So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Memories...

In my early days of ASL, I fondly remember a Tank Rumble - The 'Dompaire Rumble' via email with tow teams and a moderator. Each player commanded a tank and had to send in movement orders with two or three contingency options. Communication was only possible in the form of (short) 'radio messages' within the tank platoon. Platoon commanders had an additional platoon-frequency and could issue orders to their platoon. One could 'see' things, or not - especially while BU. One could also hear things if your engine was stopped even if you didn't see it, i.e. motor noises from a certain direction, firing, etc. If a tank was hit, communication to an from it might just suddenly go ominously quiet... Communcation among tank commanders was "in-time" i.e. a little game in itself, each commander having the 'characteristics' that his player gave him. Furthermore, for added atmosphere, no coordinates were used but certain buildings were given designations instead. So, for example, a transmission would read: "I am stopped immediately south of the 'Mairie'. There is an enemy Sherman approaching towards the NW about 80 meters from the 'Boulangerie'. I can hear further motor noises in the Orchards beyond and after an explosion black smoke is now rising from that area. Will engage the enemy Sherman now. Over".

That is actually, when "von Marwitz" was created. His first 'life' didn't last long, though: My tank never even reached the action because it was taken out by Air Support while crossing a bridge approaching the noise.

Good ideas of players were encouraged: For example, the tank of one player on my side was taken out but the (very angry) crew survived. The crew still had some fight in it. It moved (unseen by the adversary) into a steeple location with a fine view of the battlefield. A friendly tank pulled up and parked ADJACENT to the steeple CE. The crew in the steeple called down its observations to the tank, who in turn forwarded it over the communications net to the rest of the force. As a consequence, a successful and surprising flanking attack was made.

Handling the Rumble was somewhat cumbersome, but it had lots of 'fog of war', suprises and fun.
Good times.

von Marwitz
I didn't ever play in one but I remember them from the old ASLML.

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks & I recently had at WO36 Dompaire Destruction. A good looking scenario that is deceiving in application. Not a lot of playings recorded on ROAR but the trajectory seems to be quite pro-French as was our outcome further reinforcing the current estimation of the scenario. The difficulty with the scenario as I perceive it to be is the inexperienced crews of the Germans mixed with a short time-span (5 turns) to accomplish their objectives: #1 to exit at least 1 or 2 Panthers (of 4) and #2 avoid a VP deficit. With 4x 76mm tubes a 57mm AT gun & 4x 75mm Shermans in the defense augmented by a '44 FB it was a little daunting for the Germans to cross two "Fort" boards to exist a Panther or two and avoid losing a few of his Pz IVs (4 ea) or other vehicles to keep the VP count down as well in such short order. A Fun scenario but a very uphill fight for the Germans.
As the scenario author I want to thank you for taking the time to play this scenario. I am so glad that you had fun playing it and said that. There are so many scenarios and so little time, I'd hate to think that someone didn't enjoy the time they spent playing a scenario I designed and then playtested. But you are also correct in that it has turned out to be a steep learning curve for the Germans. I can only blame myself if that means the Germans are on the short side of the stick. I doubt that there are too many people that play a scenario twice anymore so the phrase 'steep learning curve' or 'very uphill fight' applied to one side just means that side is likely going to lose. I feel like the German tactics in this scenario really benefit from a second playing. Of course that's probably true for every scenario also, just this one more than most.

I, and several people I regard as 'top' players playtested this scenario many times. It would have been more but Winter Offensive Packs have tight deadlines (board design, scenario design, playtesting, proofing, layout, production all occur in order to get the package there for January). We thought it was fully baked at the end of the process. Without speaking for the playtesters I, at least, got comfortable during playtesting that the Germans could be an unstoppable force if they manage the chaos that occurs on the board correctly. Of course I suck at this game. 30 odd years of playing; you'd think I would get better. But the Germans can be an unstoppable force, the second time someone plays the scenario as the Germans (or if they play me and I'm the Allies). Of course how many people are going to play a scenario twice (and this is a big scenario, although it plays 'fast')? Anyway all the playtesters described the scenario as fun.

