So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played ON - 9 with Mike S.. Very nice scenario, with interesting developments. Germans need to advance to a village, clear it and then move to the exit against a British Defender. The interesting part for me (that I screwed up) is how to manage at best a INF gun, a 80mm Mortar and an AA that will start the scenario "in the back". Moreover, there are few AFVs to play with. And of course few British ACs entering as reinforcement. I would like to blame only my bad luck for having conceded at Turn 3, but I definitely made three big mistakes (one is the set up of the Guns as mentioned before). I would definitely replay it. As first scenario of Operation Neptune, I really enjoyed (again, a part some Italian words/curse that were heard here and there during the game...). Thanks Mike!
Just got done with this...

It's a good design with Odds & Ends AFVs on both sides and a ROF Fest with many 3 ROF weapons. SSR takes the hill off and makes it a plain level fight on 4b and the Victory Point Reinforcement trigger keeps the British in it. Smoke usage and wind direction need to be on the frontal lobe when playing. Would take either side, may be the best scenario in the pak.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need to get together for a game one of these days.

Just got done with this...

It's a good design with Odds & Ends AFVs on both sides and a ROF Fest with many 3 ROF weapons. SSR takes the hill off and makes it a plain level fight on 4b and the Victory Point Reinforcement trigger keeps the British in it. Smoke usage and wind direction need to be on the frontal lobe when playing. Would take either side, may be the best scenario in the pak.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well Curtis Brooks & I finished off our yearly Birthday Bash with our usual paradrop scenario, this time ASL 201(T12) Hunters From The Sky. I hadn't played this scenario since the days of GI-AOV (then published as SL-46 Operation Varsity). It was a bit different in that many of the US SW were gone and the boards slightly altered by deleting the overlays but was a fun "oldie but goldie" scenario nevertheless. Almost everything is random from the US objective & drop points to the German reinforcement entry areas. I thought it was kind of disappointing that the remake did not replace board #2 with a newer board that did not require terrain modifications (Hills NA) but we quickly overcame that mild irritant. It was a free wheeling fight from start to finish but Curtis' drop zones came out in his favor, both landing on the same board and his objective fairly close. Even with that we went 8.5 turns of 10 before I was forced to settle for 2nd place (out of two players:rolleyes:). It's a hard scenario to gauge as everything is so random and a poor random objective roll could almost doom the scenario from the get go. Overall fun, VERY replayable but leaves one feeling the randomness of all of it can make or break the scenario.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HazMo6, Great Vengeance - My Brits ran into some bad luck in this late war city fight, where they need to control a lot of buildings. My German opponent wisely deployed as much as possible, so the path through town was blocked with numerous 8ML half squads and I was forced to advance pretty slow, looking for a Churchill tank flanking option, but with with a schreck and PF lurking, that never opened up. Slow and steady progress was made, but then the German sniper killed two of the three British leaders, and I was left with no way to rally squads that broke, and after the German 4 reinforcements came on, the British were probably actually outnumbered. To counter that I kicked the Brits key asset, the Croc tank, into more aggressive action - and promptly rolled a 12 on his FT shot, and conceded. Probably not the game to really judge this scenario on, but I didn't find much unique about it, albeit the Croc is always fun to have.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few sentences for a recent game of DTF-13 The Living Dead with Rich Domovic. It’s Stalingrad goodness which provided a nice break from the gnarly woods of Inor (CG1). As the Russian, I elected to go toward the “back factories” in order to gain the 13 factory VC hexes. I felt I could get to them and do so before the German could adequately shift to counter that axis of attack.

After a few turns, the Russians were successful in getting far enough along that the German couldn’t stop them. I had several units break, but it was part of the equation in order to move quickly. I had a couple good results myself, CR-ing the 81mm mortar crew on the factory roof. Plus, two 8-0/467 stacks broke on the right flank allowing pretty much open access to the factories. With both flanks open to the onrushing Russians and the shifting Germans unable to get between them and the factories, Rich called it.

Interesting scenario with a lot of choices for both sides. LOTS of area for the German to defend; Russians must choose their objective carefully. We both felt this favored the Russians. Always fun to get in a Stalingrad scenario. A big thank you to Rich for another fun game.

Starting line and Attack

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally got around to playing BFP48 Ninth Tanks against Lionel Colin. It has been on my playlist for years, but everyone I suggested it to had already played it. I was pleased when Lionel said he had not yet played it.

I was the attacking American and suffered a stone cold beatdown where I had nothing go right and a lot go wrong. It was over in the top of the 4th. Lots of losses, including my best leaders (9-2 + 8-1). I am surprised ROAR has this so even. Lionel created a superb defense, and his marksmanship was outstanding. I found it difficult as the attacker with ZERO smoke other than infantry smoke. It makes things very difficult for 6ML troops. My fire attacks had little to no effect, hampered by +2 TEM dense jungle. The highlight of the game for me was the Japanese 37L ATG malfing then 6-ing the repair. Yep, that was it. By that time it was largely over. Anyway, his 12.7 AA did what his 37L couldn't do: KO-ing one of my Stuarts with a 1,1 TK.

