So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Retribution. As the Italian. Versus Jeff deyoung. End of turn 3 I had 3 of 4 leaders dead. And by end of 4: I conceded

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddy Bob cam by yesterday and we played DftB DB163 from the latest bunker issue. it does look interesting. it was an ok scenario, something I would not want to play again. The game went down to the last turn with my Brits being overwhelmed by what was left of the Italians (there were lots of broken spaghetti eaters lol) Still the scenario was kind of boring, just pretty much sat in place waiting and throwing back the pasta boys. Rince and repeat. Bottom line; balanced scenario but not alot of fun as the defender.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Hazmo1 Born Again with David Haasl; he the defending Germans versus my Canadians on board 60 representing Ortona, Italy. 10 defending 548s with assorted MGs, DCs, mines, wire, 6 x fortified locations (three of which can be exchanged for tunnels) a dug-in tank and a 50L ATG. Pregame activity had lots of rubble placement to represent the shattered Ortona battlefield.

Canadian VC is no unbroken non-crew MMC in 11 of 13 multi-hex building. To accomplish this at start, 19 squad equivalents, an array of hardware including DCs and two tanks. Turn three reinforcements include a platoon of 3 x 648 AE sappers with a couple DCs, an all-important FT and Stuart entering on the German flank either the north or south side which must be recoded before German setup.

I set up the SSR-allowable 15 counters on board primarily to see the fortifications. Doing so revealed all six wire. I had the bulk of my Turn 1 reinforcements on the south side.

Setup

By the end of turn 2 I had made it mostly past the wire and mines at the loss of three squad equivalents and a Sherman (to the dug-in PZ IV). Nevertheless, I actually felt pretty good about my progress. I had a 24FP kill stack with a 9-1 attacking the fortified location. I doled out some 1/2 MCs, but the strongpoint's 9-1/548/50L shook them off. This ineffectiveness continued through four full turns. The German’s only casualty was a boxed rally attempt.

End of Turn 2

Turns 3 & 4 saw no frontal progress. The Sapper platoon entered and immediately got into the German backfield and the village split into two halves. There were two concealed units in the back half everything else in the front half. I thought for a moment, the two back concealed units might be dummies as I had only found four of the ten thus far. I knew I couldn’t take the risk and I would have to send some units back to find out. I has lost another 2.5 squads and the German 2.5.

End of Turn 4

The tide really turned the next two turns for the Canadians. Some good outcomes broke up the fortified location in V6 (snakes on a 24+3) and several critical CCs went in their favor including both of the two units in the rear of the village. They were also helped by a hot sniper that broke a 548 in melee. With only 1.5 unbroken MMC with two full turns remaining -- and them likely overwhelmed, the remaining Germans conceded.

Final Positions

Wow. How things can turn. I was very concerned at the end of Turn 4. I was making no progress frontally and there were German units (2 concealed x 238 with DCs) in the rear that could tie up valuable units and time chasing them. What gave me hope was getting behind the main German force to put pressure on both their front and rear. With the V6 strongpoint finally eliminated I could get some of the two platoons across the road and pressure the remaining positions up close. At it turned out, the hot Canadian Turns 5/6 really took its toll on the defenders.

David had an excellent, thoughtful defense. Good use of tunnels was another variable for the Canadian to deal with. I needed to pass a PMC in the early turns as the Germans can really dole out the punishment. Fortunately, I was able to get my Turn 3 AE platoon into the town without any risk. All the wire, mines, 50L and dug-in tank were known by then. With quality troops, DCs and an FT behind them it allowed pressure from both sides. A really hot couple turns made the difference in this playing. Otherwise, I could have been in real trouble. A big thank you to David for a fun and well-played game. Very recommended and gives a good feel for the desperate fighting in Ortona. A solid tournament scenario that plays faster than I expected.

Last edited:

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not long finished DASLs "Lehr Sanction".
I played defenders ( Brits ) and lost. German attacked centrally ( which I thought was a mistake, but...) and I lost several squads and a leader due to failure to rout in one multi hex building I was determined to defend.
My M4 Shermans were quickly destroyed which left me with a firefly which eventually succumbed to a JadgPzr VI, though it did KO a Panther....
Good game all in all and maybe a better player would have made a better fist of the British but the German tank and MMC morale superiority told.
Oh, and the dice...😉
Might be time to get new dice after you track your rolls...

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished up BFP-106, Going Postal. This Poland in Flames scenario features a mixed group of Polish infantry and partisans defending against what feels like a battalion of crummy SS with a lot of toys. The Poles have to defend three victory buildings: the first is far forward, and almost all the partisans have to set up there by SSR. The other two are in the rear, and one is a multi-hex building with a remarkable +5 TEM. I set up my regular infantry to do a fighting withdrawal into the +5 TEM building and hope to stall the Germans long enough to win.

