So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? Played DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with my Buddy Rich. The game went 5 turns but the VC is just so tough on the Germans to defend everything. I lost as the Germans again with Rich's Russian capturing P19 and gaining 10 stone locations, the most I got in Russian CVP's was 6, so a very far cry from 13. A huge problem with the VC is I do not think you guys understand the RB locations VC requirement. Each multi hex building I17 fror example is 6 locations alone. A hex in building building K17 is worth 3 locations (celler, ground and 1st level). So the Russians just do not need to travel far afield to win. This is made worse with the Germans spread thin along the lines and thus forces them to bring on their reinforcements to either plug a gap or launch a fruitless counter attack all the while awarding the Russian two free locations due to the reinforcement entry.

It not a bad scenario, it could have been much better if the designer just did not go overboard with several multiple VC's and a very fragile defenders that would have to manage such multiple VC's. hmmmm, maybe I'll redign them and put out my own RB/RO scenario pack.

Scott
Shrug, as I say, played it and playtested it. I found it to be fine. I realize multiple VC's are not everyone's cup of tea, but the end result was both sides had an even shot, which is what I judge things on. Fun factor, etc are subjective, so milage varies.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My games at the New York ASL Championship:

HazMo5 THE BLOOD OF LAMBS - after six turns of nine, I conceded as the German attacker against Rich Viera as the Russians. Rich had placed a lot of units in the center front woods mass that I needed to eliminate. My Germans were not in the town yet.

MM68 BRAZIL'S HERE - I won with the German defenders against Randy Rossi. He had very few units across the stream when he conceded after six of eight turns. First time I can remember seeing a unit climb down a cliff.

AP172 HICKORY LICKIN' - Germans go turtle in stone buildings and Americans need to clear out every one of them. I did not.

HazMo14 A SISYPHEAN TASK - from the new HazMo pack. I had the Hellanic Army against fellow Canadian Wai Kwong-Wong and the Greek Communist partisans. The partisans try to take three of four Army garrisons. The partisan side won.

HazMo6 GREAT VENGEANCE - I had the German defenders against George Young and the British with a crocodile. A HIP unit dropped a DC onto the crocodile from level one, but failed to kill it. Might be the first time I did that. After four turns of eight, George conceded because his British infantry was too beat up.

I had to miss the last round because of inclement weather moving into Montreal where I live. Surprisingly to me, George Young was the only new opponent for me.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
WO32 Corps Value. Took the Marines in this one. Short and sweet as my opponent conceded at the end of the US advancing fire phase of turn 2. At this point I'd captured both at start conscript squads and eliminated the ATG and crew. My total losses to that point were two M26s immobilised and I'd x'ed the bazooka. My main attack went straight through the M14 building. I found 1 factor AT minefields in N11 and M15 but managed to negotiate this with no ill effects and his HIP trap (248 with MMG) in the M14 Steeple failed to make an impact when my infantry crossed the L hexrow road. The 8-1, 458 , LMG were broken in K14 with only the upstairs level as a valid rout destination, so would have been vulnerable to surrender if they didn't rally in the next turn. Otherwise the North Korean force was intact with only about 7 points of the OB additions revealed by my calculations. I will have to try this one as the defender sometime.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all-

Bob and I concluded our game of DB122 Prescription for the Kommissar. We liked the scenario, the Concealment rule is very well done as a good SSR. The game itself saw the Germans win by turn 5. We both felt the Germas had alot of time and alot of firepower to noodle out the Russians from their buildings. The set ups, not as insane as a hershey scenario, but still left the Russians struggling to hold back the Germans. The amount of fire power the Germans can put out is phenomenal, I think it comes close to 240FP vs around 160 russian FP.

My Version, which was published back in 2011, is much more fun and less micro managy. It was called a Grim Brick Sentinel and had a more historically accurate OB.

I still do not understand what is with designers these days dictating / micro managing each sides set up. What ever happened to the old set on or east of X and play?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A short post upon completing Inor12 Reaction with Curtis Brooks. We wanted to play a scenario on this recent module. We found it to be typical LFT high quality. The French had to control enough buildings to total >=17 VP with each building VP equal to the number of building hexes it spanned.