Sometimes, we just have games like that. When we do, we get up, shake it off, polish up our dice and get another scenario on the table. Gosh, I love this game!

Thanks to Lionel for an expertly played game.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Finally got around to playing BFP48 Ninth Tanks against Lionel Colin. It has been on my playlist for years, but everyone I suggested it to had already played it. I was pleased when Lionel said he had not yet played it.

Sometimes, we just have games like that. When we do, we get up, shake it off, polish up our dice and get another scenario on the table. Gosh, I love this game!

Thanks to Lionel for an expertly played game.
Thanks for the game Houlie ! My IFT DR have been good during the whole game and it helped my Japanese a lot !

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
RPT142 Commander for a Day. Friday night ASL. Had the US in this one. Even with the 10-2, the early war US and Baz/HEAT rules make this tough for the US. There is very little they can do to stop the KPA armour. I had an opportunity for an automatic victory around turn 3 when I got the 10-2 and squad into CC with one T34/85 and a single squad into CC with the other. Unfortunately, I missed on both attacks and with those units now locked in melee with the armour my defence was completely compromised. Did get a small win the following turn when a US halfsquad made a successful reaction fire attack to KO one of the tanks. That did little to arrest the North Korean momentum and my opponent took the fourth building he needed shortly thereafter.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished ASL Scenario 115 "Bats Outta Hell".
I played the US marines and threw in the towel on Japanese turn 4, before my reinforcements arrived.
Set up my defense across the board and the Japanese then piled down the Southern flank - I couldn't hit a thing to start with, so many LOS hindrance. Got a couple of low rolls later which wiped out a stack but by then units were pouring off the West edge....couldn't make the >59 VP by then.
Found this incredibly tricky re the armour - Shermans on paper completely outclass the Ha Go 95 but there were so many of them and, as I've mentioned, hitting these small targets proved difficult.
Having a static defence with the tanks leaves so many holes but once you start moving then your relying on snake-eyes.
Would be interested to hear how other have played this.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Andy Goldin in round 1 of the VASLeague in AP100, Coal in their Stockings.

A mixed-bag 1944 German force with a JdgPz and some light armor defend a village against a mix of 1st-line and elite American infantry supported by a slew of halftracks and light tanks. The Americans mainly attack from the north, but can redirect some of their units to attack the village from the east. The Americans get points every turn for each victory building they capture, which is a VC wrinkle I like as it gives the attacker some interesting choices to make in how aggressive to me. The Germans get points for victory buildings as well, plus they can get exit VP off the north edge (through the Americans).

I split my attacking infantry about evenly between the north and east. The heavier armor came on from the north, both to provide smoke support and keep the Germans from running vehicles through my lines. The lighter AFVs came on via the east, hoping to cut off rout paths and otherwise be annoying to the Germans. Andy did a good job of preventing this from happening, but that was the plan.

I don't remember all the ups and downs of the scenario, but as the armor battle raged there were tons of swings that had both Andy and I feel that we had things in the bag at different points in the scenario. In the end, things came down to the last CC roll--Andy needed an 8 or less to win it all and got a 6.

I really recommend this scenario--lots of fun, and Andy was an excellent opponent. Thanks to him for the game!

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP178 Walker's Orders. March Paddington Bearz, diced for sides and I got the attacking KPA. My opponent set to defend the victory buildings quite heavily but left the board 3 village undefended, covered only by what turned out to be the Meatchopper in 3W5 and the HMG way back in 3DD2. So I decided to attack down board 3 aiming for the exit and hoping pick up enough CVP along the way to satisfy the second victory condition.

By turn 2 I had eliminated the meatchopper for the loss of two squads. Turn 2 and 3 saw a seesawing battle around the T1/U1/V1 buildings and the Y3 crossroads where I was able to capture one of the US bazookas. On turn 4 I slipped a platoon across the north south road at Y2. On turn 5 I was able to break the HMG squad and a timely cower from the MMG squad allowed my lead platoon to get across Hill 498 and set themselves up to exit. The second halftrack repositioned in a vain attempt to interdict my exit but it was unsupported and fell victim to a rampaging T34 giving me what I thought was a comfortable edged in CVPs.

However the game wasn't quite finished and a number of small skirmishes had to be resolved back in the village as bypassed Americans tried to police up broken KPA stragglers to deny me the CVP objective. Fortunately I was able to race some good order units back to safeguard most of the brokies and a couple of other US units were tied up in inconclusive melees. So with two tanks exited and about points of infantry exited and what ended up being as comfortable CVP lead I was able to claim the win.

