So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished FT268 Spain’s Crusader’s as the 1941 Eastern Front Spanish against Paul Lauger’s Russians in this all-infantry 5-turn smash-up on board 3. The VCs are: Russian wins if they earn more VP than the Spanish. 1 VP awarded for each building controlled on/between hexrows L – Y. Completely rubbled/ablaze buildings yield no VP.

There is an overlapping setup area in the village center (The Circle) where the sides can set up a subset of their OB MMCs: Spanish set up first and move first. The downside to moving first in this scenario is the Russians move last. That means most every available Russian unit will be moving to take back buildings in the final turn.

Prior to start, each side place some rubble and shellholes and the Spanish get a blaze (with a mild breeze blowing to a randomly determined direction after both setups are complete). The blaze and smoke played a huge role in our game.

Each of us rubbled buildings in each other’s rear to deny each other VPs. I placed the blaze in the woods to help protect the buildings I possessed at-start in The Circle. I also figure the blaze/smoke could help my attack since I started with fewer buildings at the start. I set up with the 9-2/468/MMG to rip the Russians set up in the circle. Unfortunately, the smoke direction was unfavorable and drifted over the defenders – and the MMG did almost nothing all game.

Setup

With blaze sending the drifting smoke over the defenders most IFT shots were a no-impact proposition, either +4/5 IFT mods. I was forced to close in CC which lacked any robust success for me all game – even with my 9-2. The Russians had a slight numerical edge that had me 1:1 or slightly behind the raw CC odds. My height of mid-game success was picking up three buildings at the loss of none.

Midgame (end of turn 4)

I was sitting on a ~10-9 VP margin at this point. However, I lost my 9-2 (now wounded to an 8-1) on a 1-1 CC losing that building and another lost on a mutual 1-1 CC that emptied yet another (and would be occupied in the upcoming Russian player turn.

Fortunately, a 248’s 2+1 pot shot broke the 447/LMG holding the lower left building opening it up to be entered for CC on Igor, the surviving 8-0 which died unenthusiastically in CC for the Motherland. In the final half turn the Russian bum rush was on. No less than FOUR CX MMCs from across the board rushed this single building with one MMC breaking, two pinning, and one surviving, due in part to at least two FPF shots. The ensuing AdvFire 12+2 broke the 248 by a single pip.

As it turned out, a building in The Circle held by the Russian lit up to a blaze removing one VP for the Russian. Had the 248 not broken (and subsequently could have avoided elimination against the CX 447 in CC), the Spanish would have won with a 9-9 VP score. It can’t get much tighter than that!

Final Positions

Final thoughts
A very fun scenario for all these reasons:
  • Simple all-infantry OB
  • Both attack/counterattack
  • Overall, both sides felt they were an inch/centimeter from losing
  • Good replayability – blaze can make it really unpredictable
  • Playable in a sitting
  • Felt very balanced, though we agreed it could be swingy – however you know that going in
  • Went to final turn AdvFire/CC phases
  • Most importantly, super fun
We had a great time with this scenario. Very recommended by both Paul and me. Thanks to Paul for a fun, well-played game!

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
FT 320 Osasto Bjorkman..... Interesting and fun scenario that I failed miserably at! Lost 2 of my 3 Russian leaders by the end of my T2a (6a); one to a sniper and the other to an improbable CC result. My 4:1 attack failed with an 11, and his 1:2 whacked me with a 3. 12 remaining squads was just too much for one leader to handle, especially when trying to root 8M Finns out of stone buildings. I wonder if this is why I considered it as tough on the Russians. Ivan has the AFVs to spare a couple in risky VBM freezes, but leader losses not withstanding, I fail to see what plan Ivan should have for this attack. Especially, barring woods/trailbreak-busting, there is only one road that initially leads into the VC/VP area. There are a couple Bypass routes right near it, but it still boils down to a 3-4 hexwide gauntlet to bust through. I played through as is my way, but only ended with 6VP (1 stone bldg Location and 5 Lvl2 hill hexes); 16 VP were needed.