The German defense was arrayed in stone buildings with 2xWire and one roadblock expertly placed to slow the attacker. The French determined they needed to concentrate attack in force lest they dilute themselves and run out of time. Another risk would be a German defensive shift that would make any penetration into the village at the point of attack a time-burning grind. So, I chose to use harassing fire to pin down a number of the defenders on the north side of the village. This seemed to work well. The French made methodical progress and had obtained the 17 VP around ~turn 4 of 5.5. The Germans saw that getting any of those locations back extremely difficult in light of the numbers/heavy firepower facing them

End game

An excellent scenario that was well-balanced and very tight. We debriefed and actually felt the German defenders have a slight edge. A key aspect of this game was the early capture (due to a crew self-rally of 6,6) of the 37L which really eliminated the main threat to the 2xH-39s providing a mobile threat to freeze a couple key locations. The harassing fire worked really well and getting three missions down helped a lot. That said, Curtis had an expert defense, but he had a couple player turns of absolutely hooooorrible dice that undid his defenders.

We both appreciated Inor’s limited/simple HSRs which made playing this one very easy and enjoyable. Typical for LFT stuff. We like it so much we are planning to start CG1, a three-date CG in January. Well done LFT.

Another big thank you to Curtis for a well-played game. Even average dice for him and this easily could have gone the other way.

Last edited:

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Valhalla Bound A74

Russians brought everything on the German right (board 4). The first wave of seven squads and seven AFV lost three tanks, a half squad, and a leader to two HIP SS half squads, each with a Panzerschreck, in woods north and south of the central barn as well as a concealed squad with Panzerfaust behind the barn wall. All those SS died seconds later in a hail of machine gun fire. The three SS squads on board 17 fell back to the board 10 village.

German panthers rolled into overwatch positions on the board 11 hill as the snow fall increased, but were constrained by Russian elements who had sections of the forward slope in their gun sights; the high Russian APCR number made driving into Ivan’s TCA much too dangerous, even at range. Russians fired smoke and rolled forward on board 4 along the southern road taking care to avoid the open field where boards 4 and 11 meet because panthers had it under observation. Scant firing at mid game as the two sides maneuvered for advantage, but an SU 85 did kill a panther behind at wall at 500 yards via an overlooked line of sight and another panther took out an SU 85 before an IS 2 dispatched him at the eastern tip of the board 11 hill. The German armored car came out of hiding – from the three-hex orchard on board 17 – to roll up behind two ISU-122 on board 4, but failed to hit and later crumpled under a 122mm impact.

Ivan unleashed heavy metal carnage by rushing the board 11 hill one turn 6. The German 10-2 armor leader took out two Russian tanks before others dispatched him up at close range. His wingman accounted for another one before he too went up in flames. The southern-most panther rolled back behind the hedge by the hill top crossroads where he later made rate to earn three kills in a single phase. By now the surviving German infantry were closing from the north where they used a panzerfaust to kill an SU 85 and pinned or broke several Russian squads.

The Russians exited one tank and had one still alive on the board when they conceded after their turn 7 movement phase. They also managed to exit a captured German halftrack. The victorious Germans finished with one living panther.

Attachments

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hill 621 ASL Scenario E

We're three turns into this 10-turn monster. The Russians have made it to the base of their objective at a cost of six squads KIA and 15 broken (out of 48 at start) as well as two flaming T-34s (on the board 3 hills) and one immobilized. The Germans have lost one Panzer IV, with another in dire straits, as well as one squad KIA and two broken (out of eight at start). Five big guns have bracketed the German 9-2 and his two machine guns on the summit of 621, time to fall back on the reverse slope.

Attachments

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played FT216 Back in Force with Ron Duenskie Sunday. About 16 mixed german squads (548 to 436) with two 75L ATGs, two 20L AC's and a reinforcing Pz4 defend a city board and canal crossing against about the same number of 2nd Cavalry 747/667/666 and partisan 337 squads with four shermans, two stuarts and a 75* assault gun.

US firepower is strong but crossing streets and canal bridges, while taking on 548's in stone buildings is tough.

I malf'ed both my 9-2 led HMG (a 1(-2) 18 hex final fire 'freebie' on a broken half squad...and that's why we don't do that!) and Psk on their first shots. The 75L's took out two shermans and a stuart. Lots of ASL goodness for both sides in this slug fest. Ron's cav troopers came up a building short. A fun scenario, although if my 9-2 had an HMG it might have been much tougher. Two thumbs up.

