quality is very high

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Very nice indeed.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a couple of those bad boys built and shipped across the pond.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What a Great Time Albany Was...

Always fun traveling to tourneys with Ted. Makes the time fly and he made incredible time. All smooth sailing

What Great Opponents...

Factories & Rails scenario. Always fun playing Ginnard. Bids gave me the attacking Russians with extra squad and a half. It did not help. The first four turns found the Russians beating their heads against Dave's stout defense: heaps of wire, crafty gun positions & mines too, for two and a half buildings. We had a lot of laughs but I finally failed my PMC when faced with Axis reinforcements that included flame halftrack

FT 310 Back to the River. Steve Johns is a riot to play. We had a blast with this one. He was willing to take the defending Germans. It went right down to the final movement phase as my Americans rushed for the exits. They just barely made it through. SOB got a hero that truly stuffed a quicker Amis victory. We really liked it, would definitely play it again

ECZ 11 Blood and Brine. It is always fun when Phil Draper drops out of the sky and across the table. I really failed to Grock the bids on this one. Had a blast playing it but my Germans failed miserably vs Canadian Alamo SSR hotel: because I can't bid. But then again, I failed to get even one of the VC locations and like negative 2 CVP when I tossed in the towel. It is always a good time hanging out with Phil

DB 30 Contaro On the Flank. I can't believe I let Charlie talk me into playing the Italians. We had a blast for sure but my poor Italians could not pass a moral check. Even with the ELR 3 I had few troops left for an effective final assault. It is always tough being the Italians

ASL 272 (update of) The Art of Dying. I got the Russians. Bruce Stevens got the Italians. I really love that pack and have played many of the scenarios more than once. We had a blast. But, it is tough being the Italians. As it was getting late and the Italians had not made much headway and failed to interdict Russian reinforcements, he conceded. Still a fun scenario. Look forward to playing Bruce again

Great Event

Joe and Steve put on a top notch show

The Gary tribute was so nice. The piper was a nice touch. As was the photo of Gary smiling, with that twinkle in his eye, at the ASL table. I was glad so many people spoke up and told great Gary stories. He will be sorely missed

The Greatest Raffle. I got two LFT packs and a MMP pack

Me & Ted were saying on the ride home, what a great time we had and how we must return next year for the Big 20th Anniversary!

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished CH33 - At the Point, I played the Russians.

I spread my units a bit too far with the SSR given and paid for it. I changed one of my leaders into a Commissar and he was busy shooting his own guys - he didn't rally at least one guy during the whole guy. Lovely. Anyway I tried to catch up with my mistakes during Setup but I rolled seven boxcars and in turn 3 and 4. Four of those boxcars were brutal: during RPh while trying to rally a HS, during PFPh while firing one of my Tanks MA, the other two were shots with my LMG and MMG. Even worse, I rolled two 6's when I tried to repair my MGs. Russian crap as my opponent used to say. ;-) At least I got my MA back!

Anyway what made me lose was my mistake during Setup I think. Too far spread and too far ahead. Lesson learned.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We played AP57 - Kleckerweise live via VASL on the weekend. I played the French.

My plan was to run to the hill(s ;-) ) as fast as I can and only left a few squads behind to defend my buildings. My opponent placed his AT Guns HIP just a few hexes apart from each other and I drove all my tanks close to them - 2-6 hexes away. I can only imagine the struggle trying not to smile. Once his DFPh came up he started shooting and I've lost more than half of my tanks in the first two rounds. The Guns kept rate for so long each time they fired, only his TK rolls stopped him from not taking more tanks out in such a short period of time. Ugh!

My squads kept running and I was lucky that he placed the few squads he had too far ahead and too far spread out. I got a hero and took his LMG in turn 2 and managed to get rid of almost all his squads by the end of turn 3. His reinforcements arrived and I would be able to reach and take control of the hill in turn 4 so he had to get on those hills. He now saw the mistake he made during setup. His tanks came on board with 4MP already spent and that meant they were not able to reach the hill with the MP left. Unless... ESB. He had four tanks that could make it. He immobilized the first trying ESB, then the second, then the third. Drumroll for the last tank but the dice said no.