So, this weekend's ASL project is subjecting this to a solo-examination. AFVs with Riders racing for the hills? A Human Wave on T2/T3? Some of my most productive ASL is these solo breakdowns of "what went wrong and why", that is if/when I am able to figure it out! Fun scenario, but a tough nut for me to crack personally.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my last FtF game with my long-time buddy, Curtis Brooks, this last Monday (at least for the foreseeable future). He's moving out of state at the end of the month & unless we get together at a tournament or some other remote opportunity, I will really miss going head-to-head with him as we have almost weekly for the past decade plus. We played A70 WINTERGEWITTER (ASL Annual 95w) as neither of us had played this one for a long time and never against each other. As always it was a hard-fought engagement and lived up to our assessment as an ATF for each of us despite being a very short and usually dicey affair. This playing was no different as the turning point came after my AL directed Mk-IV went on a ROF tear (5 shots with a ROF of 1) destroying a T-34 and smashing up some infantry. Laughingly in the next fire phase he would malf. his MA on his 1st shot! In the end with two T-34's out of action and his infantry pushed from the VC area the Russian drifted back into the hinterland giving my Germans control of the village. I felt a bit of remorse sending Curtis off in such a fashion (I got over it quickly ;)) but wish him all the best in his new location and with a new parish. Another great game with a great buddy-more excellent memories for the future.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
S2 War of the Rats
Played solo. I spent too long not playing and had to re-learn a lot, so I thought I'd play through some SK scenarios to get back into the hang of it. I used full ASL rules, which doubtless unbalanced things (especially with concealment) but I wouldn't be a good enough player for that to make a difference.
The Russians left a gap in their coverage of the left flank which was instantly exploited by the Germans, The flank quickly crumbled with the Germans moving quickly left-to right towards the big factory. By the last turn the Germans had moved adjacent to the garrison of the O building, which consist entirely of broken squads, some having escaped from the large factory. The German advanced in and took up residence. Game over. With everyone under DM, the last Russian rally phase was a forlorn hope.

A very enjoyable scenario and a real-nail-biter. The Germans can make great headway but it's always possible that the Russians might hang on by their fingernails to deny the win.

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
S3 Simple Equation
Solo again with full rules. The German fortified buildings were upfront, so the US put a base of fire to take care of that, and tasked a flank force to move down the right. Time was wasted on ineffective prep fires from the woods, while fire against the fortified buildings made no headway, the Germans rolling low again and again on MCs. Finally the US went for it and crossed the open ground, getting a couple of small footholds ad an acceptable cost in broken units. The German frontal forces finally caved in on moves 5-6 along with the right flank, and the US racked up 28 (of 25 required) controlled hexes by the end of Turn 7.
One unusual (in my experience) aspect of this scenario was the large amount of prisoners taken; effectively just over half the defenders.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Yesterday I finnished a VASLeague game of WO18 A Quick Strike against Kalle Widell of Sweden.

I played the Japanese, and managed to get together a semi competent Setup - the Pillboxes, tunnels and trenches are the key here. What I did not manage was to time my use of the tunnels properly - I abandoned one of the pillboxes too late - or actually there was no-one left to abandon that pillbox… that opened the Center of the board for exit and even tough I managed to hang out until the last American move Kalle claimed the US win.

Even tough the scenario card does not look that exiting this one actually is very nice back to the basics PTO offering. Our game was a tense hard fought affair.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished ASL 126 Commando Schenke live via VASL on Friday night.

I played as the germans and made it to the fortified building 1X4 fast but it took me longer than I hoped to to get in. It didn't help that one of my FTs was out since early in the game. It was the first time I used it when I rolled an 11. Once inside the building I had to hurry, my opponent managed to slow me down so much that it all came down to the very last die roll in CC to decide who wins the game. Good game!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We finished ASL 126 Commando Schenke live via VASL on Friday night.