On the other side, the Germans have 7 turns, 17 squads, 3 towed guns, and 3 unopposed armored cars with which to capture all three victory buildings. The 17:12 ratio of attacking to defending squads is more lopsided than it looks because 4 of those squads have to set up right next to the Germans and unsupported by the rest, so in reality there are two scenarios here, a 1 or 2 turn affair in which the Germans have a 4:1 advantage in squads and the rest of the game in which the Germans "only" have a 2:1 advantage. One of the German's platoons are assault engineers armed with a couple of flamethrowers and DCs.

My opponent used the crappy SS to overwhelm the speedbump partisan platoon up front, carefully keeping the flamethrower-toting engineers out of harm's way, to preserve them for the +5 TEM building. Then he did a pretty good job grinding against my fighting withdrawal. I think I did a bad job setting up, and a bad job withdrawing (also we forgot that the building grants fanaticism for our last play session, but I don't think this made a difference). The German could have been much more aggressive using the armored cars to interfere with that, although preserving them as he did meant that later he could park them right next to the +5 building and get lots of 24/+5 shots, which are quite respectable.

The Poles conceded around turn 5-6 when my whole force was broken or destroyed. Although I could have done a better job defending, I think, both my opponent and I agreed that this scenario is probably a dog (so does ROAR, with a 19-5 record, yes yes yes I know this isn't statistically robust, but if it barks like a dog...). The Polish balance is to get two HIP SE instead of one, but that doesn't really seem like either a) enough or b) very fun (the best Polish option is probably to turn the game into a 4-HIP-HS bug hunt). Fun-wise, I think the Pole needs an AT gun, but as-is I would just skip this one.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just finished up BFP-106, Going Postal.

Fun-wise, I think the Pole needs an AT gun, but as-is I would just skip this one.
I played this a few years back (as the Germans), and my assessment was similar to yours. Even searching every possible place for a sneaky HIP HS, I reached the last victory building with most of my force intact and it looked like the Poles never had a chance. More annoyingly, it didn't look to be very fun to play as the defender.

Too bad really, because the scenario looked interesting - cool stuff to attack with, and the need to reach the main building with a large force.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HazMo6, Great Vengeance - My Brits ran into some bad luck in this late war city fight, where they need to control a lot of buildings. My German opponent wisely deployed as much as possible, so the path through town was blocked with numerous 8ML half squads and I was forced to advance pretty slow, looking for a Churchill tank flanking option, but with with a schreck and PF lurking, that never opened up. Slow and steady progress was made, but then the German sniper killed two of the three British leaders, and I was left with no way to rally squads that broke, and after the German 4 reinforcements came on, the British were probably actually outnumbered. To counter that I kicked the Brits key asset, the Croc tank, into more aggressive action - and promptly rolled a 12 on his FT shot, and conceded. Probably not the game to really judge this scenario on, but I didn't find much unique about it, albeit the Croc is always fun to have.
That sounds like just . . . horrific luck. :(

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
J146 Raganarok was fun. Short five turns, 2 half boards, Russian defenders have interesting reinforcement SSR, the Germans have to exit 3 squads off-board. We diced for sides and I got the Germans. It was fun and I would play it again as either side but my Germans got crushed. I killed more of my own troops than the Russians did. I rolled two back to back snake eyes but through the rest of the game I managed to roll six boxcars, five were MMC's, one was the 81MTR HT. Frustrating but it is always fun playing Sven

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
howdy -
I brow beat my FtF opponent Bob into playing Fight for Hue with us playing Hue#9 Ontos Debut, a small easy scenario to get our feet wet with all the new rules and what not. I mean this thankfully is not andy hershey level complicated which makes them much more easier to grok.

My buddy Bob and I did finish this one up with his Marines clearing out the university building of NVA by turn 7 out of an 8 and a half turn game. Some interesting rules for the NVA, if they do not move or fire, they can be fired on but they are treated as concealed even if they are not. The ontos afv's are brutal and make the NVA in any location a living hell. Anyway, if you approach this module from a fun and historical perspective it is fun, warts and all lol. Are next scenario from this will be South Vietnamese vs NVA and VC. Our goal is to play the huge honkin scenario during the summer hopefully.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished ASL TAC72 "Combat for a Tower".
I played solo, the game was even the whole way through until the last German turn, which brought overwhelming fire power that effectively finished off the only partizan squads outside of melee; however, having then reinforced that melee to the tune of 4-1, the Germans failed to eliminate the partisans, getting only a casualty reduction on one half squad, leaving a squad held in melee but still in good order, so fulfilling the VCs ( German win if no good order Partizan in or adjacent to AA7 at game end ). Great scenario, recommended.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Something wrong in the last post. Melee units are not good order, but the VC seem to want not good order.
Thanks for bringing this up ! Indeed, the VCs said no good order units - since the units in melee were not broken , I assumed them to be in good order.
Re my post - broken Partizan units - I allowed them to route past the melee ( adjacent) since the rules precluded them ( melee units ) from being units able to have a LOS ( interdiction ) but maybe that was wrong ?
Wow, maybe the Germans won !?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for bringing this up ! Indeed, the VCs said no good order units - since the units in melee were not broken , I assumed them to be in good order.
Re my post - broken Partizan units - I allowed them to route past the melee ( adjacent) since the rules precluded them ( melee units ) from being units able to have a LOS ( interdiction ) but maybe that was wrong ?
Wow, maybe the Germans won !?
Correct, you cannot rout ADJACENT vs adjacent, there is a real difference between the two, to a melee. In fact, you cannot even Rout ADJACENT to Broken units.
From A10.51 DIRECTION: A routing unit may never rout toward a Known armed
enemy unit (even if that enemy unit is broken or disrupted), while in that enemy
unit’s LOS, in any way which decreases the range in hexes between the
routing unit and the Known armed enemy unit [EXC: Passengers, D6.1];
nor may it move toward such an enemy unit after leaving its LOS during that
RtPh; nor, if ADJACENT to a Known armed enemy unit, may it rout into
another hex ADJACENT to that same enemy unit. A routing unit may never
move ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, unless in doing so it is leaving
that enemy unit’s Location.