That was fast.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We played AP57 - Kleckerweise live via VASL on the weekend. I played the French.

My plan was to run to the hill(s ;-) ) as fast as I can and only left a few squads behind to defend my buildings. My opponent placed his AT Guns HIP just a few hexes apart from each other and I drove all my tanks close to them - 2-6 hexes away. I can only imagine the struggle trying not to smile. Once his DFPh came up he started shooting and I've lost more than half of my tanks in the first two rounds. The Guns kept rate for so long each time they fired, only his TK rolls stopped him from not taking more tanks out in such a short period of time. Ugh!

My squads kept running and I was lucky that he placed the few squads he had too far ahead and too far spread out. I got a hero and took his LMG in turn 2 and managed to get rid of almost all his squads by the end of turn 3. His reinforcements arrived and I would be able to reach and take control of the hill in turn 4 so he had to get on those hills. He now saw the mistake he made during setup. His tanks came on board with 4MP already spent and that meant they were not able to reach the hill with the MP left. Unless... ESB. He had four tanks that could make it. He immobilized the first trying ESB, then the second, then the third. Drumroll for the last tank but the dice said no.

That was fast.
This ranks among my favorite scenarios.

Looking it up in the ASL Scenario Archive, I have played it twice - once in 2011 and once in 2012. I still remember the first playing especially and seemed to recall that I wrote an AAR on it. If so, I cannot find it in GS-Forum, though.

von Marwitz

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Played A63 Action at Balberkamp as the Germans against Chuck Payne's stout Norwegians and their British allies. Neither of us had the reissued version, but I believe there's been no updates to the original. This is one of those old "wow this is a really long scenario (12.5 turns)", but it plays faster than you'd think. It recalls the days of the somewhat leisurely development of axes of attack, recovery from stupid blunders, and having enough units where the loss of a few "key" units won't be devastating. E.g., party like it's 1993. This is like having two interconnected scenarios across 5 boards, including old favorites such at chateau board 6. I came on strong on the German right, favoring the road that I'd have to keep clear of interdicting nordic men. He executed a classic fall back defense to the village board where he had his MMG and HMG in the two large buildings to the German left flank - these would prove to be a real bottle-stopper and got into the head of the Germans. Suffice it to say that the Norwegians held out long past when they should have been dispatched and/or captured. The Brits were delayed by afternoon tea. When they finally arrived three turns after the German reinforcements, but fortified with Earl Grey and cucumber sandwiches, they skillfully splayed out to good strategic positions on the grounds of the chateau. The Germans were a bit late in deploying for their push across the final board - they had three main avenues of attack they could choose. They played their cards near to their vest, so near in fact that their owner wasn't even sure what they intended. To make a long story short, the Germans had just a few too few bodies available for the push and got stuffed in the first three-to-four rows of board 6. Too many Germans were needed to take and protect the village board from the remaining Norwegians that the available forces to the north were insufficient. In fact, one Norwegian squad slipped through the German backfield and the German army's reaction foretold the Royal Navy's chase of the Bismarck a year later. Anyway, this scenario was a blast and I'm so glad we played it. When you feel that new scenario pickings are a bit light, it pays to revisit some of the oldies but goodies. VASL certainly helps, where you can play it in 2 or 3 sittings as Chuck and I did.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This ranks among my favorite scenarios.

Looking it up in the ASL Scenario Archive, I have played it twice - once in 2011 and once in 2012. I still remember the first playing especially and seemed to recall that I wrote an AAR on it. If so, I cannot find it in GS-Forum, though.