I played as the germans and made it to the fortified building 1X4 fast but it took me longer than I hoped to to get in. It didn't help that one of my FTs was out since early in the game. It was the first time I used it when I rolled an 11. Once inside the building I had to hurry, my opponent managed to slow me down so much that it all came down to the very last die roll in CC to decide who wins the game. Good game!
Which side won?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A quick write up on FT308 Luchs on the Lookout against my pal Curtis Brooks. One unique aspect of this small village scrap is 5 x PZII Luchs – an AFV that gets little exposure due to its fairly light production numbers (100). VCs are Germans needed to capture ≥2 of 4 stone buildings. Russians win immediately if they eliminate ≥21 CVP.

The first three turns were a bit of a dance with the Germans positioning to set up their final push. To this point, each side lost a half squad in CC. They would spring their assualt in turn 4.

Status after Turn 3

In turn 4 the Russians had laid down a curtain of residual so the infantry struggled to close. The Russians held strong against the armor with a BA-6 knocking out one Luchs. It malfed on its next shot on an IF. Another Luchs tried to tie up a key VC strongpoint (F4) driving into it and rang up double sixes to acquire permanent cellar dweller status. The halftrack penetrated into the village after the 45L malfed, but the other BA-6 in E4 zeroed it and knocked it out along with its crew+247 passenger. In the bottom of turn 4, the same BA-6 BFFed on a Luchs in bypass of building I5 eliminating it. At this point the Germans losses exceeded the CVP cap for the Russian win.

End Game

Final Thoughts
Super fun and a great choice for a weeknight game or a tourney choice when time is tight. Though the Germans hit the cap, it was very tight and we both agreed it could go either way. Currently 9-8 on ROAR in favor of the Russians. Thanks to Curtis for a fun and yet another tight game.

Last edited:

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished scenario 77 Le Hérisson over the weekend, live via VASL. I played and won as the french as my opponent conceded in the MPh in his half of turn 7. It was a bloody game, I took out four squads in the first two rounds and he took out my 9-1 and a squad with the HMG with one of his tanks in turn 2.

I placed my HIP squad right at the frontline along with an LMG and when a stack of two squads and a leader showed up right before him I had a devastating 12-2 which broke them all in turn 1. At first I didn't really like the idea of having him right at the frontline but the position was good for a trap and it worked out. He was the only one having LOS to the hexes that the stack came running through.

From that on I didn't really risk anything and tried to play as safe as possible and managed to slow him down a lot.

I turn 7 my opponent had only four out of the eleven multi-hex buildings needed to win the game. The MPh of turn 7 was as bloody as the first two turns. The french hit everything that moved and I managed to break almost everything that I shot at. Snakes on a 2-2 managed to take out his 10-2 and break the squad going with him, that's when my opponent conceded.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played SF9 'First do no Harm' with Ron Duenskie today. It's a massive Manila scenario with twenty squads on each side and 9 turns. My IJA defenders started with only 12 squads and 3 guns on a 30-hex front. I had to keep roughly half of the hexes of three large Board 6 stone buildings (Rizal Hall, the hospital and the science building) in my control vs 14 667 with three tanks in support. 5 points of CVP counted as one hex controlled too, so both sides need to be careful to preserve their troops. The US also has three MG halftracks which each yield a .50cal/MMG/BAZ45. Both sides get significant reinforcements. The IJA gets 6 squads and two towed guns plus a US MG halftrack JT3 while the US gets 6 squads plus a FT Sherman and an AC UST4.
While the troops on both sides are well equipped, the long front line and plethora of shellholes and palm trees presents challenges in terms of concentration for both sides. I more or less gave up the science building while defending the building closest to where my reinforcements would enter (Rizal hall) very heavily. Ron saw that and concentrated on taking the science building and then using that as a springboard to the hospital in the center. Ron dismounted the heavy firepower from the HT's but then had so many heavy MG's that it made it tough to move forward quickly (the US starts with only 4 leaders for 16.5 SE's (counting the HT crews). My SAN of 6 was pretty disappointing most of the game, but Ron's dice were stone cold for the first three turns.