The emphasis is mine, but even broken units are armed. That is the emphasis here. Good Order literally does not enter into it. Don't feel bad though. The Rout rules are among the most nuanced and difficult to get a bead on in the game.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks & I recently had at WO36 Dompaire Destruction. A good looking scenario that is deceiving in application. Not a lot of playings recorded on ROAR but the trajectory seems to be quite pro-French as was our outcome further reinforcing the current estimation of the scenario. The difficulty with the scenario as I perceive it to be is the inexperienced crews of the Germans mixed with a short time-span (5 turns) to accomplish their objectives: #1 to exit at least 1 or 2 Panthers (of 4) and #2 avoid a VP deficit. With 4x 76mm tubes a 57mm AT gun & 4x 75mm Shermans in the defense augmented by a '44 FB it was a little daunting for the Germans to cross two "Fort" boards to exist a Panther or two and avoid losing a few of his Pz IVs (4 ea) or other vehicles to keep the VP count down as well in such short order. A Fun scenario but a very uphill fight for the Germans.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Curtis Brooks & I recently had at WO36 Dompaire Destruction.
Memories...

In my early days of ASL, I fondly remember a Tank Rumble - The 'Dompaire Rumble' via email with tow teams and a moderator. Each player commanded a tank and had to send in movement orders with two or three contingency options. Communication was only possible in the form of (short) 'radio messages' within the tank platoon. Platoon commanders had an additional platoon-frequency and could issue orders to their platoon. One could 'see' things, or not - especially while BU. One could also hear things if your engine was stopped even if you didn't see it, i.e. motor noises from a certain direction, firing, etc. If a tank was hit, communication to an from it might just suddenly go ominously quiet... Communcation among tank commanders was "in-time" i.e. a little game in itself, each commander having the 'characteristics' that his player gave him. Furthermore, for added atmosphere, no coordinates were used but certain buildings were given designations instead. So, for example, a transmission would read: "I am stopped immediately south of the 'Mairie'. There is an enemy Sherman approaching towards the NW about 80 meters from the 'Boulangerie'. I can hear further motor noises in the Orchards beyond and after an explosion black smoke is now rising from that area. Will engage the enemy Sherman now. Over".

That is actually, when "von Marwitz" was created. His first 'life' didn't last long, though: My tank never even reached the action because it was taken out by Air Support while crossing a bridge approaching the noise.

Good ideas of players were encouraged: For example, the tank of one player on my side was taken out but the (very angry) crew survived. The crew still had some fight in it. It moved (unseen by the adversary) into a steeple location with a fine view of the battlefield. A friendly tank pulled up and parked ADJACENT to the steeple CE. The crew in the steeple called down its observations to the tank, who in turn forwarded it over the communications net to the rest of the force. As a consequence, a successful and surprising flanking attack was made.

Handling the Rumble was somewhat cumbersome, but it had lots of 'fog of war', suprises and fun.
Good times.

von Marwitz

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
HazMo 6 Great Vengeance. Attacked down the British left flank where my opponent's defence looked a little thin in front of the P3 victory building. Eliminated the 50L in an ambush position in one of the board edge woods hexes without loss and pushed on to clear the P3 building by turn 4, taking out the 9-1, HMG and 468 in CC on the way. Only substantial loss was the Crocodile to a critical hit from the panzerschreck, but as this was a rear hull hit I now think this would have only eliminated the trailer and left me with a functioning gun tank. In turn 4 when my defensive fire broke the 8-1, MMG ,468 in P5 leaving them with limited rout options, my opponent surrendered.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I'm not going to read 463 pages to try and find the answers to these questions.
How recently is recently? if you mean in the last 7-10 years then about 20 scenarios. if your asking about the last 3 years then none. I have played SASL in that time BUT SASL has MISSIONS not Scenarios. So if you count MISSIONS as Scenarios then in the last 3 years I've played 4 MISSIONS. and only 1 this year, but the year is young and there is time to play.

🤷‍♂️