-Paul

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
WO22 The Cost of Non-Compliance. I had the defending Germans. Soviets steamrolled down the left overwhelming the defence on the hill for minimal loss. The contribution of the three German guns was limited to immobilising a single BT tank (and that was achieved by the howitzer crew in CC). I also entered the German tanks on the less optimum east edge which limited their ability to get into the battle while the Soviet attack was well coordinated so I couldn't find an opening to launch an effective armoured counterattack. Conceded in German turn 5 by which time my opponent held six buildings and it was obvious I lacked the strength to counterattack.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrapped up Hazmo11 The Beleaguered Capital with Rich Domovic getting the Nationalist (Nats) win. For me as the road-clearing Republican (Reps) I had to clear a roadway segment free from ADJACENT GO Nats. It came down to the game’s final 4 x CCs needing to either eliminate or ensure melee (so not in GO). Frankly, I couldn’t believe I was still in it. The Rep firepower is quite potent, but it appeared most of the Reps forgot to sight-in their rifles back at camp. Nevertheless, with a little luck, I had a decent shot at victory in the final turn.

My green 437s’ inability to inflict any Nationalist casualties – zero – in the first 2.5 turns meant more to deal with in the end game. In this same time span, I lost 5.5 squads and an 8-1 leader. They simply dissolved mostly thru CC. As a result, a few Nats and a Pz I penetrated into the Rep’s backfield and had to be cleaned up, but not before eliminating 2x457s for FTR and eating up valuable time for Rep reinforcements. The armor battle had one tank on each side bog on crazy bog DRs (high)-drs (low). The 2 x Pz I were KOed by a DC and a same-hex T-26 shot. One T-26 bogged in a building and the other failed its mechanical reliability DR at a most inopportune time. Gotta love tin cans.

In my final Rep turn, my T-26 passed its TC, but its transmission dropped out on a 6,6. This was major blow as it would have VBMed a key VC location (R4) with a 447 (and allowed troops to close in). As it was, I could only get a pistol-packing 6+1 vs. that 447 (an adjacent Rep 237 was broken in final fire). Unsurprisingly, the 6+1 was rebuffed in CC with extreme prejudice. In another of the four CC, a 1-1 HTH CC vs. a withdrawing 247 successfully withdrew from Q6 to a VC hex by me gacking the roll. The other two CC hexes were successfully negated by eliminating one unit and in the other hex denying GO status. So, it ended up very close despite subpar marksmanship from the rowdy Reps.

End Game (blue arrows identifying CC-surviving Nats)

This is a perfect scenario for me in that both sides attack and defend. We both felt the Reps are a better side and will be favored over more playings. That said, there are a lot of dimensions to consider in this scenario. Rich commented that this was one of the most entertaining games he’s played in a while. I agreed completely. Lots of laughs and crazy DRs (I recall 3 Rep HOBs and 1 berserk). We both recommend this one and are going to pick another scenario from this pack and get it rolling in January. A big thanks to Rich for a fun and another well-played game.

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrapped up Hazmo11 The Beleaguered Capital with Rich Domovic getting the Nationalist (Nats) win. For me as the road-clearing Republican (Reps) I had to clear a roadway segment free from ADJACENT GO Nats. It came down to the game’s final 4 x CCs needing to either eliminate or ensure melee (so not in GO). Frankly, I couldn’t believe I was still in it. The Rep firepower is quite potent, but it appeared most of the Reps forgot to sight-in their rifles back at camp. Nevertheless, with a little luck, I had a decent shot at victory in the final turn.

My green 437s’ inability to inflict any Nationalist casualties – zero – in the first 2.5 turns meant more to deal with in the end game. In this same time span, I lost 5.5 squads and an 8-1 leader. They simply dissolved mostly thru CC. As a result, a few Nats and a Pz I penetrated into the Rep’s backfield and had to be cleaned up, but not before eliminating 2x457s for FTR and eating up valuable time for Rep reinforcements. The armor battle had one tank on each side bog on crazy bog DRs (high)-drs (low). The 2 x Pz I were KOed by a DC and a same-hex T-26 shot. One T-26 bogged in a building and the other failed its mechanical reliability DR at a most inopportune time. Gotta love tin cans.