The scenario historical situation is really unique. The German got plastered historically. It was a real challenge to come up with a design that modeled the situation well (maybe I embarrassingly did too good a job at that) and was still something that appealed. Classically its the defender that is outnumbered and outgunned and holding on for dear life. This time its the attacker running into the teeth of a significant force. The Germans have to time the encircling attack right. Its hard to do. The building capture part of the VP not only gains (double VPs) for the Germans but takes them away from the French so its a triple whammy to the French when the buildings fall (and they should).

As a very unofficial fix to the perceived (and obviously real) balance issue I think I would eliminate SSR 3 and remove the 57L AT gun and crew from the Allied OB.

Anyway sorry about the balance issue. I like the scenario a lot and normally throw up in mouth a little when someone want to play a scenario I've already playtested 5, 6, 7 times; but I'd play this one again and happily as the Germans.

Oh and out of this pack look at 3 Bars of Chocolate. That one is pretty fun too. Of course both of these scenarios pale to Chas' design in WO Pack 12.

thanks for playing it.

ken

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I, and several people I regard as 'top' players playtested this scenario many times. It would have been more but Winter Offensive Packs have tight deadlines (board design, scenario design, playtesting, proofing, layout, production all occur in order to get the package there for January).
Agreed, Ken -- we can't let them 'simmer' for a while, like a good pot of chili :) -- and I have said as much about the WO packs, too!. So right now I am starting work on the scenarios for WO pack 2024 or 2025.

Of course I suck at this game. 30 odd years of playing; you'd think I would get better.
It might be 'design brain'. Even when I try to play competitively, my mind always wanders from 'how do I win this one' to "What would I do differently if I were designing this one?"

The scenario historical situation is really unique. The German got plastered historically. It was a real challenge to come up with a design that modeled the situation well (maybe I embarrassingly did too good a job at that) and was still something that appealed. Classically its the defender that is outnumbered and outgunned and holding on for dear life. This time its the attacker running into the teeth of a significant force. The Germans have to time the encircling attack right. Its hard to do. The building capture part of the VP not only gains (double VPs) for the Germans but takes them away from the French so its a triple whammy to the French when the buildings fall (and they should).
One of our top dilemmas -- How do we make it interesting for the grognard but not overwhelmingly difficult for the newer player? IMO, the 'target market' for WO Packs and Action Packs is the former, so when I have to decide-- I tend to lean that way.

When all else fails -- move on to the next one! (That kid is out of the house and on his own.)

I hope that helps.

-Pete

Last edited:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
wrongway149 said:
How do we make it interesting for the grognard but not overwhelmingly difficult for the newer player?
There are already plenty of ASL scenarios for the newbies and a lots of good advice for them re how to find them (not to mention ASLSK).

Newbies are already well-served and those who play more-intro ASL scenarios become grognards in time.

Hence, design for the gorgnards and you design for everyone, eventually.

JMO.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As the scenario author I want to thank you for taking the time to play this scenario. I am so glad that you had fun playing it and said that. There are so many scenarios and so little time, I'd hate to think that someone didn't enjoy the time they spent playing a scenario I designed and then playtested. But you are also correct in that it has turned out to be a steep learning curve for the Germans. I can only blame myself if that means the Germans are on the short side of the stick. I doubt that there are too many people that play a scenario twice anymore so the phrase 'steep learning curve' or 'very uphill fight' applied to one side just means that side is likely going to lose. I feel like the German tactics in this scenario really benefit from a second playing. Of course that's probably true for every scenario also, just this one more than most.

I, and several people I regard as 'top' players playtested this scenario many times. It would have been more but Winter Offensive Packs have tight deadlines (board design, scenario design, playtesting, proofing, layout, production all occur in order to get the package there for January). We thought it was fully baked at the end of the process. Without speaking for the playtesters I, at least, got comfortable during playtesting that the Germans could be an unstoppable force if they manage the chaos that occurs on the board correctly. Of course I suck at this game. 30 odd years of playing; you'd think I would get better. But the Germans can be an unstoppable force, the second time someone plays the scenario as the Germans (or if they play me and I'm the Allies). Of course how many people are going to play a scenario twice (and this is a big scenario, although it plays 'fast')? Anyway all the playtesters described the scenario as fun.

As a very unofficial fix to the perceived (and obviously real) balance issue I think I would eliminate SSR 3 and remove the 57L AT gun and crew from the Allied OB.

