So what scenarios have you played Recently?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Realized I have not babbled anything about m y ASL games in a couple of months, been however playing a lot - perhaps then not having the energy to go online and write about it? Anyway here is a quick note on a scenario I liked.

Played J170 Red Churchills against my Brother Teemu. I was Finns, Teemu was the Russian. I chose the 75mm ATG and 5 dummies, Teemu took AA tanks, HMG and INF Gun.

On the north bridge I malfed my ATG on the first fire phase, the 9-2 led HMG/MMG stack killed all the defenders with low rolls, HIP 338 rolled 6 for MOL attempt. Lost the 3 hex factory quickly.

Teemu chose to ignore the center bridge. On the Southern board 59 bridge things were more tense, plentiful smoke aided Russians across but combination of the BTs, AAgun and Finn HMG extracted a heavy toll on the Russian infantry. I threw the Finnish reinforcements on board 59 and almost nailed the FT tank which then ran out of FT juice and exited for VPs. I had a reasonable chance holding onto the bigger factory until the troops from the north entered the fray and I succumbed at the end of turn 6.

This is a very good scenario. The Russian needs a good plan and careful use of smoke, but once across the bridges he has a tremendous firepower and it is very difficult to hold out as the Finns.

Despite the ROAR record I'd recommend this one. It is far from being hopeless for the Russian.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DB164, Try at Trentlehof
This scenario with Walt was a very tight match. My Americans had to cross a lot of open ground under small arms, MG, and 80mm OBA. A feint against the German right kept their troops in that area occupied for the entire game by only a platoon (+). The main effort swung to the German left. It was a hard slog with the OBA a constant nuisance. Fortunately the German armor was quickly neutralized but the US lost two M-10’s with another immobilized and abandoned. A US “Death Star” consisting of three squads, three MMG’s, and the 9-2 swung wide right and was able to get in position just in time to make a difference. Two consecutive KIA results opened up the German defense and the remaining GI’s rushed in. However, the Germans weren’t defeated yet. By the final CCPh the Germans had earned 22 CVP, two more and they’d auto-win. Two melees resulted in two US wins with no losses for the GI’s and the victory.

This was a great scenario and I recommend it highly. Walt played masterfully. If it weren’t for several key “snake eyes” then the tables would have been turned.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DB164, Try at Trentlehof
This scenario with Walt was a very tight match. My Americans had to cross a lot of open ground under small arms, MG, and 80mm OBA. A feint against the German right kept their troops in that area occupied for the entire game by only a platoon (+). The main effort swung to the German left. It was a hard slog with the OBA a constant nuisance. Fortunately the German armor was quickly neutralized but the US lost two M-10’s with another immobilized and abandoned. A US “Death Star” consisting of three squads, three MMG’s, and the 9-2 swung wide right and was able to get in position just in time to make a difference. Two consecutive KIA results opened up the German defense and the remaining GI’s rushed in. However, the Germans weren’t defeated yet. By the final CCPh the Germans had earned 22 CVP, two more and they’d auto-win. Two melees resulted in two US wins with no losses for the GI’s and the victory.

This was a great scenario and I recommend it highly. Walt played masterfully. If it weren’t for several key “snake eyes” then the tables would have been turned.
Played this one as well. My sniper earned the Cross of Iron by recalling 3 of the M-10s. Needless to say, the Americans faltered badly under the OBA and German armor. Need to try it again.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a short overview of my recently played FT225 Blue Hell at P.A. Abries with my ASL gaming pal Curtis Brooks. It features attacking Italians against the French in southeastern France in 1940. The dr game me the Italians (oh yay). I haven’t had too much luck attacking with Italians but was looking forward to the challenge. VC was to achieve more CVP than the other side PLUS Italian gains 2 VP for every “strategic location” (SVP) building hex controlled (and at least 3 SVP locations must be controlled).

The Italian set up as three attack groups – one each among four setup zones. NOTE: the scenario card setup instructions can be quite confusing so there is errata. I set up to drive straight up the middle in force. I made good progress, adjusting my tactics to account for 6ML troops, i.e., move in cover, stay concealed, etc. When I suffered breaks, the 6ML troops were really tough to get back.