von Marwitz
Yes, still remember play of that scenario even from the days I was able to play 60-70 games a year. Perhaps the Waffle-Stomping (that's when one gets beaten so badly that the winner does a victory dance on you and makes your face look like a waffle from the soles of his boots/shoes) I took from my opponent made such an impression that it is hard to forget. 😓:LOL:
Irregardless, it was still one of my ATFs.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We've played AP-37 Apples to Apples on friday night. I played as the Americans and I have no idea how to use Trucks. I've lost the game fast and brutal. By the end of turn 3 I had lost eleven out of my fifteen vehicles while I only did very little damage to my opponent. I missed so many shots by one - I hate Mist ;-). There was no way I could get those 100VP I needed to win the game so I gave up right there.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From late November, I played Heights of Hubris as the Germans. I set up Germans for some Prep fire on turn one; a waste. Conceded after too many casualties after turn three.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP187 Home by Christmas

Korea, November 1950. The GI's still think they will be home by Christmas, but the Chinese have other plans. When the CPVA 38th Army attacks, it is up to the 1st Cav to clear a road for the retreat. The GI's attack the length of board 81/80 in this scenario, with various VC's to ponder, including clearing roadblocks, keeping the Chinese off the valley road and hex rows, and advancing far enough to gain VP for being present in certain hex rows themselves.
Mines complicate the matter, and the Steep Hills and Ground Snow make this a trek.
In our playing the GI's were not up to the task. Chinese fire in the hills was effective ( a lot of low FP shots though ) and after immediately running into mines, and clearing them only to run into another mine, the roadblocks were never reached ( clearing them being the biggest source of VP ). So when turn 7 ended, it was a decisive Chinese win.
Nonetheless, we were extremely pleased with the scenario. A great intro to the Chinese on defense, the terrain just seemed so Korea, and the SSR of the Steep Hills forced us to use those rules as well. A learning effort which is prompting us to play more Korea action. Coupled with the recent play aid article in Dispatches, play went very smoothly. Schwerpunkt also has put out a Chinese play aid. With more KASL coming in the new Journal, it would seem we'll be able to continue a string of scenarios in this theater. Looking forward to that.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Played S22 Bamboo Spear Banzai from HASL 11 - Sword & Fire: Manila by PBEM with Vic R.

We played 3 scenarios from Manilla before this one and they were quite good.
In this one a very weak Japanese force (mostly 336 without Hip) must try to survive against a powerful US force (2 shermans, 9-2, FT..). The US win by accumulating 18 CVP without losing 16 cvp.
I have lost with the Japanese on turn 3 without inflicting a single CVP to the US.
I have 0 idea of how the Japanese can win this one against a competent US player as Vic.
Any idea ?
Currently 0-3 on ROAR.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP187 Home by Christmas

Korea, November 1950. The GI's still think they will be home by Christmas, but the Chinese have other plans. When the CPVA 38th Army attacks, it is up to the 1st Cav to clear a road for the retreat. The GI's attack the length of board 81/80 in this scenario, with various VC's to ponder, including clearing roadblocks, keeping the Chinese off the valley road and hex rows, and advancing far enough to gain VP for being present in certain hex rows themselves.
Mines complicate the matter, and the Steep Hills and Ground Snow make this a trek.
In our playing the GI's were not up to the task. Chinese fire in the hills was effective ( a lot of low FP shots though ) and after immediately running into mines, and clearing them only to run into another mine, the roadblocks were never reached ( clearing them being the biggest source of VP ). So when turn 7 ended, it was a decisive Chinese win.
Nonetheless, we were extremely pleased with the scenario. A great intro to the Chinese on defense, the terrain just seemed so Korea, and the SSR of the Steep Hills forced us to use those rules as well. A learning effort which is prompting us to play more Korea action. Coupled with the recent play aid article in Dispatches, play went very smoothly. Schwerpunkt also has put out a Chinese play aid. With more KASL coming in the new Journal, it would seem we'll be able to continue a string of scenarios in this theater. Looking forward to that.
Thank you for the quick AAR Steve - and I'm glad you liked it. I know that the 'steep hill slog' is not everyone's dice glass (are these the same players who will clamber one hex per MPh over endless rubble and debris to assault the Barrikady one more time?) but with 16 scenarios in the pack, I was determined to provide the opportunity for ASL players to stretch their comfort zones a bit (as well as stretching my own). Some find the VCs for this one a bit clunky, but I think it well reflects the nature of the fighting and the need to clear not just the road, but the heights above as well. Americans need to focus, Chinese need to pew! pew! away every chance they get.