Anyway sorry about the balance issue. I like the scenario a lot and normally throw up in mouth a little when someone want to play a scenario I've already playtested 5, 6, 7 times; but I'd play this one again and happily as the Germans.

Oh and out of this pack look at 3 Bars of Chocolate. That one is pretty fun too. Of course both of these scenarios pale to Chas' design in WO Pack 12.

thanks for playing it.

ken
As a contribution to the improvement of the scenario and regarding the historical blurb, please note that:

• "the famous Jacques LeClerc" was actually Philippe Leclerc
  • No capital "C" in "LeClerc"
  • "de Lattre de Tassignye" should rather be "de Lattre de Tassigny"

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you SURE his friends didn’t call him “Jacques”? ;)
No idea where that “e” came from.

Can’t blame the designer for those or other problems.
It’s a team effort.
And the fact that this minutiae (<<<should there really be a 'i' there?) makes it into the discussion more often and the much heavier details less so shows how far we have come.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Well, my buddy was not really enthused with Vietnam, so I decided to set up an old Pete Shelling special called After the Disaster, I dont think it has been officially published. Anyway, I am the Russians and will be defending around building 4p6 since that is part of the VC as well as using the 6 dummies given to me to put out three dummy gun like stacks. Here are pics of my set up.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After the Disaster was published "officially" by MMP as OA22 in Out Of The Attic 2. A Nice little scenario and a lot of fun.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CH 41 Test of Nerves from Critical Hit magazine 4. Had a really fun game with the decision going down to the last CC.

The setting is Villers Bocage in June '44 and Wittmann's three Tigers, a PzIVH and 6 x 548s with a PsK trying to root out the British tanks on their half of board 24. The VC at the end of 5 turns is for a British AFV main armament to have LOS to any one of three hexes of a crossroads. Of interest is three British AFVs set up HIP, a fourth one does not. Three are Cromwells and one is a Firefly. To screen them, the British have 4 x 458s with a PIAT and 57L and I think the key is proper use of the MTR OBA to help preserve the tanks from a final panzerfaust assault wave on the last turns.

At the end two British tanks near the southwest treeline, the forward one in the valley in smoke discharger smoke, were trying to survive a final onslaught of a Tiger, and two leader-led 548s. One fell during AFPh and the last British tank was destroyed in the last CC of the game.

I'd love to play again; believe ROAR has it closely balanced.

Last edited:

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP170 Never on Time. Had the defending/counterattacking Brits in this one. Best game for 2022 so far. Was behind the eight ball at the end of German turn 5 when the Germans took both the stone VP buildings to give them a 15 to 5 VP lead. However a counter attack led by the 10-2 with three squads and an heroic (although wounded 8-1) was very effective in reclaiming both buildings and inflicting heavy casualties on the Germans (it helped that my average IFT roll in our final session was 5.5). Also managed to retake the G10 wooden building with a 1-2 HtH after ambushing the pinned German squad. Armoured battle didn't go so well. It cost me 4VP (three tanks KO'ed and one recalled) and only KO'ed one PzIV in return on a very low odds PIAT shot. Still when the dust had settled at the end of the game I managed to pull off a win by 13 points to 10. Excellent scenario, would play again as either side. Taurus was Pursuant!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kharkov is on the Table
Well, was going to try and give some Vietnam scenarios a try, but my FtF buddy, well intentioned as he is, I just got the feeling he would not be having that much fun. So I have seen him eye balling my Kharkov: Battle for the Square and decided to set up The Zoo Lancers, and miracles of miracles there was no massive editing screw ups (I am looking at you Balta Small unit tactics) Anyway below is a pic of the layout before he comes by:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well howdy there internet people;

Well, on the table for the week is: I hear the deep mournful.....Urra! a very cool looking and fairly large scenario out of the Kharkov pack. What more can you ask for? SS with Armor and Flame throwing half tracks vs Russians holed up in buildings but getting armor support as the game goes on. The scenario starts out fairly small for the Germans as the initial force is mostly out to recon the Russian positions, then as the game goes on the forces get larger as more troops and armor are fed into the battle from both sides. Here are some pics posted below, Bob is already set up and we plan to get together during the week to play.

Attachments

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
And the fact that this minutiae (<<<should there really be a 'i' there?) makes it into the discussion more often and the much heavier details less so shows how far we have come.
Lol an interesting way to look at it!