The concentrated Italian firepower eventually nipped away at the defenders and a couple CCs went their way gaining them the needed SVPs. Winning a 1:1 CC weakened the French right flank and a hot sniper broke a 457 holding a key fortified building hex – also on the right flank. At this point, between the weakened French right which would open the door to more SVP locations and the current VP differential Curtis called it.

End Game

We both really liked this scenario a lot. Many choices for both sides. Interesting, all-infantry OBs. We both had OBA, which is always a huge threat, but we only got one mission down each. We tried the Pleva OBA rule and we were pulling a LOT of red cards.

As the Italian I felt they had to set up in adjoining sectors to maximize firepower and leadership rally capability. The approaches to the board 41 village are dangerous. The woods in the center could spell trouble with French OBA. However, the French spotter doesn’t have great LOS. Too, the risk of te French nabbing double CVP for prisoners meant one had to consider rout paths and CC carefully.

The French have a challenge in defending a lot of ground and must shuffle troops once the axis of attack becomes known. Curtis nipped away at the 6ML infantry (broken side 5ML) and they were tough to rally. The French OBA didn’t have much of an impact which is a critical asset in this game. Currently 6-5 in favor of the French on ROAR. Another fine scenario from the LFT guys. Very fun in that both sides have a degree of fragility. Highly recommended. A huge thank you to Curtis for another well-played game.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
DN5 Grande Ferme De Meez. Played over the last month on VASL. My defence wasn't optimum. Put the HMG and the 37* infantry gun in poor positions where they were easily overwhelmed by the attackers. Despite this it was difficult for the Germans to force there way up the northern re-entrant. The key moment actually came in turn 5 when the French OBA immobilized two German tanks in the re-entrant in a position where they could play no further part in the battle. This proved crucial in the final turns as combined with the depredations of the French ATG, armoured car and an unfortunate ESB roll, the Germans were left with no armoured support for the final assault on the farm. So with the attacker forced to charge over open ground and my average IFT roll coming out at 6.76 in our final session, the writing was on the wall and while he could get troops up to challenge for the forward two stone buildings the rear most wooden building remained just out of reach.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I finished up J160 Bienen Burnout last night. My Caucks came up a turn short to seize the center building for the win. John had a great, well thought out defense as always. Iron Cross to his observer who routinely landed his OBA accurately. My pair of wasps were fun and took out both assault guns but got a little tentative in the end. Also dropped a pair of Sherman’s into cellars (first time for that). But an excellent scenario that I highly recommend.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DB 165 A Day of Turmoil and Reverses. Rich and I did get together wed afternoon and knocked out this Stalingrad scenario in about 4 hours. I had the Germans and Rich had the Russians. The scenario starts off with the Germans needing to take task checks on all each stack of units be it actual units or dummy stacks. Well, Except for one actual stack, every other Actual Stack (read real units) failed their TC's and started the game pinned. This would end up making it very tough for the Germans to hold back the Russians at game start.

Rich starts the game by using his mortar to chuck a smoke round to cover his advancing units near the middle factory, but the Mortar did not get ROF so Rich decided to intense fire and rolled a 10 thus breaking his mortar. During the game, The Russians launch a Human Wave and succeed in gaining foot holds into the VC areas. My reinforcements show up but due to the intial pinning of my onboard units, the Russian were able to gain good positions early in the game. By turn 5 (scenario is 6 turns) we both realized that the Russian won since they had control of all hexes adjacent too CC33, gained three locations in each factory, so the game was pretty much over.