This was a good scenario. I think my opponent erred in not defending the forward edge of the board 3 village as that definitely allowed me to make good progress on the first two turns. Nevertheless around turn 3 and 4 I was I worried I would not have enough time to exit and was too committed to board 3 to make any serious effort to change objectives and threaten the buildings.

Fortunately the US was always a little off balance from their over commitment to defending board 17z and never quite got enough troops into position to interfere with my exiting unit (although the cower on the MMG shot when he threatened to put a firelane down across Hill 498 was definitely a big break for me).

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BoF13 Totensonntag: Map 85 (FrFA) seems tailor-made for this German fallback defense scenario as the Germans went southward from the initial woods & stone building to the second clump of woods, then third woods and finally through the walled grainfield area to the main wooden village. The Poles have 11.5 x 457 squads with assault fire and 7 morale on the broken side. The Germans defend with seven x 467s and two half squads sans deployment.
One decision the Germans waffled over was sacrificing a squad to wound a berserk 7-0 and delay a stack of 457s for a full turn, and it turns out this caused the several Polish squads to not be involved in the end game.

In the last clump of woods, the Germans were unable to break a Polish half-squad whose potential to interdict caused a 467, 247 and an 8-0 to surrender. This brought the Poles right back into the game on Turn 6 of 7. Until then, the Germans were able to foil most of the Polish flanking maneuvers.

On the last turn, the Poles needed to eliminate 2.5 German squad-equivalents to win (in addition, each wooden building with a good-order Polish squad-equivalent would count as an eliminated German squad).

The Poles did occupy the church on the NE outskirts, so needed to eliminate 1.5 more squad-equivalents. In the row of three wooden buildings (the easternmost being the one surrounded by the hedge), the Germans placed a 9-1 with 467 in the west building, a 467 and 447 in the middle building, and a 467, MMG and 247 in the east building. The Poles moved a hero with captured lmg next to the west building, a CX 457 next to the middle building, and a 9-1 with two squads and next to them, two more half squads -- this was the main assault, getting next to the east building. The German east building MMG stack rolled boxcars in Final Fire on the 9-1 and two 457s but the middle building squads were able to break those two 457s and pin the Polish 9-1 leader. Advancing Fire was not effective, and the three CCs went the German side's way for a close victory.

Last edited:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
BoF13 Totensonntag: Map 85 (FrFA) seems tailor-made for this German fallback defense scenario as the Germans went southward from the initial woods & stone building to the second clump of woods, then third woods and finally through the walled grainfield area to the main wooden village. The Poles have 11.5 x 457 squads with assault fire and 7 morale on the broken side. The Germans defend with seven x 467s and two half squads sans deployment.
View attachment 20829
One decision the Germans waffled over was sacrificing a squad to wound a berserk 7-0 and delay a stack of 457s for a full turn, and it turns out this caused the several Polish squads to not be involved in the end game.

In the last clump of woods, the Germans were unable to break a Polish half-squad whose potential to interdict caused a 467, 247 and an 8-0 to surrender. This brought the Poles right back into the game on Turn 6 of 7. Until then, the Germans were able to foil most of the Polish flanking maneuvers.

On the last turn, the Poles needed to eliminate 2.5 German squad-equivalents to win (in addition, each wooden building with a good-order Polish squad-equivalent would count as an eliminated German squad).

The Poles did occupy the church on the NE outskirts, so needed to eliminate 1.5 more squad-equivalents. In the row of three wooden buildings (the easternmost being the one surrounded by the hedge), the Germans placed a 9-1 with 467 in the west building, a 467 and 447 in the middle building, and a 467, MMG and 247 in the east building. The Poles moved a hero with captured lmg next to the west building, a CX 457 next to the middle building, and a 9-1 with two squads and next to them, two more half squads -- this was the main assault, getting next to the east building. The German east building MMG stack rolled boxcars in Final Fire on the 9-1 and two 457s but the middle building squads were able to break those two 457s and pin the Polish 9-1 leader. Advancing Fire was not effective, and the three CCs went the German side's way for a close victory.
Yeah, this is a great scenario, imo, that I've played a couple of times and one I'd gladly play again. I remember winning once as the Germans because the sacrificial squad I parked in the forward stone building refused to go down, eliciting all sorts of outraged gripes and swears from my opponent.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
J93 The Porechye Bridgehead. Is this the best German 1941 OB ever? They have an embarrassment of riches. My opponent conceded on turn 4 as the German reinforcements were set to motor the the length of board 42 to secure the eastern village which was the only point even vaguely under threat. Unfortunately not much positive to say about this scenario (stellar OB notwithstanding) - other than I didn't select it!