In my final Rep turn, my T-26 passed its TC, but its transmission dropped out on a 6,6. This was major blow as it would have VBMed a key VC location (R4) with a 447 (and allowed troops to close in). As it was, I could only get a pistol-packing 6+1 vs. that 447 (an adjacent Rep 237 was broken in final fire). Unsurprisingly, the 6+1 was rebuffed in CC with extreme prejudice. In another of the four CC, a 1-1 HTH CC vs. a withdrawing 247 successfully withdrew from Q6 to a VC hex by me gacking the roll. The other two CC hexes were successfully negated by eliminating one unit and in the other hex denying GO status. So, it ended up very close despite subpar marksmanship from the rowdy Reps.

View attachment 19992

This is a perfect scenario for me in that both sides attack and defend. We both felt the Reps are a better side and will be favored over more playings. That said, there are a lot of dimensions to consider in this scenario. Rich commented that this was one of the most entertaining games he’s played in a while. I agreed completely. Lots of laughs and crazy DRs (I recall 3 Rep HOBs and 1 berserk). We both recommend this one and are going to pick another scenario from this pack and get it rolling in January. A big thanks to Rich for a fun and another well-played game.
Awesome AAR - as usual for Houlie! Our playings of this scenario were also insane, and you would be amazed how often it came down to the last CC DR, so I had to laugh at that! The Republican reinforcement are rough customers, to be sure, but the Nationalist has to keep the VC in mind: he doesn't have to take every single building adjacent to the VC road (not that that's what you tried to do, but a lot of people will try to do that the first time around because they figure "I'm the Attacker!" ) Thanks very much for sharing!

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 19992

My humble suggestion for the next one is the same one I suggested for the Albany tourney: Hazmo14 ("A Sisyphean Task"). Very straightforward (esp. for a Hazmo scen lol), but crazy replay value! Fun for both sides.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 19992

Having said all that, I have not seen a single game in which the Nationalists were unable to touch the Republicans for 2.5 turns. That's what I call crappy dice, Houlie! You have to introduce your patented HoulieDice (TM) next time!

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having said all that, I have not seen a single game in which the Nationalists were unable to touch the Republicans for 2.5 turns. That's what I call crappy dice, Houlie! You have to introduce your patented HoulieDice (TM) next time!
Yes, my Nationaists were fortunate early. They succeeded in closing with the Republican 437s, ambushing them and winning the CCs.

Early on, IIRC, Caudillo's boys had eliminated six 437 smelly Republican squad/equivalents with the only casualty one immobilized AFV (in a good position looking down the main road).

When the 457s appeared, the count was at 9 to 2.5 squads.

I thought the scenario outcome determined, but the eleven 457s charged and made the outcome very close.

I agree with Houlie that the Nationalists could use the balance or so. A less fortunate start could put the Nationalists in dire straits.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Three more turns of Hill 621 got us to Soviet turn 6 today. Russian losses are 12 squads KIA and 17 broken out of 56 total (50% losses) as well as two T-34s on fire, one immobile, and one SU-122 under recall. German losses are all four Mark IVs, a 75mm ATG, as well as 2.5 squads KIA and 1.5 broken, out of 12 total (33% losses). Starting with turn 3, the Russians pressed hard on the German right with a full company of infantry, but the German 10-3 roared to the front with a full squad of sub machine gunners in his halftrack. They stayed on the lower hills, behind the trees to avoid long range Soviet tank fire, and immediately KIAed a 4-4-7 attempting to outflank them. Next they dismounted and advanced up to level 2 where the now assembled HMG went on a rate tear to knock out four Russian squads who had nearly reached the crest of 621. Then the 10-3's HMG inflicted a K on the exposed crew of an SU-122 at 14 hexes through dispersed smoke! Meanwhile, the German 75mm ATG kept bouncing rounds off a distant T-34 - very frustrating - until it disabled after intensive fire. Two German MIVs tried to hold the center, but failed to hit a speeding T-34 and then fell prey to the mighty SU-152. On the German left, timely 100 mm OBA crashed down around the intersection to break three Russian squads and scare an SU-122 into hiding. An SU-152 broke an 8-3-8 who had just reach the crest to recover another HMG, but failed to find its panzerfaust. Total mayhem!