The at-start rain was huge, as it intensified the first player turn to make most shots vs stone buildings worthless. I was able to use the rain cover to reposition my defenders to the central building, plus the rain gave me the chance to enter my reinforcements and brave Ron's .50 cal firelane, which he had positioned to interdict them before it promptly malfunctioned. This was important as my guns were then able to protect the backside of the building and my infantry firepower (including an IJA FT and several DC) kept pushing Ron back out of the fringe hospital hexes. The rain stopped midgame (which prompted lots of SMOKE from both sides) and changed direction as well, placing drifting smoke over most of Ron's tank and MG support. The game was tight with roughly even losses until my sniper picked off Ron's 9-2 and collapsed the US battle line late in the game.

I think this is pretty evenly balanced, but it feels very like a challenging scenario for both sides. It's tough on the IJA to defend such a wide front against such massive firepower, while the US needs to concentrate to make progress somewhere while still keeping enough firepower relatively unproductive on the side to interdict the IJA reinforcements. I'd recommend it and play it again.

I can't recall playing a scenario with mild breeze, at start blazes, and rain before. I had to look up that drifting smoke is NA in rain. A fun time.

Blindgänger

Reaction score
First name
Andreas
Country
llGermany
We finished scenario 180 The T-Patchers live via VASL on Saturday night. I lost as the Americans.

When I did my setup I saw that level 2 hill and thought - keep that in mind. Keep that in mind! I forgot about it twice and moved right into some nasty -2 shots.

When I did my setup I thought about a few things I wanted to try but what I totally forgot until turn 3 was .... Smoke. Stupid me.

Two of my tanks where stunned in turn 2, my opponent broke my 9-2 and 9-1 in turn 1 and 2 and I wasn't able to get them and the squad stacked with them back. The dice made me pay for my stupid decisions. His HMG kept rate all the time. One turn he fired six times until he finally lost rate. He broke so many of my squads with that thing. And me forgetting about smoke made it easy for him.

I was only able to break four squads of his from turn 1 to 4, he either passed every check or I rolled too high to do some damage.

It would have looked way different if I just fired some smoke but I simply forgot about it until turn 3 and had to pay for this. Up to turn 4 I've lost 3 squads and a HS and four other squads plus my 9-2 and 9-1 broken, two of my tanks stunned and I gave up. Too many stupid decisions. There was no way I could catch up on this.

Lesson learned. We started Assault on the Hotel Continental now. Smoke, keep that in mind!

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MP12 Worthy Adversary
Our group has an event every fall where we gather and vote on a scenario to play. Last weekend, 20 of us paired up to play MP12 Worthy Adversary from the club's own Melee Pack II. ROAR has it as 13-12 pro-German and our 10 games ended up with 5 German wins, 4 Russian wins and a game too close to call either way when time ran out. So really fine balance on this scenario! (bravo to Chuck Hammond of Hazmo!)
It's May 1942 and the Germans are responding to the Russian attempt to recapture Kharkov. 6x468s, 4x548s, 4x467s and a SiG 150*, 2xStuG IIIB, 2xPz IVF1, SD 6/2 and Kumbelwagen with AAMG and a 37L can set up on the river board or enter later from the west edge. They've also got three Stukas. The Germans must capture all five multi-hex buildings on the center board by the end of their Turn 7. So the Germans have quite a solid force but their goal is also challenging.

The Russians have 2x458s, 6x447s, 2x426s (they can HIP a squad with leader & SW) and a hidden T-40, and three guns: AT45L, INF76* and 37L AA. They also have 3xWire, a Roadblock, and 18 AP minefield factors. They also have 4x458s, 2xT-34M41 and 2xT-26S M37 entering on Turn 3 from the east edge, along with a fighter-bomber.