Fun scenario with the usual Andy Hershy complicated VC's and micro management set ups. The VC really needs to be looked at every turn to make sure you as the Germans or the Russians are not behind the 8 ball. We both liked it this scenario, but I really wish the designer would get away from trying to be so mico Managing with the VC's and set ups with his scenarios.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John and I finished up J160 Bienen Burnout last night. My Caucks came up a turn short to seize the center building for the win. John had a great, well thought out defense as always. Iron Cross to his observer who routinely landed his OBA accurately. My pair of wasps were fun and took out both assault guns but got a little tentative in the end. Also dropped a pair of Sherman’s into cellars (first time for that). But an excellent scenario that I highly recommend.
What a pyrotechnics display! Smoke, White Phosphorous, and flame, the Allies had it all, scary game for the Germans. Those wasps are impossible to hit, your best bet is machine gun fire against the exposed crew. The church served as a great platform for the Germans who did indeed summon the god of war from its steeple. But nothing matched the sheer joy of watching two shermans fall into cellars. Whew! no panzerfaust needed.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DB 165 A Day of Turmoil and Reverses. Rich and I did get together wed afternoon and knocked out this Stalingrad scenario in about 4 hours. I had the Germans and Rich had the Russians. The scenario starts off with the Germans needing to take task checks on all each stack of units be it actual units or dummy stacks. Well, Except for one actual stack, every other Actual Stack (read real units) failed their TC's and started the game pinned. This would end up making it very tough for the Germans to hold back the Russians at game start.

Rich starts the game by using his mortar to chuck a smoke round to cover his advancing units near the middle factory, but the Mortar did not get ROF so Rich decided to intense fire and rolled a 10 thus breaking his mortar. During the game, The Russians launch a Human Wave and succeed in gaining foot holds into the VC areas. My reinforcements show up but due to the intial pinning of my onboard units, the Russian were able to gain good positions early in the game. By turn 5 (scenario is 6 turns) we both realized that the Russian won since they had control of all hexes adjacent too CC33, gained three locations in each factory, so the game was pretty much over.

Fun scenario with the usual Andy Hershy complicated VC's and micro management set ups. The VC really needs to be looked at every turn to make sure you as the Germans or the Russians are not behind the 8 ball. We both liked it this scenario, but I really wish the designer would get away from trying to be so mico Managing with the VC's and set ups with his scenarios.
I enjoyed playing DB 165 A Day of Turmoil and Reverses.

Had a good Stalingrad feel.

Should be a tourney staple as it is every bit as good as the RB classics Turned Away and To The Rescue.

There are attacker and defender tactical options, including a defending German counterattack threat.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Unusually, finished the same scenario against two different people. The scenario was 194 THE ATTEMPT TO RELIEVE PEIPER. In both cases, I played the American defender. I had started it with Magnus Rimvall several weeks ago and we finished it today as a German victory. I also played it last weekend in the Bodo VASL tournament against Peter Rogneholt; that match ended with an American victory.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unusually, finished the same scenario against two different people. The scenario was 194 THE ATTEMPT TO RELIEVE PEIPER. In both cases, I played the American defender. I had started it with Magnus Rimvall several weeks ago and we finished it today as a German victory. I also played it last weekend in the Bodo VASL tournament against Peter Rogneholt; that match ended with an American victory.
So it's balanced. ;)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up a very quick playing of FrF90 Speed is the Essence of War with Curtis Brooks. This PTO affair had the Japanese running a gauntlet of Gurkhas with a couple 25-pounders to reach a small cluster of buildings across a flooded stream. This village area also held two 40L Bofors to make life even more challenging for the Japanese. Gurkha dice were very hot. This quickly ended for the Japanese in turn 2 who had lost three tanks and three truckloads of 3.5 x 448s, 8-0, plus the all-important DC and FT. Little more to say about this one. It was a very dicey outcome that left us both underwhelmed.

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up a very quick playing of FrF90 Speed is the Essence of War with Curtis Brooks. This PTO affair had the Japanese running a gauntlet of Gurkhas with a couple 25-pounders to reach a small cluster of buildings across a flooded stream. This village area also held two 40L Bofors to make life even more challenging for the Japanese. Gurkha dice were very hot. This quickly ended for the Japanese in turn 2 who had lost three tanks and three truckloads of 3.5 x 448s, 8-0, plus the all-important DC and FT. Little more to say about this one. It was a very dicey outcome that left us both underwhelmed.
I'll add my 2 cents ... "bark, bark, bark!"