And yes there is more KW ASL coming. (I love it.)

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished AP170 Never On Time as the defending Brits against Rich Domovic’s attacking Germans. VCs are: Germans need more VPs than Brits with 12 wooden (1VP ea.) + 2 stone buildings available (3VP ea.). Plus, each side is awarded 1VP for each AFV eliminated/immob./recalled. Six turns with a great mix of assets for both sides.

Early

I set up the Brits out of the line of fire. Later, we both agreed the Brits could be in a woeful spot if the first turn went poorly by setting up in the line of fire. The Germans advanced forward and 3 x PzIVs pressed the British left flank. One malfed its MA (later repaired). We traded a couple squads in the first few turns, with the Brit’s right flank holding firm – benefiting from the bocage. However, the Germans had managed to capture the two stone buildings on the rail line and one PzIV nestled behind them. As midgame approached, British turn 2 reinforcements had started to arrive in the village with the turn 3 group close behind. These reinforcements meant business with, in total, 5 x tanks, 8 x squads, hardware and notably a 10-2.

Mid-game

The Germans repositioned their other two tanks to the village. This opened up the opportunity for three Shermans to position and pound the two railway buildings – out of LOS to the PzIV. The Brits reinforcements were positioning for a counterattack on these stone buildings while the tanks built up acquisition. The panzers got more aggressive to make something happen in the village, but the Brits were extrememy fortunate to KO one with a PIAT and, with Shermans, the other two. Funny though, all three crews survived. One would re-crew its tank only to be flamed by the Firefly.

In the end, the right half of the village was getting a bit wobbly for the Brits as we traded losses. Meanwhile, the Shermans and reinforcement infantry firepower wore down the stone building occupants. I was able to win one back and the other was reduced to a pinned 8-1 (with a broken 9-1, 2x348 soon to be eliminated for FTR). At that point, the Brits had ample bodies for CC against the remaining railway building. Plus, most of the attackers were on the other side of the village and I could position units in the advance phase to block them from gaining enough buildings to swing the VP count. As it stood, I would hold ~12 VP. In light of the situation, the Germans received the order to abandon the assault.

Final Positions

We both though it a very fun scenario where both sides get to attack. Strong OBs for both sides and an inherent tenseness of having to work the clock to get units to the fight as quickly as possible. A good points-driven VC means you always have to be situationally aware of where you stand at any given moment. We both highly recommend this scenario. Thanks to Rich for yet another great and challenging game!

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played #14 Silence That Gun as the Germans. I think the modifications from the original turn this from a pro-German scenario to a pro-American one. I didn't mind the cut of two crappy 436 squads, but beefing up the US leaders makes them impossible to stop. Tried to position the ATG in a spot to manhandle it out of the line of fire but that damn 9-2 with two MMGs made that impossible. Then they just proceeded to chew up all the Germans with their low ELR. The bazookas even got in on the killing. Like the US needed 4 bazookas too?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played #14 Silence That Gun as the Germans. I think the modifications from the original turn this from a pro-German scenario to a pro-American one. I didn't mind the cut of two crappy 436 squads, but beefing up the US leaders makes them impossible to stop. Tried to position the ATG in a spot to manhandle it out of the line of fire but that damn 9-2 with two MMGs made that impossible. Then they just proceeded to chew up all the Germans with their low ELR. The bazookas even got in on the killing. Like the US needed 4 bazookas too?
I played it once and rolled snakeyes with my first Baz shot to destroy the gun for the win, didn’t feel like a real win but ya know.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played it once as the Americans. Tried placing WP on the upper level of a building and it came down on top of my squad.
The MC generated "Heat of Battle" = Beserk!.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played it once and rolled snakeyes with my first Baz shot to destroy the gun for the win, didn’t feel like a real win but ya know.
I don't own the original, but that might be one of the 'fixes' to the updated scenario. SSR 3 makes the German ATG impervious to elimination by Bazookas via CH. Made of special steel!