Attachments

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
MM66. Brazil's Here. Had the Brazilians in this one. My strategy was basically to ignore the bridge and try to force a passage across the stream on the western flank through the S10 bottleneck. Critical hit by one of the light mortars in the German prep fire phase of turn one followed by a yahtzee on random selection eliminated the artillery observer and a squad in X4. There was a single German squad in T10 which fell back to S10 and survived numerous shots and managed to immobilize a Sherman in its hex and completely stymied my assault through turn 2. I was finally able to break and reduce the squad in my turn 3 prep but wasn't able to move out of T10. The same mortar, which had repositioned to P8 then hit T10 with a second critical hit. This time random selection was immaterial as he rolled snakes on the effects dice roll to kill another squad and the 9-1. Having lost two and a half squads and two leaders and with the German defence almost entirely intact I conceded. Not the best start to 2022.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
BFP-148 Backs Against The Wall.....Another excellent PiF scenario. Poles win in final 1/2 turn by limiting Russians to 4 of 6 VC buildings, 5 of 6 needed for a Red win. Russians started with a massive Human Wave on the Polish right, and an MG phalanx on the left. Early on it started looking like a wipeout for Ivan until the Polish reserves arrived perfectly on time to stem the Red onslaught. Not sure how the PT went on this one, but it almost seems as if the Russians have to do at least one HW (of whatever size) to get their horns locked in/near the VC buildings before the Polish reserves show up. This was also the best showcase so far, IMO, of the 4-3-7 2nd line Russian squads. Crap range, but decent morale. Russians got 2 good stonks from their OBA, the Poles drew 2 straight red cards and retired their deck.

Honorable mention defending the R12 steeple building goes to a lone, wounded Polish Hero.....when a Fanatic 2-4-8 w/HMG finally fell, a created Hero took over the HMG and defended the steeple building until the end. The Reds had infested the building in their final 2 turns, and in the final Russian turn a Red squad Prepped to no avail. The Hero/HMG had already FirstF, but decided to FinalF at the ADJ Ivan below him. 6+2, NMC, 1,1, and Berserk! NOOOOOOO! The Russian couldn't now Advance into the steeple for CC! Assuming no Ambush, he was ready for a respectable 4:1, +1 overstacked, needing a '7' for a CR (already wounded to boot) or a '6' for a kill and a 5th Controlled VC building for the win. Great finish. Only 4 PiF scenarios left, and I seem to have saved the best for last.

And what can I say, any scenario where you get to break out the P TCA/S TCA counters (and their respective Malf counters) for those wacky double-turreted AFV.....🆒

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP139 Emergency Surgery. Had the German defender in this one. Bought mines (all converted to AT mines), roadblocks and some wire to supplement the defence. Started off badly when the M8 manoeuvred around to 79W2 and broke the 8-0, LMG and squad in W4. The unarmed jeep with HS passenger then went on a recon and found the first of my AT mines in R1 Meanwhile most of the soft skin vehicles entered via Y10 and were able to drive through and laager in the central orchard.

This suited me as the infantry gun was set up in Q2. In defensive fire and the subsequent Prep fire phase it knocked out a half track and truck, eliminating the two squad passengers. I then got greedy and malf'ed the gun on an intensive fire shot at the M20 and promptly disabled it in the the next rally phase.

US turn 2 a Hellcat bogged trying to cross the bocage hexside at U2/T1 and the second Dodge tried to force the minefield and failed. Whereas I'd been on the receiving end of a few snakes in my last game, I dealt a few out in this game, the first coming on a 4-1 when the 347 carrying the flamethrower attempted to dismount from the M20.

Turn 3 my opponent tried to go for broke to get across the river. The bogged Hellcat extricated itself and drove across the bridge and an empty half track managed to thread its way through the minefield in R1 and head for the bridge. It survived one shot from the MMG (in N1) when it reached Q1 but the MMG retained rate and fired again at it in Q2 for a hit and a snakes on the To Kill roll to leave it a burning wreck. When the M8 endeavoured to negotiate the minefield and was immobilised my opponent conceded.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DTF-3, True Grit against azslim (Gene). Gene pretty much schooled me in this one. He got good smoke at start, banzai charges got him into my face effectively and I think he won every CC we had. I had a few nice moments and if the CC on the flank had gone otherwise I think I had a chance, but it all went south as he took what he needed just before my reinforcements arrived and the planes showed up in perfect order to ensure the calvary would have to move in too slowly. It was a fun scenario for sure. I made a couple mistakes, but mostly just got outplayed. Definitely worth a look.