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe a better scenario title would be Driving Overloaded Trucks into the Kill Zone is the Essence of Defeat. Just sayin....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry for the late reply, real life seems to be getting in the way of alot of stuff. Anyway, I do agree that what saves this scenario is the fact that both sides are attacking and defending, it did have a Stalingrad feel to it, so I'll give it that. Plus, even though it is a HASL scenario, what makes RB/ RO so much of a go to HASL is that it is very easy to grok and get into.

Edit: My buddy Bob came by tonight and we tried DB 165 A Day of Turmoil and Reverses again. This Time Bob got four Smoke rounds on the first turn! That really helped him get a foot hold into the Middle Factory. If the Russians get into that middle factory, there is really no way for the Germans to reinforce it from the flank.

This could have been I think a decent scenario but if the Russian get RoF with that mortar it can be over very quickly. Here is a pic of our at start game.

I enjoyed playing DB 165 A Day of Turmoil and Reverses.

Had a good Stalingrad feel.

Should be a tourney staple as it is every bit as good as the RB classics Turned Away and To The Rescue.

There are attacker and defender tactical options, including a defending German counterattack threat.

Last edited:

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow not been around in ages, but on a recent post on my blog I was asked to cross post so here you go. BFP-95 Obian Highway

My second playing of this scenario, I had the attacking Germans on this one board scenario. Fairly straightforward VC's control 3 buildings. I elected to attack via the bottom board edge in force. I felt this was likely to not suffer from bore sighting and easier to overwhelm the forward troops so long as I don't suffer KIA's. Having five leaders to fourteen squads I had plenty of rallying potential. My five tanks were nothing special, not that 8FP mg's are anything to ignore. Rob started with a ATG and a dug in T-70 and received two T34's and two valentines with all most the same quantity of squads once his reinforcements came on.
My tactic quickly paid off as I managed to move full distance in my first turn and the only loss being a Russian half squad. I had swarmed the dug in T-70 and was lucky to getting a hit to knock it out in the Russian turn 1. In reality the T-70 should have been a bigger problem as it was set up forward but my aggressive move had him overwhelmed and this was to be the story of the game. Each time I came across a strong point I was able to bring more fire than I was taking and whilst Rob was getting them to rout back he was not getting them back in good order as I would either shoot then to DM or move. This could only go on for so long before I outstripped his supports.
Turn two did see the Russian reinforcements (527's riding T34s and Valentines) and these made for the centre of the village of Novoselovka. This could not save the forward troops who started to be gobbled up.

The ATG was forced out of hiding and quickly captured and destroyed. meanwhile two squads as well as a 7-0 were removed for failure to rout and another two squads and a T34 lost for the loss of one PzIIL. Rob had every reason to curse his luck as I was constantly cycling through my broken squads whilst Rob was lucky to get anything. Having now lost two of his three leaders he was really struggling.

Now the fight for the villages centre but with me now having more than 2:1 ratio of squads and five leaders to his two (one gained through leader creation) he could not stop me moving up both sides of the street leapfrogging each building taken. The tank battle was short and vicious with one Valentine withdrawn through sniper attack, the other wrecked as was one T34 the other being immobilized a little to the rear.

I had lost one tank, another immobile away from the action and another stunned I was now able to put pressure on the final required buildings and when the defenders broke Rob simply did not have enough to get to the required buildings through my wall of troops, having two squads and two crews unbroken.
Again this scenario plays quickly and with a pair of moderately fast players should finish in a night.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A nice and recommendable scenario. I played it quite a while ago, I think even twice, and enjoyed it!

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played this one and enjoyed it as well. I opted to attack on a broad front, both along the eastern board edge and through the grain that provided good cover - this meant access to both sides of the crossroads at the village center.

My memory of the game is a bit hazy, but I believe I had a lot of trouble getting to that last VC building. What carried the day were German AFVs taking the risk of entering buildings to allow the Infantry to follow through - a kind of move I don't like to try since it can so easily backfire.