The Russians have plenty of options and strategies for devising a defensive setup. As the German player I spotted the 37L on the south edge of the middle board and swung all of the tanks around the north side of the village to avoid it. With plenty of smoke from the Pz IVs and StuGs, I was able to drive the Russians out of the main village and occupy a line parallel to the graveyard. At this point I was feeling pretty confident, until the Russian reinforcements rolled in. My opponent's rolls which were bad in the first three turns got a bit better and many of my squads started breaking, and had to rally back.

The Russians defended the two remaining southernmost victory buildings with an HMG stack in the forward building and a 9-1 leader with 3x458s in the back building. The 9-1 stack skulked back behind the building and a Stuka dropped a bomb on them, breaking them all! A second Stuka tried to hit the HMG stack (at this moment shrouded in +2 smoke) and mistakenly hit a German 468 squad in the street next to it.

It mostly came down to a T-34 to the east of the forward building who was keeping the Germans from maneuvering freely. It took three AFVs to knock it out. Then, the Germans were able to maneuver their five remaining squads, win three close combats, and move in to capture the last two buildings they needed at the bottom of Turn 6.

So a very fun scenario for both attacker and defender. If you've got 7 hours or so to spend on a gameday, try Worthy Adversary! I'm looking forward to playing it many more times in the future.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MP12 Worthy Adversary
Our group has an event every fall where we gather and vote on a scenario to play. Last weekend, 20 of us paired up to play MP12 Worthy Adversary from the club's own Melee Pack II. ROAR has it as 13-12 pro-German and our 10 games ended up with 5 German wins, 4 Russian wins and a game too close to call either way when time ran out. So really fine balance on this scenario! (bravo to Chuck Hammond of Hazmo!)
View attachment 23120
It's May 1942 and the Germans are responding to the Russian attempt to recapture Kharkov. 6x468s, 4x548s, 4x467s and a SiG 150*, 2xStuG IIIB, 2xPz IVF1, SD 6/2 and Kumbelwagen with AAMG and a 37L can set up on the river board or enter later from the west edge. They've also got three Stukas. The Germans must capture all five multi-hex buildings on the center board by the end of their Turn 7. So the Germans have quite a solid force but their goal is also challenging.

The Russians have 2x458s, 6x447s, 2x426s (they can HIP a squad with leader & SW) and a hidden T-40, and three guns: AT45L, INF76* and 37L AA. They also have 3xWire, a Roadblock, and 18 AP minefield factors. They also have 4x458s, 2xT-34M41 and 2xT-26S M37 entering on Turn 3 from the east edge, along with a fighter-bomber.

The Russians have plenty of options and strategies for devising a defensive setup. As the German player I spotted the 37L on the south edge of the middle board and swung all of the tanks around the north side of the village to avoid it. With plenty of smoke from the Pz IVs and StuGs, I was able to drive the Russians out of the main village and occupy a line parallel to the graveyard. At this point I was feeling pretty confident, until the Russian reinforcements rolled in. My opponent's rolls which were bad in the first three turns got a bit better and many of my squads started breaking, and had to rally back.

The Russians defended the two remaining southernmost victory buildings with an HMG stack in the forward building and a 9-1 leader with 3x458s in the back building. The 9-1 stack skulked back behind the building and a Stuka dropped a bomb on them, breaking them all! A second Stuka tried to hit the HMG stack (at this moment shrouded in +2 smoke) and mistakenly hit a German 468 squad in the street next to it.

It mostly came down to a T-34 to the east of the forward building who was keeping the Germans from maneuvering freely. It took three AFVs to knock it out. Then, the Germans were able to maneuver their five remaining squads, win three close combats, and move in to capture the last two buildings they needed at the bottom of Turn 6.

So a very fun scenario for both attacker and defender. If you've got 7 hours or so to spend on a gameday, try Worthy Adversary! I'm looking forward to playing it many more times in the future.
I like to have some old acorns thrown in amongst the new scenarios at the Nor'easter. Thanks for bringing this one up. I think it just made the list :).